Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
.22 CHeetah. I came across a firend the other day that had a rifle made up in .22 CHeetah fro pronghorns and Muleys.

I know that there's the MKI and MKII, the former has a 40 degree shoulder and the latter has a 28 Degree shoulder. I know that the .243 Winchester brass is the preferred brass for making the .22 CHeetah. That's just about the end of my knowledge.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The short barrel life expectancy and marginal ballistics would lead me to look for something more practical, the .243, if for deer.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DOesn't the Cheetah use small rifle primers, so it is basically a 22-308 BR. In the most technical sense, 22-243 is not 22 Cheetah.

Stupid fast, and of course nasty on pipes as are all super fast, terribly inefficient, and ridiculously fun chamberings. But if was a hunting gun, and assuming you could work up a load in say...oh, I don't know...say... 300 shots ;), you would still have 500+ to smoke things with. Prolly need a new pipe in 30 years.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
It's a barrel eater!!!!

You can call me what ever you want to, just don't call me late for dinner.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
The short barrel life expectancy and marginal ballistics would lead me to look for something more practical, the .243, if for deer.

And the barrel eater comment as well. BOLOGNA!

I have had one of each. 9 times out of ten when a big 224 is thought to be burned out it is copper or, of late, hard powder fouling. Removed with Black Powder Gel and other compounds. Derby, you had the stuff in your post right on. It is a fun and flat shootin cartridge and I will build another soon or a 22/6mmAI. Speed kills.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MShuntfish
DOesn't the Cheetah use small rifle primers, so it is basically a 22-308 BR. In the most technical sense, 22-243 is not 22 Cheetah.

Stupid fast, and of course nasty on pipes as are all super fast, terribly inefficient, and ridiculously fun chamberings. But if was a hunting gun, and assuming you could work up a load in say...oh, I don't know...say... 300 shots ;), you would still have 500+ to smoke things with. Prolly need a new pipe in 30 years.

Much better said. Right on RE primers etc but I got tired of forming down 308BR brass and neck turning them and just went with 243 brass necked down then used, large primers and all. If anyone here is taking 300 rounds to work up a load then they are probably starting out with a dog of a barrel at the outset. Especially on a deer and antelope rifle the barrel life would be plenty long and, like you said a REALLY fun cartridge to play with. Everyone really ought tohave one.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The goal of all true rifle looneys should be to burn out as many barrels as possible in ones lifetime.

The CHeetah sounds like a bunch of fun to me.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy the reamer , order two barrels and shoot the hell out of it.

22-6mm AI sounds like fun, after I get bored with my latest project. I'm going with a 338 Ultra Mag necked down to 6.5 with a 40 degree shoulder, that should work wonders on a Benchmark barrel. I'll find out.

Last edited by SMACK; 09/28/11.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another name for that 22/6mmAI is the 224TTH or Texas Trophy Hunter. A nearby gunsmith uses one with a fast twist Lilja 3 groove barrel to win the regional 1,000 yard benchrest matches.

Luvin the sound of that 6.5/338RUM! Do report on it when you get it all up.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've a couple Mach One's and like the LR primer route and form with virgin 243 after turning. It's a pain in the ass,compared to say the 22-250AI which I much prefer.

An 8" twist 22-250AI is where it's at and if wanting more,the 243AI is the answer due to better BC's. The 6mm/6mmAI in any guise,is a heavy concession in s/a due to case length.

I shoot them all.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm hijacking....but only for a moment....

I have a ABS wrapped BenchMark that will be here in a month or so that I will have punched into 6.5 WSM. This will be #2 in that chambering for me. I built the first one on a LA and I am going to try this one on a short. I know, I know, don't say it. I am building a hunting rifle. Anyway, 6.5 RUM would probably let you get 140's up to almost 3500, 3400 should be no problem given enough tube. The 6.5 WSM on a LA will get you to 3200ish with a 27" barrel. That would be a LR phenom....can you imagine Berger 140s at 3400+?

Originally Posted by SMACK
Buy the reamer , order two barrels and shoot the hell out of it.

22-6mm AI sounds like fun, after I get bored with my latest project. I'm going with a 338 Ultra Mag necked down to 6.5 with a 40 degree shoulder, that should work wonders on a Benchmark barrel. I'll find out.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought TTH was 22-6mm without the improved part. I might be mistaken...it happens quite often crazy.
Originally Posted by safariman
Another name for that 22/6mmAI is the 224TTH or Texas Trophy Hunter. A nearby gunsmith uses one with a fast twist Lilja 3 groove barrel to win the regional 1,000 yard benchrest matches.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dd

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5592787/1

Your friend say what bullet he was usuing?

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal

Only someone thats never used one, would say that.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MShuntfish
I thought TTH was 22-6mm without the improved part. I might be mistaken...it happens quite often crazy.
Originally Posted by safariman

You could be right, I have not built one. IF it is the un AI'ed 6mm case then I will have to think up another name for the AI'ed version because I HATE trimming cases and will do the AI in a heartbeat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fast twist big capacity CF 224s are a blast. I am still pimping 22x47s but am thinking about going a little crazier one of these days. If the bullet companies ever cooperate and build a 90-100 gr bullet that is robust enough for the rigors and has a off da charts BC, I am gonna do something crazy.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Dave, I'll put that link in my favorites when I get home.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
So, out of a 700 BDL, the MKII with the 28% shoulder better for feeding out of a magazine?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dd
I alway ran my as a single shot.
The 40 degree shoulder thing can be bested in the feeding department by the 28.But a good smith can do wonderful things.
Once you blow the 40 degree shoulder you can throw the trimmer away...you'll never need it.Cheetah case actually gets .003 or so, shorter on fire forming.And never grows after that.
The 243 WCF case is a good starting point.
If you read my other posts from the other thread.Theres some very good info there.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Dave. Just read your other thread.

I'm just at the curious stage at this time. Don't know what I'm going to with the rifle. It's been suggested to turn the rifle into a 6MM-250 but who knows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.