-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking to make a new shoulder rig for my 4" Security Six and need some advice. I've made some threepersons, pancake and thumbreak holsters but never made or even used a shoulder rig. Use will be field carry and maybe occasional CC under a jacket or coat. I know they come in vertical, horizonal and about every angle inbetween but what's gonna be best for my use? Thanks in advance.

CB

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm thinking of buying one of these for the range to carry my 1911.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-96-14-1942-tanker-holster-5-12-to-8-38-barrels.aspx

These should not be hard for you to duplicate. The tanker holster is good for vehicle use such as ATV, STV, horse, etc.

Of course, I don't know the use you have planned for your holster.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever style you build I strongly suggest you make the strap that goes over the shoulder which supports the holster, at least three inches wide! If you have a cartridge or magazine pouch on the opposite side, make that supporting strap the same width.

The narrow width straps on most shoulder holsters cause a sore shoulder when the holster is worn very long with a medium to heavy handgun.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
you owe to yourself to check out Bianchi

I love mine for my G 20.
It rides horizontal and I carry one extra mag on the right side for balance.
I never need the belt tie downs ( I took them off) the rig just fits and stays.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I'm thinking of buying one of these for the range to carry my 1911.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-96-14-1942-tanker-holster-5-12-to-8-38-barrels.aspx

These should not be hard for you to duplicate. The tanker holster is good for vehicle use such as ATV, STV, horse, etc.

Of course, I don't know the use you have planned for your holster.

My biggest problem with the tanker holster is the strap over the rip safety. The 1911 was designed to be carried with the hammer cocked.

On the other hand it would work well for the Security-Six.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look at Sam Andrews shoulder holsters. There are a LOT of Federal LEO wearing his leather these days.

www.andrewsleather.com

Sam......

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Shoulder holsters are great for carrying a heavy, long barreled gun in cool weather. They can work well under a jacket or coat for concealed carry if they ride in a way that doesn't print. That means that some guns are too long in the grip/frame and print easily. The horizontal style holsters for large auto pistols avoid this problem. They, the shoulder holsters, also carry the weight of a heavier gun and extra magazines very well, so again, for certain guns, with extra magazines they are prefered for good reason.
For a 4 inch revolver, you shouldn't have that problem. Still, after using lots of shoulder holsters, I'd go to a belt holster unless they simply won't work due to a long barrel, etc. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not in the military. I'm looking at the holster from the range stand point and the holster would work fine for that.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use an old brauer bros shoulder rig on my security six. In order to avoid the grip print Eremicus refers to, I rounded the butt so it didn't poke through my cardigan.

[Linked Image]

can you feel the Starsky and Hutch vibe?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am still an IWB fan but I can see times when a shoulder holster would be nice in the winter. Especially for long periods of sitting and for driving.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE

can you feel the Starsky and Hutch vibe?

Oh yeah, I feel it!!!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you're a big guy you should be able to hide a vertical without any problem. If you're not so big you can hang a horizontal below the swell of your lats, and, with a four inch, hide it pretty well.

I've sort of gotten away from these; I own a few but seem to prefer waist carry (Comp-Tac style kydex) or a drop leg. Har. Preference is what it's all about, no?

Last edited by Joatmon; 09/29/11.

Si vis pacem para bellum
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Scott F
I am still an IWB fan but I can see times when a shoulder holster would be nice in the winter. Especially for long periods of sitting and for driving.

I'm with you Scott,
as cooler weather arives it's nice to slip the shoulder rig on and off and then cover it with a jacket.
Makes sitting in the car much easier.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Take a good look at the shoulder rigs offered by Galco.

μολὼν λαβέ
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My old Milt Sparks for my S&W 29 (BTW, I replaced the original leather straps with elastic bands to improve wearing comfort).
[Linked Image]

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've, too, have been considering a shoulder holster for my Beretta 92. I'd like to find a "bandolier" style holster that will distribute the weight across the body.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chris Brice
Use will be field carry and maybe occasional CC under a jacket or coat.

I've posted this pic several times. It's the El Paso Saddlery Tanker for a 4" N-Frame. I use it for field carry, usually when toting a shotgun. I find it much more comfortable than a belt holster but that could just be my preference; I hate stuff hanging on my hips if I'm climbing or hiking hard. This could be adjusted to ride farther around to the back if preferred.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Guides Choice chest holster that I carry a 4" Redhawk in. I like it better than I do a shoulder holster.

Guides Choice

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.