Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now for those that have access to wild hog/feral hog, try canning some hog meat. It is better than the deer in my opinion.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cried when we ate the last piece of our wild hog. It was so good!

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm going to can some piggy this year too, if I can secure a dead piggy or three.

Going to use the burner for the turkey fryer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
canned 35 pints of deer that i had left from last season. i usually cut at least one whole deer up in 1in cubes to either can later or make bologna. ended up only making one 10lb batch of bologna this year so to make room for fresh meat in the freezer it all got canned.not that year old meat is good for another 3yrs on the shelf.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by medicman
I have canned a lot of meat, poultry, fish and vegetables over the years and never used a pressure cooker. I know it is supposed to kill you but Four generations of us have survived with hot water bath canning so some kinda miracle must have happened.

Randy

Randy I am new to canning meat just started last fall with great results ,it's been excellent. The reason for the pressure canner recomendation is that when pressure canned the molds,yeasts, and enzymes are destroyed at below 212 degrees F. Bacteria however are not as easily destroyed, 10-15 lbs of pressure will take the temp inside the canner to 240-250 degrees killing the bacteria. Pressure canning is the only methods recommended by the USDA for low acid vegetables, meats, and poultry. Presto 16 qt model for 64.88 at Wallyworld but well worth it to me. Magnum man

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand the science and commend the safety afforded by the extra temp. I just have never had a problem, not at all saying they can't exist.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just butchered a nice mature mule deer doe. I cubed the entire thing and will commence to canning tomorrow.

Todd

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let us know how it turns out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been canning venison and lots of other stuff for years. Reading this made me hungry for canned venison. I went to the pantry and ... all we had was jelly. Bummer. Ill definately can some of the next deer. I have had great luck canning ducks and geese also. Try it. Pore a can of duck over a bed of rice or one of those boxed packages of Gumbo or Jumbalya and your in for a treat. No ducks... Try chicken. Can't beat canning.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Forgot to mention. Canned meat is great to take to deer camp or any other type of camping. Any time your camping or on a road trip where its not practacle to take frozen meat, canned is the way to go.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have been canning venison and lots of other stuff for years. Reading this made me hungry for canned venison. I went to the pantry and ... all we had was jelly. Bummer. Ill definately can some of the next deer. I have had great luck canning ducks and geese also. Try it. Pore a can of duck over a bed of rice or one of those boxed packages of Gumbo or Jumbalya and your in for a treat. No ducks... Try chicken. Can't beat canning.

Good for rabbit and spruce hen also! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Forgot to mention. Canned meat is great to take to deer camp or any other type of camping. Any time your camping or on a road trip where its not practacle to take frozen meat, canned is the way to go.

Absolutely! We take it and add bbq sauce for sloppy joes, sour cream for stroganoff and a bunch of other things. The only bummer is hauling out the jars.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Didn't hear anybody else mention it but when packing the raw venison in 3 lifts i would rod it a bit with a spoon to work out the voids between pieces and add chopped onion and fresh chopped garlic to the pack. really awesome eats. magnum Man

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Let us know how it turns out.

It turned out pretty darn good if I do say so myself!

Hard to believe this is a whole mature mulie doe!

[Linked Image]

My jiggler was a jiggling!

[Linked Image]

Some of the fruits of my labor...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did 6 quarts of whitetail buck yesterday. Now just have to figure out how I want to use it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nicely done..!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Never had canned venison before, but I can only imagine if it is half as good as the canned bear I had before I could see myself doing it for sure. A buddy at work brought the bear in to share, it was canned with jalepenos and onions, I couldn't believe it was bear it was awesome.

�When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.�

Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thought I'd bump this and see if anyone has been canning recently.
This thread inspired me to buy a little canner and today I walked through the first attempt with it using the season's pheasant and chukar meat.

Mixed the results from one jar with sour cream and noodles and the plates were licked clean, with no leftovers.

Thanks all!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Canned some new stuff back at New Years. Went with venison meatballs in tomato sauce, venison meatballs in cream of mushroom soup mix, and your basic chunked venison with no sauce. Turned out very good. Will keep tweaking the meatball recipe itself but test jars were deemed winners by the family.

Canned 8 quarts of pork loins also. Good stuff.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice Stove - BigSky

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (7mm_Loco, BlackHunter, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 7 invisible), 1,515 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,442
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.