-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 28 1 2 3 4 27 28
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Under this plan, what happens to the Social Security payments that people have paid in for decades.....and is owed to them?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
IRA distributions are taxed as ordinary income.

Roth IRAs are a different creature all together.

I love how folks want to fix the problems this nation has, until it means that everyone has to pay an equal amount to do it. Then, no one wants to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One advantage to 999 for those of us on Social Security with income from other sources,such as a working wife,is that ALL our income would be taxed at the same rate up front.

In most years,999 would give us a small reduction in our total tax bill.In other years , it would be a wash.The variation in our case is that the wife's income is seasonal and variable.

No Boggy,she ain't pullin' bolls.grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That article is another typical BS hit piece. It makes some very broad assumptions by narrowing the focus group right out the gate. Family of four making just UNDER 50k for example. It then goes on to completely disregard the sales tax this fictional family might already be paying and states any sales tax is seen as an increase.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I like cain.

He's the only candidate I believe when I listen to him talk.

Could he push 999 through if he were president? Probably not.

But his intentions speak volumes.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
IRA distributions are taxed as ordinary income.

Roth IRAs are a different creature all together.

I love how folks want to fix the problems this nation has, until it means that everyone has to pay an equal amount to do it. Then, no one wants to.

Even if Roth IRA and Social Security income is exempt from Cain's 9% income tax, it will still get hit by Cain's 9% sales tax. A retire couple with 50,000 in social security and Roth IRA income would see at least a $4,500 increase in their federal taxes under Cain's plan.

Paying an equal percentage is one thing, but having to pay a new tax on money the income tax has already been paid on is just wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I like cain.

Another very good point, this has no chance of making it through Congress.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
So?

You're assuming that retirees should be exempt from having to shoulder part of the burden to fix this nation?

Why the class warfare?

I assume you'd just rather the younger generations shoulder all the burden now and later, right?

Newsflash: tax rates WILL increase. Now, the question is whether to do it equally, fairly, and evenly across the board, or whether to continue the class and generational warfare of the current system.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I like cain.

Okay then how about 5-5-5?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's pretty much it.
Maybe I'm the only one that heard Cain say plainly and clearly that for SOME folks taxes would go up and for SOME folks taxes would go down. I think we all agree our current tax disaster is anything but 'flat'. Anything you do that increasing parity and 'fairness' by definition will have some paying more and some paying less. I honestly don't care if it raises my family's tax burden. As long as we are ALL pulling the wagon, I'm IN! Those wanting a free or reduced fair ride, PULL YOUR OWN WEIGHT!

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
G-LSU;

Exactly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think the masses will reject it because everyone has to pay an equal amount to do it...when everyone hasn't benefitted equally from the system. The view is that nobody generates wealth in isolation from the system in which they do business. Examples, such as Wall Street tycoons who make many tens of millions of dollars per year having benefitted from the system that lots of poor kids have given their lives defending, mean something to the masses. They see the progressive income tax as a means where those who have benefitted the most from the system...a system they didn't create on their own, that others also worked hard to build, and in many instances even gave their lives to defend...pay more percentage wise to support that system.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by curdog4570
One advantage to 999 for those of us on Social Security with income from other sources,such as a working wife,is that ALL our income would be taxed at the same rate up front.

In most years,999 would give us a small reduction in our total tax bill.In other years , it would be a wash.The variation in our case is that the wife's income is seasonal and variable.

Under no circumstances would you pay less under Cain's 999 plan unless your wife's income puts you in one of the top two tax brackets under the current system. If so, you're not really middle class. Remember, you'll also be paying an new federal 9% sales tax on top of any state sales tax.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I heard Boehner on Greta last night. She asked him very directly if there was an 'appetite' to 'drastically change our current tax system with anything remotely resembling 999 or any other plan'. He about spun himself into orbit trying to say he favors "flattening and simplifying" the current tax code but wouldn't say what he really meant to say which was "Heck NO there's no appetitie for that Greta! If you do something like 999 and elminate all deductions and exemptions, how in the world are we suppose to buy votes! We've worked for a couple of generations to get our current tax system to be the ultimate vote buying scheme and it works great. Nobody even knows what their affective tax rate is and we can change their rate without them even knowing. Plus we can always threaten to raise taxes on the other/bad guy to buy even more votes. Stop trying to mess up a good thing!"
So yes, Congress will be resistent but if Cain gets elected, it will be in good measure because of this tax overhaul. I realize they have short memories but members of Congress would be wise not to ignore the voting public yet again.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Under no circumstances would you pay less under Cain's 999 plan unless your wife's income puts you in one of the top two tax brackets under the current system. If so, you're not really middle class. Remember, you'll also be paying an new federal 9% sales tax on top of any state sales tax.
So you know his personal household income situation better than he does or is he just bad at math?

NRA Lifer

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by antlers

I think the masses will reject it because everyone has to pay an equal amount to do it...when everyone hasn't benefitted equally from the system. The view is that nobody generates wealth in isolation from the system in which they do business. Examples, such as Wall Street tycoons who make many tens of millions of dollars per year having benefitted from the system that lots of poor kids have given their lives defending, mean something to the masses. They see the progressive income tax as a means where those who have benefitted the most from the system...a system they didn't create on their own, that others also worked hard to build, and in many instances even gave their lives to defend...pay more percentage wise to support that system.

Damned shame no one wants to actually believe in the Declaration of Independence, the Federalist Papers, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MacLorry

My plan here is to simply not buy anything. Leastwise nothing new.

I will gladly pay 9% on seeds and grow pretty much anything needed. Couple of used Rhode Island Reds, a cow and a horse I'm set. A used cow and horse that is! wink

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That, and they don't count in the fact that the 9% income tax REPLACES the SS/FICA crap that everyone has stolen from their checks currently. That would be a far greater number than 9%.

I was wondering if that was the case...thanks for the info!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So?

You're assuming that retirees should be exempt from having to shoulder part of the burden to fix this nation?

Why the class warfare?

I assume you'd just rather the younger generations shoulder all the burden now and later, right?

Newsflash: tax rates WILL increase. Now, the question is whether to do it equally, fairly, and evenly across the board, or whether to continue the class and generational warfare of the current system.

Even if shifting the tax burden from the upper income to the lower income folks is fair in your book, what about double taxing, do you think that's fair? People saving for their retirement pay the current income tax on the money they put in Roth IRAs, savings bonds, municipal bonds and other investments that the government has promised would be free from federal taxes in the future. Now Cain's 9% sales tax breaks that promises and you don't see anything wrong with that? If your mortgage company increased your principle by 9% after the fact you would be shouting robbery, but if the government does it you're ok with it. What are you, some kind of closet liberal?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I support it. I have heard some don't like the 9% sales tax, believing it will kill large purchases. Maybe, but then just maybe it would change the way people buy things like cars on a whim, because all they know is "what's my monthly payment?".

But that sales tax is the REAL leveling factor. NOBODY skates away from not paying it. You buy a pack of gum, you pay tax. You buy a house, you pay tax. It's everybody's tax, and everybody buys things.

If the Senate doesn't change majority as well as getting rid of Hussein, we're back to square one, almost.

Page 2 of 28 1 2 3 4 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.