Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
[Linked Image]

LH M70, Lilja barrel turned to fwt contour, McMillan Mountain rifle stock modified from RH to LH and from Rem inletting to Winchester and 1" cut off the forend (all things are possible with epoxy), Leupold 2.5-8 in old Kimber rings and bases.

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by utah708
[Linked Image]

LH M70, Lilja barrel turned to fwt contour, McMillan Mountain rifle stock modified from RH to LH and from Rem inletting to Winchester and 1" cut off the forend (all things are possible with epoxy), Leupold 2.5-8 in old Kimber rings and bases.

[Linked Image]

Lookin good utah. You're right, a little epoxy and paint go a long way.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did McMillan do the inletting on that? I have a LH Model 70 in a LH Remington BDL pattern (had two but sold one) that they did for me almost 10 years ago but they won�t inlet Remington stocks for Winchesters anymore. The top has to be inletted and then the bottom has to be inletted separately.

Shame, as I�d like to replace the BDL I have, which is an old �heavy� fill, with an Edge in the same design.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
No, I did that work myself. I'll bet you could order an EDGE flattop and do it yourself. Trickest part is around the tang because the angle and length differ so much between the Rem and the Win.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice rifle!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like this too!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As I understand it, the extractor has to able to move side ways to allow it to snap over thre rim of the case. Both my tang safety Ruger and my M70 can do this.
I'm not sure I want or need this feature. So, for now, I'm leaving it as is. Just like I'm leaving the long striker fall and the long lock time in place to make sure I keep the classic mauser reliability in place for this rifle. I can always have it modified if I need it done. But, once done, I don't think I can go back to the original condition.
I'm also trying out a two position, not a three position, M70 style safety on this rifle. So far, I like it. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My old "semi-custom" 30-06... M70, barrel shortened to 21", NECG "Classic" rear sight, 2-7x33 in Burris Zee's. Bansner stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Are you looking for ideas on a hunting rig or those blued walnut jobs ?

Because a blued/walnut rifle won't kill an animal just as dead as a butt-ugly stainless/titanium/synthetic/plastic/etc. rifle...?

To each his or her own; shoot what you want, but don't go thinking a blued/walnut gun ain't a hunting rig.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ShootDogs

..... but don't go thinking a blued/walnut gun ain't a hunting rig.

Of course it is.... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Wrongside
M70 30/06:

[Linked Image]

Ooohh! That's nice!

Thanks Bob! Pretty sure this one'll hunt till the end of my days.

My buddy tells me, 'At least put a nice leather sling on that thing, so it'll have some class'... I tell him, it's a M70 and that's enough for me.:D

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very, very nice rifle, utah708. Always like seeing custom LH M70s...

Several very nice rifles on this thread. Phil, Brad, SDH, very nice gentlemen.

Last edited by Wrongside; 09/16/11.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Not exactly a Custom or the best pics but i'm proud of it;
Pre'64 FWT 30-06
Bansner Stock
Talley LWT's
2.5-8X36 Leupold

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image]

Rem Ti 700
Rock 3 22"
McM Edge
Leupold FXII 6x36 LR
Tally Alloys

MtnHtr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
My old "semi-custom" 30-06... M70, barrel shortened to 21", NECG "Classic" rear sight, 2-7x33 in Burris Zee's. Bansner stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Two of my all time fav pics and one of my all time fav rifles. I could hunt that perro hard even though it's a 06. Course I'd have those sights removed and return them to you just to be nice..grin

U've put together 3 really nice 70's my friend!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is my custom 30-06, Shawn Carkock at Defensive Edge did the smithn. #5 24 inch Harris barrel, 700 action, Tub lug, trued, HS stock, the most accurate rifle I own. Why I dont have shawn doing all my work is beyond me.

Its no light weight at 9 lbs but dam its accurate.

[Linked Image]

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by Brad

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Two of my all time fav pics and one of my all time fav rifles. I could hunt that perro hard even though it's a 06. Course I'd have those sights removed and return them to you just to be nice..grin

U've put together 3 really nice 70's my friend!

Dober

When I first came to the 'fire these pics were some of the ones that really caused me to spend a lot of time here and change a bit of what I thought I wanted in a rife.

Loved looking at those guns, along with ones posted by Steelhead and CAS.

Jim

"The skillful woodsman who knows his game, and who gets close, can keep himself in venison or moose meat with a rifle most of us would consider entirely inadequate." - Jack O'Connor
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just a classical old Bob Owen Springfield, c.1925. Blued steel and walnut from his shop in Sauquoit, NY.
[Linked Image]

A couple of years ago Roger Biesen (left, Al is in the center) touched up the bedding a bit.
[Linked Image]

But all in all, this old rifle has held its own. This is the kind of custom I've come to appreciate more as time goes by.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Just a winchester model 70 extreme weather that shoots great and handles very well. Oh, forgot to mention it is a 30-06.

Now that's a good looking rifle. What model Edge is that? How does it shoot?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NWO
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Just a winchester model 70 extreme weather that shoots great and handles very well. Oh, forgot to mention it is a 30-06.

Now that's a good looking rifle. What model Edge is that? How does it shoot?

Thanks, but it isn't really a custom like some of these others. It is fairly new to me and has been shooting very well with the limited loading I've done for it. Most loads have been going into a little over 1 moa for 5 shots. I've got some very nice 4 shot groups that are around 3/4" and one 3 shot group that was a hair less than 1/2". I'm just happy it is shooting the 180 partition load at around 2750 fps. Here's one of the most recent groups shot from yesterday:
[Linked Image]
This was shot with my 165 hornady sp load running right around 2800 fps. Not perfect, but getting there..... The stock you asked about is a compact edge mcmillan and I'm really liking it. Couldn't be more happy with the whole package. Got a custom dial coming for the new leupold 3.5-10x40 for the 180 parttion load. Anxious to play around with that.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.