Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys. Some of you requested that I show some pics of my new extreme weather that I bought from desertmuledeer and also let you know how it shoots. I finally had a chance to take it to the range a couple of days ago (and yesterday) so I wanted to share the results. The rifle was put into a mcmillan compact edge (bedded and freefloated) I purchased from dan360 and I also put a leupold 3.5-10x40 with CDS on it. I'm pretty pleased with the results since I have not actully fine tuned a load for the old girl yet. The loads I shot through it are some tried and trued loads I use in my other 06's. Dan360 was also kind enough to give me a recipe for the 180 partition, so here are the results:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Oh by the way, speaking of old girls. I had my pre 64 model 70 fwt out one of the days with the EW and it is showing promise as well. I know these arn't tack drivers yet but give them some time. I'll work up some great loads for them when the wind dies down a bit and when temps get cooler. Here's the pre 64 model 70 fwt 30-06 using the same 165 hornady sp load:

This rifle is great and makes me question why I wanted an EW crazy, I guess when the weather gets real bad this one will stay at home grin [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Take it easy guys and enjoy your labor day weekend.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That'll do, good looking rig you're shootin too. I like the olive and stainless combination. I see on your target you were shooting between gusts, how bad was the wind over your way yesterday? it blew a steady 15-25mph easterly here all day and smoked out my area from the forest fires, smoke was so damn bad last night it was making my wife and my eyes water and sinuses burn. Not so bad this a.m.
Take care buddy,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey blackdog, yeah the wind was gusting pretty good. I probably shouldn't have even been out but I got impatient blush. I'm thinking the load/rifle are more capable that that. I only shot 2 groups and felt like I was hail marrying the last 5 shots because of the wind. I got pissed and said the hell with this and tossed them out toward the target and 4 were around 1 moa but the last one opened the group up to around 1.75" mad. Too bad about the smoke coming off the mt. H fire and affecting you guys. I think I'll be happy with this rifle and am happy the pre 64 fwt is showing promise too. Take care buddy, hopefully they get a handle on that fire.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking good BSA! I haven't shot in a few weeks. My 7wsm, 30-06, and .338 are all dialed in and tested and re-re-re-re-tested out to 500 yards so I'm not sweating it.

I work hard on this chit every year, then end up whacking a buck with my .358 at 25 yards! whistle

My only real decision is if I want to pull the scope off the 7-08 and put it on my .325 BLR for elk. I've seen .325 kick serious elk butt, and that BLR is a light, trim, 22" rifle with a FAST followup shot on tap. So I'll probably invest in a box of TSX's for it and sight it in <g>.

I'm looking forwards to hopefully at least being around elk this year (Desolation tag). Last two years we hunted the OTC Cascade bull tag and it was GRIM. Last season was shirtsleeve weather, dry as a bone and hot. Not cool.

Anyway, glad to see things are working for you!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Jeff. Hopefully things will be better in the desolation unit this year. Usually it is a great unit to hunt. I've got a couple of cousins that are going there this year. I hear you about the 358, we just don't really get the opportunity to get those longish shots here. My last bull was about 80 yards and my last buck was about 90 yards out. If I were a better hunter I could sneak up closer I guess grin. But usually its like kicking up pheasants in the summerfallow around here whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Moving forward on that machine shop we talked about!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Right on buddy. Good luck on that venture. I like it where I am at for now because it isn't so critical blush. Mucho difference between building ships and working in a machine shop. I'm glad I've got that experience as well but get the "your a perfectionist" jab every onece in a while from the guys at work. I hate that chit but I guess it comes with the teritory if that is part of your background.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Encouraging results bsa! Does the barrel heat up pretty quick?

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hey blackdog, yeah the wind was gusting pretty good. I probably shouldn't have even been out but I got impatient blush. I'm thinking the load/rifle are more capable that that. I only shot 2 groups and felt like I was hail marrying the last 5 shots because of the wind. I got pissed and said the hell with this and tossed them out toward the target and 4 were around 1 moa but the last one opened the group up to around 1.75" mad. Too bad about the smoke coming off the mt. H fire and affecting you guys. I think I'll be happy with this rifle and am happy the pre 64 fwt is showing promise too. Take care buddy, hopefully they get a handle on that fire.

Great shootin' and very promising....looking forward to seeing more pics and your load development when its not blowing so much. BTW, thanks about the smoke from the fires. It was so damned bad for a while last night I was contemplating hanging a piece of Salmon from the ceiling fan in the kitchen, setting it on low and seasoning our dinner! crazy laugh

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Great shootin' and very promising....looking forward to seeing more pics and your load development when its not blowing so much. BTW, thanks about the smoke from the fires. It was so damned bad for a while last night I was contemplating hanging a piece of Salmon from the ceiling fan in the kitchen, setting it on low and seasoning our dinner! crazy laugh

Now that made my day. Glad I wasn't drinking coffee as I read it laugh grin.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Encouraging results bsa! Does the barrel heat up pretty quick?

Hey VAhuntr, I haven't really shot it enough to see how much it heats up and how it effects the POI. If I remember correctly my last 5 shot group from it with a kind of fouled barrel (probably 25 rounds through it) and it shot a 1 1/4" group with the 165 hornady load. My pre 64 model 70 was hanging right in there with it though and this is how it shot after 25 down its tube. My fn shoulder was hurting after that though (I know I'm a wuss cry blush).

Anyway with the last 8 shots out of the fwt this is how it did:
[Linked Image]

These were shot 1 right after the other and the barrel gets hot on this one pretty quick. I don't think the EW was quite as bad. Wish I would have saved the target from the EW from its last 5 shot group. Hey, let us know how that 270 of yours does. I'd like to see the results, thanks buddy.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
bsa1917hunter,

I assume that the rifle being a 30/06 has a 22" barrel, is that correct? The stock looks to be a classic model, but when I look in McMillan's web site I can't find a checkered classic stock. Has McMillan started making a checkered classic?

Thank you,

G2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey gramps, the stock is a compact edge and yes the 30-06 extreme weather has a 22" barrel as does the pre 64 fwt. You still looking to put a stock on that 300 wsm of yours?

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
You got that right bsa. What I am concerned about, is how a compact edge would look on a 24" barrel rifle. Your's looks great at 22". I am thinking about using the Supergrade on my rifle. Would you put the stock you have on a 24" EW?

G2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice work!

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gramps2
You got that right bsa. What I am concerned about, is how a compact edge would look on a 24" barrel rifle. Your's looks great at 22". I am thinking about using the Supergrade on my rifle. Would you put the stock you have on a 24" EW?

G2

Well the closest thing I can come up with is oregon45's blue stocked 300 wsm and it looks damn nice. He's running a compact edge or "hunters edge" stock and it looks good with the 24" barrel (one of my favorites here on the fire). Hopefully oregon45 doesn't get mad I used his pic for the reference. I've actually been contemplating doing the same thing with my FN PBR XP 300 WSM. It would look just like it but with a fluted barrel:
[Linked Image]

Or you could go with your suggestion the standard fill classic supergrade stock like what Rembo has is pretty bad azz too. I really like the looks of his rifle:
[Linked Image]

That is if they make them in short action. Better look that up first I guess blush

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Nice work!

Thanks bearcat. Haven't heard from you in a while. Probably starting classes this week? Take care bud.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
We have been back in school almost 1 month already, football is full swing also. Preseason went great and we came out of it in good shape. We are 2-0 so far, we just have to stay healthy.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
We have been back in school almost 1 month already, football is full swing also. Preseason went great and we came out of it in good shape. We are 2-0 so far, we just have to stay healthy.

Sounds good.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 68 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.