Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UncleJake
The "ground wire" (actually a bonding wire) is for clearing a fault downstream of your meter (one you generate). The ground rods/ UFER/ water bond are all for clearing faults that generate upstream of your meter.

If you are worried (and I mean really worried) about a big fault like a lightning strike or a malfunctioning transformer, get a TVSS (transient Voltage Surge Suppressor).

My last house had the normal driven rod at the meter outside. Lightning struck right at the meter thru the roof/sophit and into the meter and down the rod (as evidenced when it blew off the clamp) and still managed to go out the other side of the house and blew out the concrete where the copper pipe water line for the washer came out of the slab and blew a pretty good hole in the copper pipe as well.

All kinds of fun stuff, but it still was better than the strike I had about 20 years ago that got the electrical, the phone, and the cable all the way down the road.

I second (or third) the idea of getting a bigger panel than you think you will end up using. Much better to get it done now while your building and burying than 5-10 years down the road. I'm glad I did in one instance because I was able to add a 30amp outlet outside the building where the subpanel was for a trailer plug where I kept my trailer parked.

Last edited by NathanL; 10/08/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by croldfort

GFI's depend on grounds also.

That is not correct, GFI's (yeah, I'm of that generation, too. I learned that instead of GFCI) measure current differential on the two current carrying conductors - hot and neutral - to detect current that has found another return path (someone) to ground.
I'd hate to see someone in an older two wire wired structure forego GFI protection because they thought they were SOL w/o a ground.

Another common misconception is that they keep you from getting shocked. Not true, they only limit the duration. See the NFPA shock hazard video at the 17:43 mark, if my memory serves.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (673, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,489
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.