Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Sorry for the simple question, guys, but I'm just getting started. After running the brass through the tumbler, how do you get all the polishing compound dust out of the cases?

Brian

GB4

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use walnut hull media and don't have a dust problem if I keep it changed regularly, I also don't de-prime the brass till I tumble it, save picking the primer holes clean!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Right on .Just use a rag to wipe it off

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're using straight walnut, you might try dumping in a couple of capfuls of mineral spirits. Also, invest in a birdcage type of separatar.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the walnut.
Use of a good separator also helps, I find.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had problems with that when I first started cause I didn't know better.

I started out with that Lyman Walnut media. That always coated my cases.

Since then I've gone to a 50/50 mix of plain corncob and plain ol' crushed up walnut with a [b][color:#3333FF]capfull of Flitz[/color][/b] every once in a while.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
If you are using corn media it can get stuck in the flash hole and be a problem. Each case gets the neck cleaned with a bronze brush. After the cases are cleaned, tumbled in your media, then and only then deprime inspecting each case for this problem. BTW, I ad, to my corn media, in a small amount of case polish. Case polish actually being Turtle Wax cleaning polish. Same stuff that you pay extra for at Midway for a much smaller bottle. $3.00 at Walmart for good old green Turtle Wax. I have been doing this for yrs. now with no found problems other than media has to be changed out more frequent. I do wipe all cases on a rough terry cloth towel for piece of mind after depriming and inspection for obstuction in the flash hole. Good luck and good shooting. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MTGunner
If you are using corn media it can get stuck in the flash hole and be a problem.

What MTG said,..very important. Always check the flash hole for media before you prime.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
What everyone else said plus I run a nylon cleaning brush of the appropriate size through the neck to remove the dust from it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tumbling? What's this tumbling stuff I'm hearing about?

If I want shiny brass, I buy new stuff. grin

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by MTGunner
If you are using corn media it can get stuck in the flash hole and be a problem.

What MTG said,..very important. Always check the flash hole for media before you prime.
I found that the primer pocket cleaning tool would often remove the piece of media from the flash hole. If it did not a small drill bit would handle it.

Now I use a RCBS case prep station and the flash hole deburring tool does it nicely.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Build a tool that fits the flash hole and pick it out.
I used a piece of welding rod ground down to fit,then put a wooden file handle I had laying around.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I use a lot finer mesh ground cob that is sold as a polishing media and used by the plastic industry, works great and doesn't stick in the flash holes. Can buy from several sources online...Russ

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Try throwing some used dryer sheets in while they tumble. The sheets will collect lots of the trash.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use corncob with A LITTLE polish added (happens to be Midway's). Too much polish and the mix clumps up in the case. Then maybe 20 minutes in untreated corncob which removes all traces of polish. I have a small compressor in the garage so it's quick and painless to blast any pieces of corncob from the flash hole. Kinda fun really.

Obviously I resize first so resizing lube gets polished away. Cases never have gotten so gritty that I had to worry about damaging a die, at least after a quick roll in an old towel.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toothpicks are cheap and plentiful.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But yet another excuse for picking up a compressor for the garage. I got mine just for convenience and it turned out to be one of the most used power tools in the garage. I don't remember the CFM but besides keeping tires round it's big enough to run lower volume air tools continuously and the high volume ones if I'm a little bit patient.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by manydogs
If you're using straight walnut, you might try dumping in a couple of capfuls of mineral spirits. Also, invest in a birdcage type of separatar.

I do and have one of the separators.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ask your wife or mother to save the used dryer sheets. When you throw the brass in throw a couple used used dry sheets.
Dust and such are on the dryer sheet.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The dryer things work. I was amazed the first time I tried it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 117LBS, 56 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,480,987
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.