-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh you got the baby-dozer model, with the rubber tracks! Still have one of those at the plant in Eagan, Mn. MTD if I'm not mistaken, and it gets abused.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by burner
Wet snow sucks. She will need something as a stick to clear out the chute, as even the most powerful models I've had (9-10 HP) had trouble depending how wet the snow was.

Make sure to tell her never to stick her hand down the chute to clear it. The impeller that throws the snow up and out the chute is down there. Very good way to lose a finger or two.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many good recommendations and tips here. I would like to pass this tip on to her...don't blow snow into the wind if at all possible invest in Carhartt coveralls, insulated boots, and a bomber or trooper hat. She needs to stay warm while snow blowing her drive and all the neighbors. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, a short skirt, low-cut blouse, and heels worn to the local eatin' establishments would yield enough suitors, she'd never have to buy a pair of mittens. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mako25
why the heck do you need a snow blower in TX?)

Born, raised, and lived 40+ years in Wi. Still have property there, and the company I'm with has facilities all over the upper-midwest. Seen a flake or two. >grin<

That explains it. I went to high school in Denison, north of Dallas. Once or twice a winter a blue norther would leave enough snow for a snowball fight before noon. Ain't like here!

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Well, a short skirt, low-cut blouse, and heels worn to the local eatin' establishments would yield enough suitors, she'd never have to buy a pair of mittens. grin

I done told her, "Little boys are the DEVIL!" She pays heed to that notion quite well.

If only her 5 brothers were nearly as independent as she is...

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
She needs to stay warm while snow blowing her drive and all the neighbors. grin
Um, she may want you to rephrase that.. laugh

The others above are right though - wider is better. More horsepower is better.. Plastic chutes are da bomb.. Two stage, for sure.. Elec. start - you betcha.. Some even come with a small, half-cab-like structure to keep blown snow off the user.. Looks funny - but they work..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1. track drive 2.Hydrostatic trans 3.electric start 4.drift cutter.........yamaha yup, u will pay more for it up front but u will not have to work on it........go ahead and turn the snow blowers your looking at,over .....remove the plate on the bottem and look at the drive system, u will see it for yourself. SOLD.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worked outside in 1980. That was one of the hottest years on record for KS. IIRC the next winter was one of the worst on record here. Tons of snow, below zero temps, and wind. Thirty some days in a row that the temps never reached 32*. Not unusual for north country, but it is for here. I am interested to see if this is a repeat year.

I have a very nice young next door neighbor. He shovels my snow and I buy 12 packs for him. Lots cheaper than a snowblower in my area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"chit a brick" >laughin'<

I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't replaced those butter-soft shear pins, with grade 5, 1/4" bolts. Did bend an auger once - but hey, once? pffft
I found some 10/3 wire i left along side the drive way one time...all 100+ feet of it EVERYWHERE!!!!! in-around-thur- the auger !!!! cry

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
timely topic, given that we *might* be getting a little dusting this week....

I have two of these, one for work, one for home:

[Linked Image]

sears link

180cc, 4-cycle, 2-stage , 6-speed (forward) + 2-speed reverse w/ electric start (I've never needed it).

will chew through 12" of that frozen street stuff the city throws onto the apron.

I use this for the bigger stuff:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She needs an Ariens, 8 to 10 hp. These are two stage and self-propelled. Get shear pins at the same time, and make sure she knows how to change them. The thing I hate about snowblower design is that the higher HP models are wider instead of taller. I can go back and forth more times, but too short is too short. You end up breaking the snow down with a shovel to blow it. Average yearly snowfall here is 170", and the record in '96-'97 was 320". Not as much as some places, but more than most.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
oh, I forgot to mention -- the Sears deal will chew up and throw out:

soccer balls
footballs
plastic shovels
elk tibias
various hats and mittens
and dog water bowls

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And do pick up several spare shear bolts and be sure they have the tools and knowledge to replace them. Things like garden hoses, flower pots etc will crawl out under the snow and make life exciting.

The wife sent our kid out one morning last season to do the driveway and a path through the yard to her bird feeders. My response was that it would be an expensive chore. He elected to do the less critical yard path first. True to form, he tried to digest a garden hose left stretched out across the yard. Jerked the auger clear out of the unit, and I had to haul it 130 miles one way to the shop for repairs.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/05/11.

1Minute
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For all of your snow removal needs....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29297284N00/139908330/in/pool-winteriswar/

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couple years ago I bought the 13hp 32" Ariens with the half cab, thought the cab looked stupid, but works great! Switched out shear pins for regular bolts, so far no problems.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Youper
She needs an Ariens, 8 to 10 hp. These are two stage and self-propelled. Get shear pins at the same time, and make sure she knows how to change them. The thing I hate about snowblower design is that the higher HP models are wider instead of taller. I can go back and forth more times, but too short is too short. You end up breaking the snow down with a shovel to blow it. Average yearly snowfall here is 170", and the record in '96-'97 was 320". Not as much as some places, but more than most.

You need to mount a drift bar on it.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
oh, I forgot to mention -- the Sears deal will chew up and throw out:

soccer balls
footballs
plastic shovels
elk tibias
various hats and mittens
and dog water bowls

Don't forget the dog run cable and the X-mas lights.

Steve

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
haven't done that yet, personally, but winter's just starting.... wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a note for you guys replacing the shear pins with hardened bolts, you can bend or break a rod or crankshaft doing that.

To the OP, get the biggest blower she can handle, but make sure she can horse it around. A 12 hp Ariens is going to be a handful to turn with a locked differential.

Steve

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,359
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.