Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
After seeing the thread from bsa shooting his Extreme Weather, I had to put a few down the tube on my 270 Winchester. I have yet to load anything for this rifle but I had some factory ammo sitting on the shelf. Specifically, a box of 130 grain Federal Power Shoks, 4 rounds of 130 grain Winchester PP's, and a box of 140 grain Hornady Superformance SST's.

Conditions were not ideal as it was still about 90 degrees but the wind was calm. My plan was to get the rifle close with the "cheap" Winchester PP's and then move to the SST's. Got the scope pretty close with the Winchesters and loaded up one of the SST's. Fired the shot and could not believe how far off it was. Tried another shot and it was about the same thing, so I knew I did not pull the shot. I could hear thunder in the distance so I decided to give the Federals a try. The rain began to pour down so I packed up for the evening. Looking back, I guess it's a good thing I got the "Extreme Weather"! grin

[Linked Image]

As you can see from the pic, the 2 shots in the left quadrant were the SST's and the 3 shot group was the Federals. I think this rifle has lots of promise!

l'm happy with the rifle thus far and think it will get better with some load development and break in. The trigger breaks very clean, the recoil pad does a great job and combined with the B&C stock, the rifle recoiled with very little muzzle jump.

On a side note I'm very disappointed in the Hornady Superformance ammo. This is the 4th different 270 that I have personally shot this stuff in and it does not look very promising.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice. Thanks for posting this. Looks like the 130 federals shoot very well. Maybe I should have bought a 270 instead of the 30-06. You'll be shooting 1 hole groups with some good handloads. I'm glad to see atleast you didn't hit the dime grin. One of these days I'll nail that sucker grin but I probably won't post it because I think it is a federal offense or something like that blush.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very nice. Thanks for posting this. Looks like the 130 federals shoot very well. Maybe I should have bought a 270 instead of the 30-06. You'll be shooting 1 hole groups with some good handloads. I'm glad to see atleast you didn't hit the dime grin. One of these days I'll nail that sucker grin but I probably won't post it because I think it is a federal offense or something like that blush.

My goal was to put 3 more shots around the dime but it started raining before I could finish! grin

Last edited by VAhuntr; 09/04/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good shooting to both of you fellas. I still haven't seen an EW in my neck of the woods.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

My goal was to put 3 more shots around the dime but it started raining before I could finish! grin

Good shootin'!! how many are you hiding under that dime? laugh

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'm liking that and I'm not even a 270 guy. grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm liking that and I'm not even a 270 guy.

bsa, we'll have to see if we can fix that!

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by BlackDog1

Good shootin'!! how many are you hiding under that dime? laugh

I wish it were more but I was rained out and probably only had another 20-30 minutes of daylight left anyway.

I am pleased with how the rifle shot though. I made sure the action screws were tight and thought about removing the stock to lighten the trigger. However, I decided not to make any adjustments to the rifle, other than a good cleaning before I shot it.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are going to force me into actually getting the scope mounted on my EW .300 WSM! Just kidding (sorta). I like what I am seeing as far as results from just about all of the EWs I see posted on here. Nice work, fellas.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK
You guys are going to force me into actually getting the scope mounted on my EW .300 WSM! Just kidding (sorta). I like what I am seeing as far as results from just about all of the EWs I see posted on here. Nice work, fellas.

Hey brother, I saw the perfect scope for you last night but it sold last night too. Gunnut308 has been trying to sell that swaro 2.5-10x42 for a while now and I think he let it go for $835.00 or something like that. That was right up your alley my friend. Good thing I have some (just a little) restraint or I would have bought it.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm liking that and I'm not even a 270 guy.

bsa, we'll have to see if we can fix that!

I don't know what it is. One of my long time friends has one and he likes to torment me with sayings like "it kills deer quicker" and things like that. I gave in once and bought my son one and it is the only rifle that took an extreme digger on some rocks. I just don't have good luck with them I guess. I know they are easy to load for because I used to load for my sons rifle and it shot great. I almost bought a remington mountain rifle for $350.00 in 270 win and still can't get the boot print off my backside for not doing it. That rifle was one of the neatest things I'd seen in 270. I actually went back to the gunshop and the owner said someone told him it was worth a lot more money than that and he had raised the price to almost double what it originally was so I didn't buy it. If I had only known I would have bought that rifle and it probably would have converted me to a 270 guy right then and there.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA,

That's a nice rifle you have. What's the total weight of that rig, and do you know how much weight the Edge stock saved?

Thanks,

Jason

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
BSA,

That's a nice rifle you have. What's the total weight of that rig, and do you know how much weight the Edge stock saved?

Thanks,

Jason

I'd guess the edge saved me 1/2 a pound. I'm sorry I didn't weigh the B&C before I traded it off to blackdog1. The thing I really like about the edge is the way it feels when shouldered. It has much more drop at the heel and fits me better. Here's a template to show you what I mean:

Factory B&C stock:
[Linked Image]
I'd say it has a somewhat parallel comb on it with no drop at the heel.

Mcmillan compact edge, olive drab:
[Linked Image]

Hope this helps.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gonna stock mine in that dude when I save up the nickels. What's the LOP on your edge?

Do you do bedding for others BSA? I'll pay of course.

I suck at that stuff and don't even fool with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JM, You gonna let some southpaw wurk on ya rifle?? shocked

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Gonna stock mine in that dude when I save up the nickels. What's the LOP on your edge?

Hey JM. I generally do bedding for my friends and my own stuff. The length of pull on the edge is 13.5" with the 1" decelerator. I'd do yours too for nothing if you lived closer. When the time comes we can talk more about it. My boss is an FFL so you could have the rifle shipped to him if you really wanted me to do the work. Maybe send the bedding material you want me to use with it and don't worry about paying me. Just don't tell anyone I'm that cheap blush. I'd also pay a little extra and have mcmillan put in some pillars, if I were you. Shipping would probably be $20.00 to $25.00 each way if I were to do the work.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
JM, You gonna let some southpaw wurk on ya rifle?? shocked

gunnut, I really liked that swaro you had for sale. Wish I could have afforded to buy it frown

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hated to part with it. Gonna try and fill an archery elk tag in CO in a few days, so I can sure use the extry coins fer trip money. Can't wait to feel my lungs trying to find air laugh

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As soon as the rifle season is over we will be talking grin I want to learn how to do bed some rifles. I have a AW in 270 and another in FW in 06. Are house calls in order wink

VAhuntr My 270 really likes the 130's the 150's not so much. I have gotten great groups with the 130 partitions believe it or not? It took 50 or so rounds to settle down then it got very accurate or maybe the shooter got better.

Last edited by ehunter; 09/05/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Hey JM. I generally do bedding for my friends and my own stuff. The length of pull on the edge is 13.5" with the 1" decelerator. I'd do yours too for nothing if you lived closer. When the time comes we can talk more about it. My boss is an FFL so you could have the rifle shipped to him if you really wanted me to do the work. Maybe send the bedding material you want me to use with it and don't worry about paying me. Just don't tell anyone I'm that cheap blush. I'd also pay a little extra and have mcmillan put in some pillars, if I were you. Shipping would probably be $20.00 to $25.00 each way if I were to do the work.

Was thinking about the pillars as well. That is mighty nice of you. I'll have to order one with a 13.75 or 14" LOP. At least let me force a free Pronghorn Sling on you for your trouble. wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,555
Posts18,491,722
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.