-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2/7th, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). A photo history of the 1st Cav at the 101st base???

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by jorgeI
"no biggie"???? I beg to differ sir. What you and your brothers did there is the quintessential example of one of my favorite quotes; "The price of freedom is a value the protected shall never know" and that is why I go NUTS when all the isolationist kooks around here call guys like you (and my limited combat time) "warmongers." Sir what you did was not big, it was MONUMENTAL.

Jorge, it was my job so I did it. Don't be trying to swell my head. We flew in and out, those guys LIVED it for DAYS!

You left out that guys like you were our lifeline. No ammo,no water,no chow, no live to tell lies about it all. Guys like you,for me guys like Woody and Brother Jorge.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of men I admire, and ET shows up! smile . Flying in and out of that place in a friggin helo took brass balls amigo...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OK, I was just a passenger, I went where the pilot took me.

We sure didn't want to leave the guys on the ground hanging though.

Gimme a break here, somebody had to do it and it was my turn in the barrel.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nope, you're my hero smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little story of an aftermath to LZ X-Ray and one of its stalwarts. Joe Galloway was a reporter. Legendary. He was with Ltc. Moore at Ia Drang. Well, many years after, Desert Storm Gen Schwarzkopf put reporters in a pool and assigned them where HE wanted. Except that the Divisional Commander of the 1st Cav heard that Joe Galloway was a pool reporter. He told Stormin' Norman he would only accept Joe. Imagine the reporters watching as the 1st Cavalry Division sent a helicopter for Joe galloway alone. He was brought to the front lines of the Cav. A Ltc. approached and SALUTED him. "Sir,welcome to the "Fighting Falcons". The artillery unit that fired NON-STOP for days in support of 1/7 at X-Ray from LZ FALCON. That is where their name came from. The entire Artillery Battalion was standing inspection formation FOR A CIVILIAN!!! This is the regard that Joe Galloway was held in with the First Cavalry Division. Awesome when I learned about it.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 09/13/11.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE

We sure didn't want to leave the guys on the ground hanging though.

Yeah know EXACTLY what you mean! Took me 41 years later to find out about a certain someone left hanging smile

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
2/7th, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). A photo history of the 1st Cav at the 101st base???

No, only the 101st involvement. Airmoble is now the name given to the 101st. At some point since the 70's it was dropped from 1st Cav. Div. which is at FT.Hood. They've become primarily an armored/mech. inf. Div.

The 7th Cav. was broken up also. With the 4th Sqdn. 7th Cav. being in the ROK. I don't know if the other Sqdn's of the 7th Cav. had their colors folded after the VN war or not.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Watch the video trailer in the link below for a brief interview with the reporter/photographer, Joe Galloway, portrayed by actor, Barry Pepper, in the movie "We Were Soldiers". His retelling of the "Broken Arrow" napalm drop incident from the movie truely is a heart breaker.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/27/history-to-unveil-vietnam-in-hd-with-michael-c-hall-exclusive/

History to unveil 'Vietnam in HD' with Michael C. Hall- EXCLUSIVE
by James Hibberd
Categories: Scoop
Comments 41 Add comment
Image Credit: History
Apocalypse wow: History channel is set to announce a six-hour miniseries that brings the Vietnam War into 2011 with a true high-definition telecast.

The network collected thousands of hours of uncensored war footage for the project, much of which has never previously been seen, then restored and and converted the most compelling moments to HD. Much of the footage was from soldiers� personal handheld cameras. Dexter star Michael C. Hall will narrate the project, with the words of more than a dozen war veterans voiced by Edward Burns, Kevin Connolly, Adrian Grenier, Zachary Levi, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Dean Cain, Dylan McDermott, and others.

The project follows up History�s 2009′s Emmy-winning miniseries, WWII in HD, which similarly told the story of a war using the first-person accounts of soldiers, reporters and other personnel. The miniseries premieres this fall.

UPDATE: Here�s the trailer as promised (warning, contains graphic descriptions):

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think there is an Actor/Director in Hollywood that could have taken Lt.Gen Hal Moore and Joe Galloway's Book and turn it into a movie as well done as what Mel Gibson turned out. What ever his personal short comings may or may not be, there is one thing, he knows how to make a movie. If anybody else did it, we would be talking right now what a crap fest.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for that ET, I was not aware of that.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the original topic, I can vouch that nothing around LZ English (just south of the I/II Corps line, along Hwy 1 at Bong Son pass) looked like grassy plains. Solid rice paddies in the low-lying areas; karst upthrusts and jungled mountains everywhere else.

But eastern Cambodia is a California double: great swaths of rolling grasslands cut with jungled waterways and triple-canopy hills. It was a tan and deep green mosaic in the dry season and an Irish-like emerald paradise in the wet.

From the air, the whole of Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/Thailand was stunningly beautiful. When I wasn't ducking tracers.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
When I wasn't ducking tracers.

And the heroes keep rolling in today!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

A quick check of the current structure in the 1st Cav. Div. shows 1st Bn & 2nd Bn 7th Cav. as operational units.

The Battalion designator must be the difference in separating ground Cav, from that of Air Cav. that normally goes by a Squadron designator.

Even at Ft. Hood, i was in 2nd Sqdn 6th Cav. we were an Air Cav. Squadron, not a Battalion.

We used to tease the 1st Cav. folks at Ft. Hood about their patch, the horse they never rode, the line they never crossed and the yellow down their backs, it was all in good fun and jest.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Terrain and cover is as varied in 'Nam as anywhere except there is no desert. There are areas of coastal dunes around Cam Rahn, Quin Nhon and perhaps a few other places. A lot of grasslands in the high country from the old DMZ down to Pleiku and points south. The high mountains in those regions also have some of the tallest timber on earth. It has snowed in in the region of Pleiku...saw the photos.

It's popular to view SE Asia is all wet fetid jungle or rice paddies. Ain't so.

B/2/17th Cav was the catalyst that started Hamburger Hill the day I reported for duty, first tour. Recollection has it the players were in place and spoiling for a battle. On or about 13 May '69 one of our scouts was following some phone wire up the hill and got shot down. No pun intended, but it was all down hill from there.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 09/13/11.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anyone know anything about the Sgt. MacKenzie by Joseph MacKenzie song in the movie?

It is haunting.

Here is the Sgt. MacKenzie song with both original Scottish version and English translation and the pipes. Ya gotta have the pipes.

http://www.trustinglogic.com/blog/

Here are three quotes:
Joseph MacKenzie wrote the haunting lament after the death of his wife, Christine, and in memory of his great-grandfather, Charles Stuart MacKenzie, a sergeant in the Seaforth Highlanders, who along with hundreds of his brothers-in-arms from the Elgin-Rothes area in Moray, Scotland went to fight in the Great War. Sergeant MacKenzie was bayoneted to death at the age of 35, while defending one of his badly injured fellow soldiers in the hand-to-hand fighting of the trenches.
[�]
Sgt. Charles Stuart MacKenzie went to fight in France during World War I and was shot in the shoulder. The military sent him home to Scotland for treatment, where the surgeon wanted to amputate his arm. Sgt. MacKenzie refused, stating that he had to go back to his men. While recuperating in the hospital, he was asked what it was like to kill "the Hun" (as the Germans were called then). He replied, "what a waste of a fine body of men".
[�]
Man you did a good job with the translation, Translating from Scots to English can be hard if you're not from Scotland but you got it pretty much bang on. Don't listen to the bawbags that tell you its crap. I'm Scottish and you did it well.

Man ye did ah gid joab wae eh translation, translatin' fae Scots tae English kin be herd if yer no fae Scotland, bit ye git it pritty much bang oan. dinny listen tae eh bawbags aht tell ye its [bleep]. Ahm Scottish an ye dun it well.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And some script quotes:

Wikiquote:
Joe Galloway: (voice-over) These are the true events of November, 1965. The Ia Drang Valley of Vietnam, a place our country does not remember in a war it does not understand. This story is a testament to the young Americans who died in the Valley of Death, and a tribute to the young men of the People's Army of Vietnam who died by our hand in that place.

[In a flashback sequence: after ambushing a French column, Viet Minh troops stand over the wounded survivors.]
Viet Minh soldier: (in subtitles) Do we take prisoners?
Lt. Nguyen Huu An: (in subtitles) No. Kill all they send, and they will stop coming.

General: The White House anticipates a buildup and wants a victory... over cavemen in black pajamas.
General Kinnard: We wouldn't be there if they hadn't already beaten the French Army.
[�]
Hal Moore: So, your men call you "Snakeshit".
Bruce "Snake" Crandall: That's an affectionate appellation from my comrades-in-arms, sir, 'cause I fly lower than snake [bleep].
Moore: Well, I got a problem, Snakeshit, and I think you're the solution.
Crandall: I've been called a lot of things, Colonel. Never a solution.
Moore: You know what "Air Cavalry" really means? You fly into hostile territory, outnumbered, ten thousand miles from home. Sometimes the battleground's no bigger than a football field. And if the choppers stop coming... we all get slaughtered. Now, I figure chopper pilots won't fly into hell for strangers, so � I'm Hal Moore. (they shake hands)
Moore: They want to fly with you for some reason. I guess it's 'cause they think you're the best.
Crandall: That's 'cause I only recruit the dumb ones, sir.
[�]
Sergeant Savage: Good morning, Sergeant Major!
Sergeant Major Plumley: How do you know what kind of god-damn day it is?

Sergeant Savage: Beautiful morning, Sergeant Major.
Sergeant Major Plumley: What are you, a [bleep]' weatherman now?

Moore: Now, I hope you men like training, 'cause me and the Sergeant Major... we love it!

Moore: When Crazy Horse was a baby, he nursed at the breast of every woman in the tribe. The Sioux raised their children that way. Every warrior called every woman in the tribe "Mother". Every older warrior, they called him "Grandfather". Now, the point here is that they fought as a family. Take care of your men. Teach them to take care of each other. 'Cause when this starts... each other is all we're gonna have. (Moore goes aside with new radio operator)
Plumley: Any of you sons-of-bitches calls me "Grandpa"... I'll kill ya.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
joken2 - thanks for that link with Joe Galloway's story. It was very touching. The clip at the end, where the soldier talks about coming home in uniform and the reaction in the airport brought back some poignant memories for me, of flying home on emergency leave from RVN in my dress whites for the birth of my son and not being able to get a drink or even a glance from a stewardess. I also endured the same reaction from the people at LAX when I arrived there. I had taken a military flight from RVN to Hawaii and had my mother-in-law buy me a ticket from there to LA as the military flight had a mandatory lay-over and I was in a rush to get home, not knowing how the birth was going. (My ex-wife was having some severe medical issues, hence the emergency leave to come home for a couple weeks.)
From being proud of my uniform and ribbons to feeling embarrassed and somewhat bewilderingly-ashamed.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunter 1960 said:
Good old, Hungry Lizard, aka. Hunter-Ligget. Spent about 4mo's there in 1985. Doing a test in air to air helicopter combat. My company of the 9th Avn. Bn. at Ft. Lewis, was tasked as the Blackhawk element.

They'ld mount a MILES system on the aircraft giving the P/CP the ability to aim the MILES. We were fighting against S-model AH-1 Cobras. The AH-1's were rigged with MILES also. This was before the AH-64 came out, hot and heavy.

This project was in response to how US forces could deploy against the Soviet Hokom helicopter, which was designed as a helicopter attack helicopter. Sometimes we were the OPFOR, sometimes we weren't. It was an enjoyable test.

I remember all the hoopla about air to air helicopter combat. Since we were all flying Huey's at the time we were sure we would be the first USSR "kill".

It all ended in 1989 thank goodness. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Terrain and cover is as varied in 'Nam as anywhere except there is no desert. There are areas of coastal dunes around Cam Rahn, Quin Nhon and perhaps a few other places. A lot of grasslands in the high country from the old DMZ down to Pleiku and points south. The high mountains in those regions also have some of the tallest timber on earth. It has snowed in in the region of Pleiku...saw the photos.

It's popular to view SE Asia is all wet fetid jungle or rice paddies. Ain't so.

B/2/17th Cav was the catalyst that started Hamburger Hill the day I reported for duty, first tour. Recollection has it the players were in place and spoiling for a battle. On or about 13 May '69 one of our scouts was following some phone wire up the hill and got shot down. No pun intended, but it was all down hill from there.

As I understand it, A LRRP team from L Company Rangers (101st ABN) found the initial indicators that that hill was occupied and being fortified.

We know how things developed from there.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.