Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats on a beauty of a ram! You earned that one. Thanks also for the detailed list and critique of each item. It helps to get objective views of items. The Taj is quite the hangout.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Congrats!Sweet Ram. Great Hunt!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very very nice ram and story, Thanks...

I'm willing to bet your one of a very rare few who have had jalapeno pepperoni pizza in sheep camp...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
John
Nice ram. We saw sheep every day on the other side from ya too. Never found a legal bull but saw 10 or so bulls,half of them in bow range. Carolyn got same pics of moon,lots of pics of northern lights too. Sitting in seatac on the way home now. Great to meet ya!
Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Jeff, it was nice meeting you as well, we'll have to do it again sometime when we have more time. We had some killer moons while we were out and the northern lights put on a helluva display a few of those nights, unfortunately I was half asleep when I watched them and didn't get any pictures. Have a safe flight back to Texas bud.

As an aside, I got a text from a buddy of mine that had the same tag as me, he and his partner found an entire, unbutchered, 47" bull moose just laying to rot on the tundra. Pisses me off that someone would waste an animal like that just because they can't judge a 50" moose. Unfortunately this seems to happen all too frequently in this area.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, we had a cow same way... shot and left to lay. I"m even pissed that the folks that witnessed it happen didn't gut and quarter her and call the State boys and at least salvage the meat....

if it ain't there, 50 inches that is, don't shoot, and if you make a mistake man up to it. Waste makes it worse.

Won't even get into the rudeness of ATVs, folks walking into a camp and shooting a bull right in front of a friends tent without even asking. Or the fact that I never ever heard a single shot. Did hear 2 shots twice. Otehr than that I'm thinking the next thing is folks will petition for a full auto rule of use... damnit all man, 9 shots on a moose? WTF.

Rant mode off.

I'm so glad you got a ram! I'd give my left and right one for one. But thats life, I feel privileged to have seen some. And to see pics from folks that are successful!

Will be diggin into the "shipping fees" for the ammo this week at break time!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We have the same trouble, rude phuggin hunters that think they own the hunting area. Been hunting this place since about '93 and we always welcome folks into our camp and treat them with respect and kindness.

These new jackoffs that now hunt there try to run folks out and act like their tresspassing on their property. There's one guy that built a small cabin on STATE land where the trail ends in the drainage and he keeps it locked, if i'm not mistaken, that is illegal and I wish F&G would burn it to the ground. USe to be F&G would set up a check point near the trailhead and check everybody that came out, they stopped doing that and now most can shoot illegal bulls and get away with it.

My pards and I are going to find a new area that will hopefully hold some good bulls and doesn't get a lot of pressure, a pipe dream I know but it's worth looking into. Ok, i'm done ranting now.

Let me know how those shipping fees turn out and did you guys eat that filet I gave you?

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a great time. I can only dream in this state.

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
We have the same trouble, rude phuggin hunters that think they own the hunting area. Been hunting this place since about '93 and we always welcome folks into our camp and treat them with respect and kindness.

These new jackoffs that now hunt there try to run folks out and act like their tresspassing on their property. There's one guy that built a small cabin on STATE land where the trail ends in the drainage and he keeps it locked, if i'm not mistaken, that is illegal and I wish F&G would burn it to the ground. USe to be F&G would set up a check point near the trailhead and check everybody that came out, they stopped doing that and now most can shoot illegal bulls and get away with it.

My pards and I are going to find a new area that will hopefully hold some good bulls and doesn't get a lot of pressure, a pipe dream I know but it's worth looking into. Ok, i'm done ranting now.

Let me know how those shipping fees turn out and did you guys eat that filet I gave you?

Mom is diabetic, fresh fish is a friend and so she buys salmon here from the grocery store all the time. We gave her that filet last night. Much as I love salmon, it was better fit for her to eat real fresh once again. Forgot the smoked this AM, too damn early to get up when I got up... try again on Thurs.

Had one idiot drag logs across a trail at "his" spot.... one kid almost ran over one and flipped coming around in the dark... heard it was pretty close to fist fight, I moved them one day myself and wondered WTF....

Like I said, ATVs can and are used just fine, but ATVs ruined close elk hunting, you ride around and bugle and cow call off an ATV and the elk learned. Quick. To totally shut up unless you are miles in... I learned REAL quick how to handle the situation up there though on Moose and suspect we saw many more moose and heard many more moose than the fuel wasters ever did...

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats some kind of cool stuff!

Good to see some people from Alaska actually hunting these critters. Kind of amazes me how many Alaskans post here and yet don't hunt much besides deer and black bruins...?

The ram that flares out is killing me...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kool Kool AWESOME!
jeff~

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome , gotta love it when a plan comes together. Congrats to you .

I Kill Things......deal with it..
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats on a great Ram! Very nice write up and pictures too.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great write up, thanks for the gear list and report. WOW what a great sheep, that's my dream hunt!!!

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks for the great story AK.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
congrats on a fine ram, I'd missed this before.

excellent write up and results, happy for you.

am planning on being in high country next year myself

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the kind words guys, i'm a lucky guy to be able to live in this great state and chase ovis with an over the counter tag.

Hopefully I'll be posting more hunt results like this one next fall, and with as nice big ram for the wife.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice write up on your hunt. Glad you got such a nice ram, you certainly earned it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's my wife's DCUA ram in 2011. Wet soggy trip, but still fun. Saw 4 other legal rams on this trip, consequently all after she pulled the trigger. Hard to pass up a near curl and a quarter ram.

She killed a bigger one the following year on a HT.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is that Riley Creek?

Steelhead

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.