Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
I like to practice with my guns and not flinch so both my 300 Weatherby Vanguard and now my CZ 416 Rigby have muzzle control modifications.

If someone you hunt with does not like them, hunt with someone more intelligent.

What does intelligence level have to do with permanent hearing loss? It would stand to reason that the person NOT wanting to be around your brake would be the MORE intelligent one.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Muzzle brakes are a curse on the range and worse in a field where others are near. They all can be scraped as far as I care! IMHO Clint

just for Fun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have my own range and dont hunt in groups - if you need guides that is just sad. No offense intended Phil.

Last edited by siskiyous6; 10/21/11.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sad to never shoot on a range and hunt with friends!!!! my friends hearing are more important to me that any rifle not recoiling is. Clint

just for Fun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt with friends, but we dont stand close enough, or is that sit in the truck close enough, for a muzzle brake to make us hurt.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I tend to agree with Pieter here in that when I'm on a stalk and pull the trigger or am helping a partner get on something I don't feel recoil or hear the rifle as loud - except one time this fellah's muzzlebraked 300 Weatherby. My ears rang for the rest of the day.

He still comes out with us but only if he leaves the muzzlebraked rifle at home.

I may be oversimplifying this but if I can't shoot it without a muzzlebrake then I'll just go smaller till I can.

So far my 338wm and my 416 Rigby don't bother me in the least and I don't make those around me deaf. On the bench, in addition to the pachmeir decelerator pads I use an additional slip on recoil pad.

I recognize one can wear those ear muffs that allow you to hear but will cut out loud noise - probably great at the range. I just can't picture myself wearing those on an 8 mile walk.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
At 55yrs old have never shot from a truck! must be a CA thing. If you hunt with me don't bring a gun with a muzzle break as you will be ask to leave it in the Car or truck! My hunt My rules! Hunting for me and my friends is a time to get to gather and see one and another. We meet at a time and place to eat lunch and catch up! Many deer have been shot from the lunch spot! Must be there hunger too! Clint

just for Fun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What does intelligence level have to do with permanent hearing loss? It would stand to reason that the person NOT wanting to be around your brake would be the MORE intelligent one.

I don't understand the position of folks who don't use electronic hearing protection. They block sharp sounds and enhance other sounds. It is more intelegent to protect your hearing whether a firearm has a brake or not. All un supressed firearms are loud. All the hunters I know use them. To me it is like saying I am more macho than you. I don't use binoculars or even eye glasses 'cause that's what sissys use.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Christ, between Ringman and the douche from CA that I've had on ignore forever, there is a pile of 'knowledge' here.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some of us don't wear electronic ear protection when hunting, have laser range finders, hell I'm thinking of taking my scope off and going back to irons. I like to still hunt and jump shoot my elk in the black timber

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B3

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
IT'S NOT ABOUT MUZZLE BRAKES...IT'S ABOUT CHOICE.

EVERYONE has a CHOICE to hunt or not, shoot or not, stand near or not...get their heads out of their backsides or NOT...when a braked weapon is close by...DOESN'T MATTER WHERE IT IS...on the range or in the field.

DON'T blame the muzzle braked weapon if you're too damned stupid to get out of the way, wear ear protection...maybe you're even to dumb to stop whizzing into the wind.

These infantile, ignorant responses are so totally mindless I can't hardly believe an adult is making them.

I make sure anyone I hunt with KNOWS my shooter is braked...I point it out BEFORE ANY plans are made....and I make sure the other wouldbe hunters have enough brainpower to have ear protection AND USE IT...WHILE we hunt...if they are too ignorant not to use hearing protection...then I DON'T WANT TO BE ANYWHERE AROUND THAT PERSON...WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY WILL DO.

The first hint of an excuse for not wearing ear AND eye protection from ANY hunter in the group and either they don't go or I DON'T GO...SIMPLE CHOICE FOR ALL PARTIES.

The first mention of "I GOT A SOUND SHOT"....or any inclination to do so and we part company no matter WHERE we happen to be, ALSO.

IT'S ALL ABOUT CHOICE...ANY kind of excuses don't get it done...and the final CHOICE IS YOURS TO MAKE...IF YOU CAN'T...QUIT WHINING...go somewhere else, I don't need or want you around

[bleep] a bunch of whining, sniveling, ignorant, mindless, fatherless, new age maggots that blame everything and everyone except themselves and won't carry their own water.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Whining? Don't those muzzle brakes come with pleated pink skirts?

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of us don't wear electronic ear protection when hunting, have laser range finders, hell I'm thinking of taking my scope off and going back to irons. I like to still hunt and jump shoot my elk in the black timber

You may not be aware of this priceless little tidbit, but if you switch to iron sites your rifle will still be loud with or without a brake. Just sayin'.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by NFG
IT'S NOT ABOUT MUZZLE BRAKES...IT'S ABOUT CHOICE.

EVERYONE has a CHOICE to hunt or not, shoot or not, stand near or not...get their heads out of their backsides or NOT...when a braked weapon is close by...DOESN'T MATTER WHERE IT IS...on the range or in the field.

DON'T blame the muzzle braked weapon if you're too damned stupid to get out of the way, wear ear protection...maybe you're even to dumb to stop whizzing into the wind.

These infantile, ignorant responses are so totally mindless I can't hardly believe an adult is making them.

I make sure anyone I hunt with KNOWS my shooter is braked...I point it out BEFORE ANY plans are made....and I make sure the other wouldbe hunters have enough brainpower to have ear protection AND USE IT...WHILE we hunt...if they are too ignorant not to use hearing protection...then I DON'T WANT TO BE ANYWHERE AROUND THAT PERSON...WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY WILL DO.

The first hint of an excuse for not wearing ear AND eye protection from ANY hunter in the group and either they don't go or I DON'T GO...SIMPLE CHOICE FOR ALL PARTIES.

The first mention of "I GOT A SOUND SHOT"....or any inclination to do so and we part company no matter WHERE we happen to be, ALSO.

IT'S ALL ABOUT CHOICE...ANY kind of excuses don't get it done...and the final CHOICE IS YOURS TO MAKE...IF YOU CAN'T...QUIT WHINING...go somewhere else, I don't need or want you around

[bleep] a bunch of whining, sniveling, ignorant, mindless, fatherless, new age maggots that blame everything and everyone except themselves and won't carry their own water.

every one also has the choice to [bleep] themselves (or not) in while the truck with all their pards on the way to hunt. maybe warning the others would make it their fault when it stinks?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Taking this WAY too seriously ... Liberty is about choice and consideration ...

Good hunting and shooting all ...

smile

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
I got to shoot a CZ chambered in 416 Rigby the other day at the range. The owner was there getting it sighted in for deer season.... eek.....but that' another story.

He asked if I wanted to shoot it and I thought sure,..when am I ever going to get another chance.

He had the rifle scoped and was shooting factory Hornady ammo with the 400gr. solid, and he had a muzzlebrake installed.

I was shooting at a 4"x4" target at 50 yards standing offhand. Years ago, I used to shoot competition muzzleloading, so I was trying real hard to keep my form. I used the set trigger, settled the crosshairs best I could and squeezed.

The rifle recoiled and I hit inside the black at 11:00. I was surprised I hit the target since it was my first shot shooting something so intimidating.

The thing that I was so impressed with was how well the muzzlebrake tamed the recoil. IMO, it didn't kick any harder than one of the 300 WhizBang calibers. I think I could shoot his rifle for a long while before calling it quits.

So that got me wondering,..what is the general feeling for muzzlebrakes on "Big Bore" rilfes and rifles that will be used in Africa?

I know they increase the muzzle blast but would that be a decent trade off for an increase in accuracy? Are they generally frowned upon.

It seems like I NEVER see muzzlebrakes on rifles during a filmed African hunt, so I guess there must be a reason.

Thought some of you fellas might have an answer.
You want to piss off a bunch of people in a hurry just shoot that unit without everyone wearing ear muffs. Their ears will ring for 3 hours and you may suffer permanent damage.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You want to piss off a bunch of people in a hurry just shoot that unit without everyone wearing ear muffs. Their ears will ring for 3 hours and you may suffer permanent damage.

You never heard of putting your fingers in your ears with someone fires near you. Before I purchased my electronic ear muffs I would cover my ears if someone was going to fire a rifle. Guns with and without brakes are loud and can damage hearing.

Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
You can kill anything--anything--with one shot DRT with a 300 grain bullet at 2500 fps from a .375 H&H. So why fool with muzzle brakes? Use a rifle you can shoot instead. If you can shoot a .458, that's fine. If not, don't sweat it. Anyone who can shoot a 30-06 can shoot a .375 with a little practice.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman

You never heard of putting your fingers in your ears with someone fires near you. Before I purchased my electronic ear muffs I would cover my ears if someone was going to fire a rifle. Guns with and without brakes are loud and can damage hearing.

Hard to but your fingers in your ears when you have a drink in your hands (LOL)or a rifle or binos.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hard to but your fingers in your ears when you have a drink in your hands (LOL)or a rifle or binos.

I am guilty of the binos. I stand corrected.blush Enjoy your season.

Everyday Hunter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,904
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.