Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GA270 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I popped up the Campfire with the intention of posting about this topic, and lo and behold, one of my fellow Southerners had pretty much beat me to it. So as not to highjack his thread, here's mine:

I have a place on my hunting property in south Georgia where the deer come out late and close. For the last three years I've killed a good buck there, always at the last possible light and at about ten yards. This year I've semi-customized a Model 722 in .308 (barrel chopped to 21 inches and recrowned, duracoated, bedded into a synthetic Remington Model 700 ADL stock) that a hunting buddy gave me. I intend it to be my rifle for this particular hot spot. It'll put three shots into an inch at 100 yards, which should qualify it to hit a deer at ten yards. Here's my question: I want a scope that would work well in both low light AND at close range. Please, no offense, but I'd like a smaller scope than the 56mm versions being recommended on the other thread. I' m considering a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 X 32 with a heavy duplex reticle. The availability of the heavy duplex reticle is what I like about this scope. Last year when I got my buck at this spot I could barely see the crosshairs on the Nikon Monarch I was using on my .270. Does anyone have any experience with this Leupold scope/reticle combination? Do you have any other suggestions for a low light AND close range scope? And apologies in advance to my SC comrade for posting a topic so close to his.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I do think that the 1.5-6x is about the right power range. I have a rifle with a similar purpose and it wears a Burris signature 1.5-6x40.

I always thought that about 40mm was optimum at 6x for low light use.

While a heavy duplex is a good start, and illuminated reticle would be a nice alternative. It used to be Burris sold that 1.5-6 that I have with one and there were Bushnell elites with the firefly, but both companies seem to have discontinued those scopes. I guess all the low light hunters have are going for 50mm scopes these days.

But this is on ebay..I wonder what the reserve is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-Elite-4200-Firefly-1-5-6X36-Waterproof-Scope-/250876199454

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by noKnees
I do think that the 1.5-6x is about the right power range. I have a rifle with a similar purpose and it wears a Burris signature 1.5-6x40.

http://randywakeman.com/Burris_Euro_Diamond_1.htm

Easily my favorite.

--Randy

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have the Heavy Duplex in a FX II 2.5x20 Ultralight and its a great scope for 100 yards or less in low light. The Heavy Duplex is great for hunting but a little too heavy for paper IMHO...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any particular budget ?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Isn't the question about "late and close"?

When you are shooting at a black blob in dark woods late, you appreciate all the help you can get.

http://randywakeman.com/BlackBearHunt2010.htm

--Randy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When it is really dark the biggest problem is to know where to look with the scope. Even with a modest scope like my VX-II 3-9x40 I can see well enough to shoot a light levels and ranges that I can't see that a deer is even there without optics. That said, don't over lood the German #1 from Leupold for your application. It is a reticle that does not get lost.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
B
what about a red dot scope?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a leupold Vari-XIII 1.75-6x32 with a heavy duplex on a .375 H&H. It's not what I would consider a low light scope, it's not particularly bright and there are a lot better low light reticles out there than the leupold heavy duplex.

I know you said you don't want a big objective, but low light and small objectives don't go together. The reticle to have for low light is a german #4 or something similar. One of the swarovski PH 1.5-6x42 would be ideal for your situation but they're no longer imported. You could probably find one used.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know you said you don't want a big objective, but low light and small objectives don't go together.

OK, but remember the specified application: shooting up close. So not much magnification is required, and a little 20mm objective nearly provides a 7mm exit pupil at 3x.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only used a red dot one time. I bought a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington one January that came with a chearp($35) red dot. I tried to shoot the rifle on a very bright sunny day with alot of snow. Even at the brightest I couldn't see the red dot. Eventually the whole works went down the road.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mathman
I know you said you don't want a big objective, but low light and small objectives don't go together.

OK, but remember the specified application: shooting up close. So not much magnification is required, and a little 20mm objective nearly provides a 7mm exit pupil at 3x.

Yep, its a great little scope...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Leupold 1.5-5x20 with HD at perhaps 25yards. Lights where just about to turn off. I'm thinking it would work at 10 yards.

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see the deer. Maybe a bigger scope would show it. laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I could also make the Leupold straight 3x-20mm work. Or even irons at that distance.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GA270
I popped up the Campfire with the intention of posting about this topic, and lo and behold, one of my fellow Southerners had pretty much beat me to it. So as not to highjack his thread, here's mine:

I have a place on my hunting property in south Georgia where the deer come out late and close. For the last three years I've killed a good buck there, always at the last possible light and at about ten yards. This year I've semi-customized a Model 722 in .308 (barrel chopped to 21 inches and recrowned, duracoated, bedded into a synthetic Remington Model 700 ADL stock) that a hunting buddy gave me. I intend it to be my rifle for this particular hot spot. It'll put three shots into an inch at 100 yards, which should qualify it to hit a deer at ten yards. Here's my question: I want a scope that would work well in both low light AND at close range. Please, no offense, but I'd like a smaller scope than the 56mm versions being recommended on the other thread. I' m considering a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 X 32 with a heavy duplex reticle. The availability of the heavy duplex reticle is what I like about this scope. Last year when I got my buck at this spot I could barely see the crosshairs on the Nikon Monarch I was using on my .270. Does anyone have any experience with this Leupold scope/reticle combination? Do you have any other suggestions for a low light AND close range scope? And apologies in advance to my SC comrade for posting a topic so close to his.

If you can find one, I've found the Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38mm to be excellent at just what you describe wanting.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
GA270, this one will do everything you ask. Leupold VX III 1.5-5X, 30mm tube, with illuminated German #4 reticle. It is a light magnet, extremely clear, and with that tiny red dot right right in the center of the cross hairs, it is easy to make your shot in low light, and deep forest.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got an old 4X, single coated Leupold with a 28mm objective that works fine with a Post & Duplex reticle. In any twilight and on most nights. My newer 4X33, FXII w/ a German #1 works on moonless, clear nights at ranges up to at least 75 yds.
I dunno about you, but, at 10 yds., I'd have very little problem shooting him with irons. As long as I could use a large white bead front sight.
Still, you'd probably want to have a little leeway as to your maximum useful range.
This is to say your present choice, used and adjusted properly, would be alot more than enough.
One thing you might keep in mind is that at 10-25 yds., both the image and the reticle will probably be way out of focus. So focus both the reticle and the image for a shorter range, say 40-50 yds. You might notice quite a bit of parallax. Don't worry about it. E

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Youper
I've only used a red dot one time. I bought a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington one January that came with a chearp($35) red dot. I tried to shoot the rifle on a very bright sunny day with alot of snow. Even at the brightest I couldn't see the red dot. Eventually the whole works went down the road.

the answer is aimpoint for a red dot! I like a scope however, any of my Zeiss Conquest scopes set at low power will do this + they have a black reticle. The Burris looks good but don't like a 1 pound scope.

Last edited by jimmyp; 10/06/11.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
are the VXR scopes multi coated? The 2-7 is a good price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.