Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
strut64 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Does Boyd's deliver a good Stock? I am interested in one of their products but would like some feedback. when they say semi-inleted how much more work is required. Is the laminated wood strong enough, etc. Thanks in advance

HR IC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If in doubt on finish work,you'd best pass.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The wood was plenty strong enough for a 308 HB.

Did have to do some channel work, and some work on the inletting, but not alot.

Heard others had more struggles, but never seen the extent in person to judge the "pain-in-the-ass" factor.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've only owned one, a Varminter stock for a Howa. The stock was strong, and the barrelled action dropped right in (in fact, I had to glass it in) it was a pretty loose fit. I had to do quite a bit of work to make it fit ME, the comb was too high to run a cleaning rod into the bore, so I took the comb down some, I didn't like the extremely wide forearm, so I narrowed that down some, too, and the pistol grip was too big around for my hands, so I whittled on THAT, too.

All told, none of that work was tough to do (I worked in a wood shop at the time, so I just took it to work and did the mods at lunch). They are a pretty good value, in my estimation, I paid $87 for an inletted, unfinished stock, and that's what I got. The finish work we do all the time, so that was no big deal for me to do.
If it sounds like I didn't like it, that's wrong, it came out pretty well, and did what I asked of it, a handle for a rat rifle.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Semi-inletted will require a good deal of work, particularly if you're installing a military action.

My experience with Boyds stocks is that the inletting is pretty tight/accurate for commercial actions and that they generally need little work if you're installing a standard/sporter barreled action. OTOH, the inletting for military actions can be a little small, leaving you room to fit your specific make/model of military action, a good thing, or they can be a little large, so that you've got to fill gaps. I have yet to have a Boyds stock that was inletted particularly tight for small ring Swedish Mauser bottom metal and I'd much rather trim than fill.

I recently installed a finished Boyds Prairie Hunter stock on a Marlin XS-7 barreled action and had to return the 1st stock that they sent to me, as the barrel channel was cut off-center. The replacement stock was fine and required very little fitting.

Compared to Wenig stocks, Boyds are kinda primative. But compared to Richards Micro-fit stocks, Boyds seem almost perfect.

JEff

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I bought a "Finished, drop-in" for a savage and it did just that - perfectly. I will buy from them again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look at the bright side....it's not an MPI..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a Boyd stock on my 6.5-06AI. The Interarms Mark X action dropped right in before I sent it off to Krieger to get barreled. Can't say how much work they had to do on the barrel channel or action area when they glass bedded it.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I did a semi-inletted/unfinished one on a swedish mauser
Quite bit of work to make it fit.

Got a inletted/finished drop in for a Vanguard. Could have dropped it right in and gone to work with it except I have a timney trigger in mine and had to do a little dremel work for that.
I did need to open the barrel channel a little so it would float and bedded the front of the action.

The JRS is what I used on the Vanguard and it fits me very well.
It is a little full figured in the forend, but that could be reduced if one wanted to easily enough.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Got one for a Vanguard.Fully finished and good snug fit.I will buy another.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I own about 10 of them and have done about 15 to 20 for other people... for the money they were one heck of a value in my book..

the newer ones are even better in Q C in my opinion, especially considering the cost...

they are a solid stock, a solid company, good Customer service and excellent value...

what is not to like?

my only complaint is they are not offering as many laminate colors as they use to...beyond that, I love 'em!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got one for my Whelen " Ruger" dropped right in.

[Linked Image]

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done a couple for FN Mauser's, I had to do some final fitting up of the in-letting.... nothing to difficult or terrible to accomplish. A little in-letting black, sharp tools and patience will get'r done. Last one I did was a bit over 5 or so years ago, The last stock I received seemed a little portly in some of the dimensions. I slimmed the for-end down, same with the butt stock, deepened the flutes and reshaped the top of the comb to trim it down also. Both pieces were not too soft and they weren't all that dense either so they took a 18 LPI checkering OK. They were actually nice pieces to start from considering the price and you'll have enough material to slim and sand down to where you want it to be.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd stipple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not something you see much of these days...

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Joe Average ain't very bright,as this thread attests.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked one up for my 7-08, could have been a drop-in, but I was wanting to do a bedding job anyway. It works well, seems plenty strong enough, and looks good, too. The pad could be better, but from what I understand from searching for it, the Limbsaver for a 1300 Winnie shotgun is a near perfect fit. Haven't tried it yet to be sure.

I bought the Ross thumbhole in pepper laminate.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
They were actually nice pieces to start from considering the price and you'll have enough material to slim and sand down to where you want it to be.

That's been my experience as well. I'm working on a couple right now, one for a Mk10 action and the other a Santa Barbara.

I do a lot of sculpting with a dremel around the grip and bore two 1in. holes up into the buttstock with a Forstner bit to take some weight out of them (there's plenty to work with). Makes a big difference to what came out of the factory.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Boxer

30 seconds of self realization?

that and a couple of thousand AA meetings and you'll be your old self in no time...

The longest journey still starts with the first step...

So you go Girl... we're all behind your recovery efforts..

Last edited by Seafire; 09/07/11.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I just put one on my 375 Ruger. Had to open up the barrel channel a bit but it wasnt a big deal.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

that and a couple of thousand AA meetings and you'll be your old self in no time...

Shefire you quantify inherent boobtitude but are sadly too dense to know it. To cheer you up,everyone else does and such recognition oughtta inflate your psyhche. Enjoying the Rutledge chronicles as if they're "new". Do continue in your profound haze of "enlightenment".

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seafire

Shefire you quantify inherent boobtitude but are sadly too dense to know it. To cheer you up,everyone else does and such recognition oughtta inflate your psyhche. Enjoying the Rutledge chronicles as if they're "new". Do continue in your profound haze of "enlightenment".

one can see quickly that your English skills haven't had time to improve at all...

you need to spend more time, learning to communicate and less time hitting the bottle.....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shefire,shoot more and type less it'll much help your Game. Pun be intended,yet unfortunately overlooked.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Shefire,shoot more and type less it'll much help your Game. Pun be intended,yet unfortunately overlooked.

Thanks for setting me straight Barbara...

I was all concerned about your opinion on that subject...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Do not confuse opinion with fact,as it'll lead you to where you are.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do not confuse opinion with fact,as it'll lead you to where you are.

Where is that Barbara, Laughing at you while you get more of a morning buzz going???

You being a legend in your own mind is sort of hilarious, especially as you get more ScheissFaced...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hell toots,I'm a Legend in your mind too and it's one of the few things you get right. Bless your heart.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I ordered a "Sundra" style - and they sent me a thumb-hole. I wouldn't have ordered in a thousand years.

But, they offered to replaced it - but I decided to try the thumb-hole - and I enjoyed it. It's now topped with a 22 CHeetah.

The stock was the "drop-in" complete version and then I custom shaped it a bit to better fit my own hand.

I am very impressed with the quality of the stock they sent. They were willing to make everything right too. I recommend them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Harry would be proud.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Don't mind Box Car, I'll bet he is an MPI kind-O-guy. Grin...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Doc knows stocks.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just like Ronald knows burgers...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Both have signs denoting: "Unbelievable Number Of Idiots Sold To". For just reason(s).

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Both have signs denoting: "Unbelievable Number Of Idiots Sold To". For just reason(s).

Oh my Gawd....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Joe Average ain't too bright. PT Barnum had it figured well.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Joe Average ain't too bright.
And neither are you. Dumbass !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Indeed,you MUST tell yourself something Joan. Bless your heart.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You are a class act Box Car Willie.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've a few plywood handles and ain't forced to guess.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hell toots,I'm a Legend in your mind too and it's one of the few things you get right. Bless your heart.

keep dreaming Barbie....keep dreaming..

hey, here is something that might help you out with that little social problem you have...

Service Material from the General Service Office
THE TWELVE STEPS OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol�that our lives had become
unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to
sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we
understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature
of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make
amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do
so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly
admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with
God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us
and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to
carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our
affairs.
Copyright  A.A. World Services, Inc.
Rev.5/9/02

Last edited by Seafire; 09/08/11.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seafire- I bought a Walnut from them that has really grown on me. Wasn't aware at the time that they could do checkering for it but I kind of like the businesslike look of the rifle now. Mine dropped right in but like another mentioned, I wanted to do a bedding job anyway. I was surprised at just how nice it looked when it arrived. Very satisfied and think it was a bargain.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.