-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No jealousy; I've had some wonderful hunts and I will have many more and I wish and hope that you and all of our fellow 24HourCampfire members have many wonderful hunts in their futures too.

I can appreciate mistakes and unco-operative weather...why not just have a Supercub fly in? Up in Alaska, you'd not be able to take the rack home with you and you'd be potentially liable for wanton waste of game meat.

I only partially blame you. Your outfitter is also responsible- Is it still called hunting when he violates and outfitter ethics and possibly game laws and lets one of the biggest fruits of the hunt, all the elk meat, waste?! Surely an elk is worth more than just his rack.

This situation contributes to antis saying "Oh, that's just what hunters do. They just kill animals for their heads!"

GB1

J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
why not just have a Supercub fly in?

Cost, timing, lack of resources, schedule that doesn't permit, unpredictable weather forecast.....

This will probably be the only 6x6 I ever shoot as I am a meat hunter, believe me I am the most dissapointed. However, there are numerous factors contributing to why it didn't happen and hindsight is always 20/20. Internet peanut gallery is even better.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Interesting. I am sure there are some details the "peanut gallery" doesn't know. However, if you are going to post to the world that all your elk meat spoiled on a guided hunt and explain it based on three days of weather that hit the 80's I think you have to expect a few raised eyebrows.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jryoung
Cost, timing, lack of resources, schedule that doesn't permit, unpredictable weather forecast.....

Excuses. So you blame everything but yourself and your outfitter...It was your and your outfitter's responsibility. Period. That's part of your responsibilities as hunters and sportsmen.

IMHO, I'm sure that the Conservation Officers in Alaska would hand your butt back to you if that's all you could come up with.

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So you blame everything but yourself and your outfitter

WTF? Where did I say that, not to mention I think I mentioned several reasons above that would have been attributable to my outfitter.

We (me and my guide since you suck at reading inbetween the lines) checked on the meat each day (visual and physical inspection and swatting of any flies that had popped up). Despite high temperatures, it all appeared to be fine (to the touch, sight and smell), and despite being gone for most of each day (hunting) we thought it was okay. We even ate the meat during that time as well.

However, upon bagging the meat for flight, we noticed much of it had turned rancid overnight. All small pieces that had been boned out had no salvagable meat, and the larger roasts were largely lost as well.

Due to the timing of our delay between flights, the meat also sat bagged as we did not know when the pilot would return, and also had to be ready to go on the fly. This contributed to the final portion of meat loss.

Are you going to blame me for the bear eating a portion of it too now?

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

IC B2

J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by brooksrange
Surely an elk is worth more than just his rack.

The rack is nearly worthless to me and I may not be shipping it to the States. But again, you've just projected your misconceptions surrounding the facts.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jryoung
So you blame everything but yourself and your outfitter

WTF? Where did I say that, not to mention I think I mentioned several reasons above that would have been attributable to my outfitter.

We (me and my guide since you suck at reading inbetween the lines) checked on the meat each day (visual and physical inspection and swatting of any flies that had popped up). Despite high temperatures, it all appeared to be fine (to the touch, sight and smell), and despite being gone for most of each day (hunting) we thought it was okay. We even ate the meat during that time as well.

However, upon bagging the meat for flight, we noticed much of it had turned rancid overnight. All small pieces that had been boned out had no salvagable meat, and the larger roasts were largely lost as well.

Due to the timing of our delay between flights, the meat also sat bagged as we did not know when the pilot would return, and also had to be ready to go on the fly. This contributed to the final portion of meat loss.

Are you going to blame me for the bear eating a portion of it too now?

Because you elected to continue hunting, through the hot days which followed your early success, most of the animal was wasted--a magnificent animal few hunters will ever have the honor and privilege of taking. Cavalierly deflecting personal responsibility by blaming cost, scheduling, outfitter, bears, ... may be met w/ criticism and disdain.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will always have your memories.

I guess lessons learned by all of you on this but you show an utter lack of respect for the animal, especially if you continued hunting afterwards in mild weather when you should have been taking care of the meat.

I personally bring game bags and my own mixture of black pepper and citric acid to rub, if required, on the meat. I quarter and debone the meat right away and air-dry, sometimes bringing it up to higher elevation where there's more wind and sometimes year-round snow. I've also cooled meat in a nearby glacial stream or spring before padding down and air-drying. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've not lost any meat to a few days of mild weather.

Thank you for sharing your adventure and mistakes.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks like a awesome hunt with your dad. Enjoyed the story and pictures/video. Congrats on a successful hunt.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"The rack is nearly worthless to me and I may not be shipping it to the States."

Please keep the rack! Even as I type this, I'm looking at a 6x6 rack that always brings back memories of an outstanding hunt in the Wyoming high country, with a good friend. That elk rack of yours will likely become more important over the future years, as you think back of a great hunt with your father.

Regards, Guy

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Seems to me super cubs are just as weather dependant as anything else...........maybe more so. Meat could have been killed on a warm day then fog kept animal in the bush cause plane was grounded.
Congrats to you and your dad on a great trip. I hunt the same country and recignize the country in most of your pics. It is the best.Pretty hard for the customer on a guided hunt to control the weather.............maybe BC should stop opening elk season in mid Aug....

Originally Posted by brooksrange
No jealousy; I've had some wonderful hunts and I will have many more and I wish and hope that you and all of our fellow 24HourCampfire members have many wonderful hunts in their futures too.

I can appreciate mistakes and unco-operative weather...why not just have a Supercub fly in? Up in Alaska, you'd not be able to take the rack home with you and you'd be potentially liable for wanton waste of game meat.

I only partially blame you. Your outfitter is also responsible- Is it still called hunting when he violates and outfitter ethics and possibly game laws and lets one of the biggest fruits of the hunt, all the elk meat, waste?! Surely an elk is worth more than just his rack.

This situation contributes to antis saying "Oh, that's just what hunters do. They just kill animals for their heads!"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Great pics! Wonderful story about the best place in the world to live and hunt!

Thanks!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 43 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.