Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So I'm staying.

Best I can tell, I'll have at minimum - dual residence. Things like gardens, and aquariums become quite problematic.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mako25
So I'm staying.

Best I can tell, I'll have at minimum - dual residence. Things like gardens, and aquariums become quite problematic.

Dual residence? laugh Maybe triple residence?

I list my position as Alaska and Texas for the same reason you travel. I have the affliction as well.

I will make a trip to Germany before New Years, I will probably make a journey to NC to visit my Mom, and then there is work...

Take heart, my friend, there is always another sunrise, another breeze blowing from a different quarter, another rise to climb, another river to cross.
It is the journey, not the destination, that concerns us on this earth.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As we thought and looked for our "final" place we ended up with two as we could not find that one place. One in the mountains of north Idaho and one in the Texas Hill Country. Having worked and lived abroad, both with and without my family, since 2004 there is nothing, I mean nothing finer than landing in either of places we now call home. You will find yours I am sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got it and you exhibited a remarkable amount of insight into the human mind [for a lawyer grin.

Since he was waxing somewhat poetic this morning , I posted part of a song I wrote for my grandson a few years ago.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Seems we're outnumbered, but not alone.

I don't understand, or regret it - it's just the way I was made.

IC B2

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As we thought and looked for our "final" place we ended up with two as we could not find that one place. One in the mountains of north Idaho and one in the Texas Hill Country. Having worked and lived abroad, both with and without my family, since 2004 there is nothing, I mean nothing finer than landing in either of places we now call home. You will find yours I am sure.

Either of your options are in compelling areas. The Texas option -- to me -- lacks water, and the time I so love on it. The northern Idaho option has all the appeal you want for splendor, beauty, and big game options - then, it starts snowing, and doesn't stop!
Perfect examples, as either could be home, but both would keep me looking for "what's next?".

I do wish you well, and hope that home is everything you want out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinLearn this grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Either of your options are in compelling areas. The Texas option -- to me -- lacks water, and the time I so love on it. The northern Idaho option has all the appeal you want for splendor, beauty, and big game options - then, it starts snowing, and doesn't stop!
Perfect examples, as either could be home, but both would keep me looking for "what's next?".

I do wish you well, and hope that home is everything you want out of it.

Lack of water? Have you been to East Texas? I know we're in a drought right now, but there are so many big lakes within an hours drive from my place that you could stay busy all year long trying to explore them all. laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes Sir, I've in Dallas right now, and have been canvasing the area from here towards Houston. Landed a nice account with one plant in Granbury last week. Nice lake, but thirty-feet low, so low in fact the public boat launch is closed.

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If Cher could cook Itailian, I might be convinced to settle down.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Wanderlust, torment or satisfaction? I'm not sure of the answer, but am versed on the symptoms.

As am I. I understand I was that way from and early age.My mother said that as soon as I could walk a trail in the woods held more appeal for my that the playground behind my house. I know that as recent as yesterday around noon it still did.My wife and I made a two hour hike in the woods because of lure the trail firmly embedded in my being. I can hear it calling "Come, come follow me".

I was born in upstate NY it the hospital at a place called Little Falls. At two I was moved to Dayton, Ohio. ten years to the day later I moved to Ballwin, MO. From there I finished school and joined the navy.

Seven years of moving around and seeing strange places and once again in Missouri. Then I made the big break. I bought a hundred dollar car, filled it with what I thought I needed and left nine years of hell on earth with the wrong woman. I pointed my nose west and did not stop driving until I hit the Oregon coast. Thirty five years later I find myself planted on the Olympic Peninsula and for the most part content.

I have spent enough time in all fifty states to make an accurate judgment. There are good in all fifty but some places you have to look hard to find it. For me the Pacific NW is the finest place to live followed by Alaska.

But even while old, bent, and busted I can hear the trail still call, "Come, come follow me".

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is no better when it is full , as far as fishing.Forget it.

You've looked at P.K. I'm sure.

What is wrong with it?

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I can hear the trail still call, "Come, come follow me".

And how!

It just incessant - nothing satisfies it, and I mean nothing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've spent 30 years chasing the buck around the country. Lived in Ohio, California, Oklahoma back to Ohio then back to Kentucky.
All of my work has been project type, anything from a few days to a few weeks. I have had the wanderlust as long as I can remember.

Now I have the majority of my work in Texas and homes in Ky. and Tx.

I absolutely abhor Texas, really I do. I feel like a wetback most of the time. IE, I make most of my money here but, only spend what it takes to survive, for the most part.

I spend most of my time trying to get out of here and into the mountains, somewhere, anywhere.

I could probably cash it all in in the next couple of years. I just need to decide where the second home will be. I'm pretty much set on Idaho, Montana or Colorado, in that order. I want, no need, seasons.

This hot humid crap ain't for me.

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You've looked at P.K. I'm sure.

What is wrong with it?

A perfect example.

No Sir, don't know what P.K refers too, but now that you've planted the seed, I'll estimate that inside of a month, I'll lay eyes on it.

And, so it goes!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mako;
I trust this finds you and yours acceptably well this fine and finally cooler Sunday morn. I really should have run up the mountain to look for a small mulie buck before church - our any buck season just started yesterday - but instead here I sit, listening to the family stir and slothfully enjoying my 2nd cup of coffee.... blush

I can honestly tell you that empathy has always been a struggle for me. In the main I have no clue how others feel and admittedly have a tough time putting myself in someone else's place.

With that bit of explanation, hopefully you understand when I say that I've no idea how you or my other cyber friend Ed feel. wink grin

If there were an exact opposite or antithesis of how you feel Mako, I would be the poster boy. My good wife used to kid me and say that she never worried about me running away because I'm such a home body. She said if a saddle and one of the horses were out then I'd be home by dark - otherwise she'd find me in the shop. blush

The bad part of my ailment is that I don't even travel well and don't tend to take even very calculated risks. My family did get me on a plane to Hawaii this past spring, which they still talk about as a minor miracle! laugh

Anyway my cyber friend, though I really can't say I know even a wee bit how you feel, it's my sincere hope and prayer that you do find at least a couple places where you feel "at home".

All the best to you and yours Mako and good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Dwayne

PS;
You do know that both you and my cyber friend Ed have standing invitations to drop by if you are ever close right? We're just north of the medicine line from north central Washington.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've spent 30 years chasing the buck around the country. Lived in Ohio, California, Oklahoma back to Ohio then back to Kentucky.
All of my work has been project type, anything from a few days to a few weeks. I have had the wanderlust as long as I can remember.

Now I have the majority of my work in Texas and homes in Ky. and Tx.

I absolutely abhor Texas, really I do. I feel like a wetback most of the time. IE, I make most of my money here but, only spend what it takes to survive, for the most part.

I spend most of my time trying to get out of here and into the mountains, somewhere, anywhere.

I could probably cash it all in in the next couple of years. I just need to decide where the second home will be. I'm pretty much set on Idaho, Montana or Colorado, in that order. I want, no need, seasons.

This hot humid crap ain't for me.

There, right there - is exactly what I'm talking 'bout. Even having seen, having experienced "it all", nothing just says - "here it is".
Just a cold, hard, reality that apparently -- thanfully! -- I'm not alone in having.

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You do know that both you and my cyber friend Ed have standing invitations to drop by if you are ever close right? We're just north of the medicine line from north central Washington.

Dwayne,

As always good to hear from you.

Odd how two folks -- polar opposite in their make-ups -- can both have the sentiment of friendship. The difference being, you'd invite me into your wonderful home, and I'd invite you on an adventure of some sort (fishin', huntin', hikin' etc).

One day, I hope to experience both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Possum Kingdom Lake - the prettiest lake in all of Texas - straddles the Stephens / Palo Pinto County line.About an hour from Ft Worth to the water.

Holler and I'll meet you down there some time.I got nothing to sell.

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got nothing to sell.

That tickles me!

You're on. Feedin' my Gypsy ways, and I'm lookin' forward to it as well. There's another reality to being a wanderlust - you really don't have to look very hard to find folks are (for the most part), very welcoming. In fact, -- in direct contrast to my beliefs as a young man -- most are looking for the good - it's much more pleasureable than the alternative.

P.K.. chalk 'nother adventure up!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,968
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.