Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This question is asked all the time...

I fitted one to a Model 70 Short Action.. got the barrel last spring, mounted it this summer... Pulled it out and put a Hogue Rubber Stock on the action/barrel...Barrel is chambered to a 260 Rem, with a one in 8 twist...

about 100 rounds down the barrel, and here are results that I got.. load was 33 grains of H 322, CCI LR Primer, Sierra 85 grain HP bullet...Scope used was a Bushnell Elite 3200 ( 3 x 9 ) that I horsetraded a member from Oklahoma for another Elite ( 1.5 x 4.5)

at 50 yds: 3 shot group...

[Linked Image]

at 100 yds, the group opened up a little...

[Linked Image]

I left off the dime I was shooting at and missing with each shot...you know how some of the forum complainers are...

I can also attest to adding 3 M Blue Painters tape to the barrel helped immensely...without it shots were about 15 to 20 MOA... grin

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JB has been saying about the same thing with Shaw barrels of late...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have fit a few of Shaw's barrels and have not had one yet that would not shoot well.I had a 243 once that the first shot didn't hit the target,just a cloud of gray smoke.Went back to the shop looked at the load data,thinking I had made a mistake.The load was a middle of the road load,so it was not a max.
After running a cleaning patch through the bore I went and load a few more shells.They all shot perfectly.To this day I don't know what happened,but they shoot if fitted well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Seafire,

Wow!!! fantastic shooting. Does does matter if Shaw barrels are any good, everything you touch shoots.

Doc

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ive heard good things about em and Im getting one fitted up now in a 338-06 and we will see shortly if the proofs in the puddin.

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Seafire,

Wow!!! fantastic shooting. Does does matter if Shaw barrels are any good, everything you touch shoots.

Doc

Thanks Doc... but not really..

I can suck with the best of them, frequently!

this just shows the barrel and the load are good....

I am not a 'store bought ammo' type of guy.....

but this is going to be used for hunting at 30/30 ranges...
on antelope sized deer..

shows what the load will do, but I am sure that some folks will notice the load and call it a 'stunt' on my part..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used one chambered in .358 Win. since 80 something and killed deer and elk with it. Last group it shot with 200 Hornady S.P. went into .8". Yesterday I had it at the range shooting cast loads (my favorite) and at 50 the holes touched while at 100 they were 1.75" in the wind. I can't complain.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You think their Savage Drop-in Barrels are just as good?

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I had one on a Runger M77, tang safety in .358 Win. the thing shot lights out with factory winchester stuff.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Enrique

I don't know as mine is on a M.70 action but, I really don't see why there would be any difference.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
IC B3

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yeah, I have a 7/08 barrel on a Savage short action...

it does the exact same thing as this one does...

at least with bullet weights from 100 to 140 grains, as that is all I have shot thru it...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have ER Shaw barrels on a .243, a .270 and a .358. All are very accurate and 1 is scary accurate.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I put a Shaw barrel on my 243 AI and it is shooting well under an inch. It was a 2.5 contour closeout for $65.

Great shooting SEAFIRE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I did a write up over on PM on the one I got....its a shooter.

Back from the range. I ran 75 rounds through the ER Shaw barrel. 5 shot groups for all targets.
Using only W748, 50g vmax and 4 loads using the 55g vmax.
Charge was the same in all loads @ 27.5g. Seating was from 2.230" to 2.280".
So I am now pretty happy with the barrel & it performed 100% better than it looked inside with the borescope.
My smallest 5 shot group was .490" and the biggest was .830" with the 55 vmax.
Best COL is at 2.270" - 2.280"
I also had 1 load using Midwayusa dogtown 55 JHP bullet which performed better than the 55gr vmax, grouped at .620". This had to be seated at 2.180" but it does not feed well as the tip likes to get hung up at the bbl chamber.

I will now say the ERShaw .223 1/14" twist barrel kit from Midwayusa is a very good shooter and I have good remarks about its shootability even if the bore did not look good.
I lapped it out with Uncle Eds bore paste with sweets cleaner between every 10 shots WHICH I normally never do with a new bbl ever.
I will give it a thumbs up for the cost, kit, ease of install, looks and shooting results as of now.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
ER Shaw barrels shoot, but you better lie on the 'fire and tell everyone it is a Brux, Krieger etc, or you will be laughed at.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
ER Shaw barrels shoot, but you better lie on the 'fire and tell everyone it is a Brux, Krieger etc, or you will be laughed at.

+1 I am laffin at this because I put a new Adams and Bennett F34 on a Mauser, chambered in 7x57. Added an ambi-thumbhole MPI stock, Timney trigger and called it good. I broke it in as per Shilens procedure and worked up some loads with 140gr NBT's.

At the range, my 11 yr old daughter was getting ready for last years youth hunt and was shooting solid 1 in groups off the bench! One of the guys watching her asked about the rifle and I said it was an A&B barrel. He said that there was no way that a $78 barrel could shoot and asked again what barrel was on the rifle. I said, "ok, it's a match select Shilen". He said, "I thought so"! Funny!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Amen! LOL

Longshot, I have one A&B (35 Whelen AI) and it shoots bugholes. $79

Murphy was a grunt.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not just a barrel, but I sent them a Turkish M38 action. It has a Large Ring Small Shank configuration. It came back with the bolt handle bent and polished. The barrel and action were blued. The barrel is a 26", 2.5 Shaw contour, and an 11 degree crown. Its chambered in a 6.5 x 55 Sweed and consistently shoots under .5" at 100 yards. All that work came in around $360. I would not hesitate to add another Shaw barrel to one of my rifles.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by longshot3
[quote=dogcatcher223] ...it was an A&B barrel. He said that there was no way that a $78 barrel could shoot and asked again what barrel was on the rifle. I said, "ok, it's a match select Shilen". He said, "I thought so"! Funny!

Ha ha this is my experience as well. Mine is an F34 chambered to 257 AI and it regularly tosses out 3 shot groups like this at 100 yds w/ 100 gr Interlocks and IMR-4350, but this one was shot at 200:

[Linked Image]

More to the point, my experience reflects that of Seafire on ER Shaw. I purchased a 338-06 barrel for Sav 110 through Brownells in kit form and it shot lights out, though taper was a bit heavy for my taste. I sold that here and ordered another in a lighter taper in the AI version of that same cartridge.

I'm ordering a fast-twist 243 AI for my bro soon.

For $180 shipped (CM), a switch barrel isn't out of the question... I'm thinking my 338-06 AI will interchange nicely w/ 6.5-06 AI!!!!!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'll jump on the wagon also about E R Shaw barrels. Had them build me a remington 700 358 Win 20" #3 contour done in matte finish. This was done just before Ruger came out with the Hawkeye. I let my friend print the first 3 shots with 200gr Hornady and Win 748. The 3 shot group was a single hole at 50 yards. I made a minor scope adjustment and took the next 3 shots. Same results. 1 large hole. At 100 yards it will still print 1 very large hole with 3 shots touching. Very accurate barrel and I couldn't be more happier with my first build other then maybe using a smaller contour. The #3 contour is .75 at the muzzle but the rifle with a remington wood stock balances on the front floor plate screw.

[Linked Image]

Leupold Dual-Dovetail bases with medium rings and a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36.

Ken

Last edited by firearms44; 09/18/11.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.