Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deg967
Don't wanna hyjack here..but been thinking of upgrading from my Lee "starter" Anniversary kit. Will someone explain to me what a turret press is and how its a better option? I'll primarily be loading for rifle calibers, .270 Winchester, .257 Roberts and more than likely a .223 & .357 or .38 sometime in the future.

I have a Lee turret press that I sure like. Makes very good ammo and by inserting a stem in the middle you can have a progressive if you want.

I have several shell plates so you never have to remove dies. Just leave them in the shell plate and r&r it. No more adjusting dies, either.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have several turrets and leave all my dies set up. I tried to work it so the most commonly used dies are in the same turret, but I trade rifles and Chang my mind a lot, so my favorites aren't always the same.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using the Redding T-7 for about 5 years, have also used the UltraMag for around 20, and both are top notch products.

Contrary to what has been posted about the Hornady progressive press, you'd be making a huge mistake to buy it or trust them to back it. My first progressive was a Pro-Jector. Not only did it never work, they wouldn't even replace faulty parts without charge. Their new progressive press is just a warmed over version of the one I had and it was as big a POS as I've ever seen. I like their bullets a great deal, they should stick to what they know.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I switched from the Ultra mag to the T7. The Ultra mag is more robust and has a taller gap but the efficiency of the T7 is more than making up for any shortcomings. The only thing I have noticed is that I can't use my Forster bullet puller nor leave my expander mandrels in it.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The Redding T7 works and is a better design than the 6-station press that it replaced, as it has more leverage than the older model. I also use several turret tops so I can leave my dies, properly adjusted, in place, and never have to touch them again.

I use the T7 for forming wildcat cases so that puts it in a different category than other turrets. It works great!

Progressive presses are not the same as a turret, nor are they intended for the same use. I still use my Dillon for certain operations.

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TheBigJonson
The Redding T7 works and is a better design than the 6-station press that it replaced, as it has more leverage than the older model. I also use several turret tops so I can leave my dies, properly adjusted, in place, and never have to touch them again.

I use the T7 for forming wildcat cases so that puts it in a different category than other turrets. It works great!

Progressive presses are not the same as a turret, nor are they intended for the same use. I still use my Dillon for certain operations.

I do a lot of experimenting, and a lot of die changes. Usually not loading hundres of round at a tim. That is why i'm going with the Redding.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter

I do a lot of experimenting, and a lot of die changes. Usually not loading hundres of round at a tim. That is why i'm going with the Redding.

Same here. A progressive such as a Dillon wouldn't even be an option for me.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,521
Posts18,509,659
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.