-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another interesting product for the bottom is Keeleasy.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rough up gelcoat, glass over keels with heavy oz fiberglass tape. Use a flexible epoxy like g-flex. Coat entire bottom with three coats of interprotect 2000E epoxy primer.

2000E is very abrasion resistant, 5 years of rocks and gravel-laden river won't remove it.

It's is my preferred primer coating, having used it for over 10 years, priming dozens of boats.

I have pushed a Scott canoe through class lll water loaded with moose and camp in boat. Keels get ground out of the boat. I've repaired a number of them. The above is how I permanently repair them. Great boats!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have put Wetlander on four hulls, all of them aluminum, and have been less then impressed.

Its an epoxy type paint with silicone in it that makes a very slick surface.

My reason for installing it was to protect against rocks and other subsurface obstructions, that can punch through aluminum or easily gash it.

I bought it after hearing a lot of hype and doing a lot of due diligence. Paid big money for it figuring if it did what it claimed I'd be way ahead.

Despite following instructions to a tee, I find it chips and cracks easily. I'm thinking maybe because my boats are overturned for storage with bottom facing up to shed the weather, that the sun weakens it. Dunno.

Whatever the reason, I would not do it over. Just use good old oil based paint. Think camo, dull dead grass, olive drab, marsh green, etc. Which also chips and scratches but which can be touched up with a rattle can.

Luckily on the Wetlander, I saved some from each job (in my experience the colors didn't match, BTW, even with the same color code) and use that to touch up the chinks.

They say its good for airboat hulls in the marshes (in what by definition are non-rocky areas), but that's not my application. I'm a "tinny" boat fisherman..

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.