Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
As i said before, I was the luckiest guy in new mexico in the lottery, last week it was my first Antelope and this weekend was my first Big Horn. I had a depredation ewe tag for the Latir Wilderness. My hunting buddy and I hiked in on thursday and it was a killer. We overpacked... It was our first wilderness hunt and we wanted to be sure we had enough, but at around 10K' we started to dread our 50 pound packs! We took the day friday to acclimate, and get ourselves a bunch of water. Getting water was a PAIN.... our purifier kept clogging up because the lake we were camping at had a huge algea bloom. Weather was great... rained in the evenings as one could expect in the high country of new mexico this time of year and it got down into the low 40's at night. Saturday the opening morning we climbed the Mesa where we knew the sheep where. The reason we knew was because we met a guide with paying customers and he was ACTUALLY a nice guy! He told us where they were at.... helped us out. And actually gave us first crack at the sheep close to the trail since we were on foot and I was using my flintlock! (Very good guy, his name is Bill from one-on-one adventures if anyone is interested!) Anyway.... we came over a rise in the mountain and their they were! Snuck within about 40 yards and put a .495 roundball on a .020 pre lubed patch over 90grns of FFFg right into the bread basket! Then the work started.... my goodness, with 80lbs of gear on your back going down hill is almost as hard as going uphill!

In anycase, it was the hardest hunt of my life, physically but one of the most rewarding! Never thought in a million years i'd get to hunt big horns! Man i'm a blessed guy!

Camp
[Linked Image]

hike in opening morning
[Linked Image]

beautiful sunrise!
[Linked Image]

sheep down
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats awesome bud! That flintlock is COOL!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks!

Guess i shoulda 'splaind the reason for the FL. I'm from western PA and i'm stationed here in New Mexico. Muzzleloader season in PA is actually with a REAL muzzleloader. Flintlock and roundball only (up untill about 5 years ago, i think they allow maxi balls now, not certain... been away since then) When i was in Turkey i got my step grandfather a SxS 16 guage Huglu. Not to be outdone, he made me a custom .50 cal flintlock! It was one of the nicest gifts anyone has ever given to me and it is a work of art! I love hunting with it... and as some members on here can confirm, it can shoot a round ball pretty darn good! Right Dennis??

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
congratulations, a great hunt and a great experience. You will have many more in the years to come. Thank you for your service to our country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I actually shot that crazy thing and hit a 6" plate at 100 yds with his round ball load! He has set triggers and the whole works.

Jon, I still think you are crazy for carrying that surveyors tripod on your goat hunt and now packing that flag pole into a wilderness area.

Someday your wisdom will catch up with your ambition!!

Way to go. Now only elk left right??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Elk & Mule deer... both in Unit 15 and with muzzleloader, but i'll cheat on that one and use the inline! Elk seem to be my achilles tendon! This will be my 3rd shot at them since i've been out here and they always get the best of me! They are GHOSTS!

After talking to you guys, next year i'm going to apply for a couple couse deer units, ya'll made it sound too fun and its another great hunt to experience.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
you will have to get a lighter rifle!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have a M700 .280 mountain rifle that would probably be just the ticket

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats and very cool story!

Andrew
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's really cool! Did you really pack in a shovel? The hard work will make it taste that much better- Awesome!!!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
No... we didnt pack in the shovel. The guide who we befriended (bill, that i talked about earlier) told us that we could use his shovel and axe if we wanted... this was before he had his hunters in and was just setting up camp. This guy was top shelf. I hope someday i can draw a tag where i need his help! If i draw out a ram tag next year i'll take out a personnal loan to get his help!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans... cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nice gun, nice Ewe, nice story...congrats.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very cool! Congrats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Great story and I'm envious.

I can't believe there's anywhere in NM where you can have a campfire. Burn bans rule here in TX and I guess just eastern NM??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
No... we didnt pack in the shovel. The guide who we befriended (bill, that i talked about earlier) told us that we could use his shovel and axe if we wanted... this was before he had his hunters in and was just setting up camp. This guy was top shelf. I hope someday i can draw a tag where i need his help! If i draw out a ram tag next year i'll take out a personnal loan to get his help!

Excellent -- the story and the fine present you killed your animal with! Talk about a special rifle!

Also, I am glad to see you posted the name of the guiding company that was so nice to you! They should get credit for that, so HERE is the website for one-on-one adventures in case anybody here needs their services.

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations, Jon! After seeing you shoot that flinter up at the Quemado get-together, I knew that the sheep were in trouble. The rifle is as beautiful as it is deadly (in your hands and Dennis's anyway).

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Cool beans... cool

+1

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on an awesome hunt!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,951
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.