Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Read the damned plan.

Seriously, how hard is that?

You do realize you are "talking" to yourself,don't you?

Not a good sign at your age.grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Paying an equal percentage is one thing, but having to pay a new tax on money the income tax has already been paid on is just wrong.
You mean like the capital gains tax or the completely immoral death tax we currently have that goes AWAY under 999?

Cain's plan treats capital gains as ordinary income, so you pay 9% income tax and then 9% sales tax, for a total rate of 18%. That's a 3% tax increase over the current capital gains tax rate of 15%. Didn't you know that?
For crying out loud, your calculations are INCORRECT. I'm still waiting an income number you'd like me to run so we can get on the same page.
From his website since apparently everybody is allergic to reading it.

Phase 1 - 9-9-9
Current circumstances call for bolder action.
The Phase 1 Enhanced Plan incorporates the features of Phase One and gets us a step closer to Phase two.
I call on the Super Committee to pass the Phase 1 Enhanced Plan along with their spending cut package.
The Phase 1 Enhanced Plan unites Flat Tax supporters with Fair tax supporters.
Achieves the broadest possible tax base along with the lowest possible rate of 9%.
It ends the Payroll Tax completely � a permanent holiday!
Zero capital gains tax
Ends the Death Tax.
Eliminates double taxation of dividends
Business Flat Tax � 9%
Gross income less all investments, all purchases from other businesses and all dividends paid to shareholders.
Empowerment Zones will offer additional deductions for payroll employed in the zone.
Individual Flat Tax � 9%.
Gross income less charitable deductions.
Empowerment Zones will offer additional deductions for those living and/or working in the zone.
National Sales Tax � 9%.
This gets the Fair Tax off the sidelines and into the game.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
You do realize that almost no one has less than an 18% tax rate correct?
And you do realize that the table rate and effective rate, after exemptions, deductions and credits are nearly always significantly less than the table rate, don't you?

If no one had an effective rate less than 18% we might not have this issue to contend with, but we likely would anyway as our criminal congress would just spend all the more. That is where the real tax problem lies.
Of course I understand that. I also understand a few other things. No one, reading this thread, right now can say what their affective tax rate was last year, will be theis year or next year. Heck most people think if they get a refund check at the end of the year they didn't pay taxes! So yes, I realize I'm not dealing with an informed public when it comes to taxes. Unfortunately, neither is Mr. Cain. That will be by far his biggest problem.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir,
You simply could not be more incorrect. Pick an income level that you are so concerned about and let me run the numbers for you. You do realize that almost no one has less than an 18% tax rate correct? You do realize the payroll taxes ALONE are 15.3% correct? I presume you also realize nobody spends all their income on TAXABLE goods or services. Your mortgage payment, is not a taxable good or service.
So give me an income level you are concerned about and tell me if this hypothetical filer is filing single or married/jointly.

Ok, figure it out for a retired couple with 50,000 of income from Social Secerity and a Roth IRA. Remember, retired folks don't pay payroll taxes at all unless they have income from still working (not really retired). Currently they pay 0% federal taxes. Tell me how much they would pay under Cain's plan. There's over 50 million retire folks so it's a big voting block that needs to know what Cain's plan does to them.

Also you are assuming mortgage payments and utility bills will be exempt from Cain's 9% sales tax. If so, Cain's flat sales tax is not so flat after all. I know Cain's sales tax applies to food, unlike some state sales taxes, so it may also apply to mortgage payments and utility bills. The devil is in the details.

Also, only the self-employed pay 15.3% payroll tax. Ordinary employees pay 7.65% (actually 5.65% this year). You can't assume employers will use their 7.65% savings to increase wages being they'll lose lots of other tax deductions under Cain�s plan.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I like the way it makes hookers, drug dealers and gangstas pay fed (sales) tax that they never paid before. Revenue from the underground economy gets taxed which it hasn't in the past. I suspect this represents serious revenue potential.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Read the damned plan.

Seriously, how hard is that?

You do realize you are "talking" to yourself,don't you?

Not a good sign at your age.grin

Gotta talk to someone with some intelligence sometimes, at least... wink

Cain's plan disempowers Congress, disempowers politicians, and essentially disembowels the Internal Extortion Service.

It's flat, easy, fair, and effective.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Sir,
You simply could not be more incorrect. Pick an income level that you are so concerned about and let me run the numbers for you. You do realize that almost no one has less than an 18% tax rate correct? You do realize the payroll taxes ALONE are 15.3% correct? I presume you also realize nobody spends all their income on TAXABLE goods or services. Your mortgage payment, is not a taxable good or service.
So give me an income level you are concerned about and tell me if this hypothetical filer is filing single or married/jointly.

Ok, figure it out for a retired couple with 50,000 of income from Social Secerity and a Roth IRA. Remember, retired folks don't pay payroll taxes at all unless they have income from still working (not really retired). Currently they pay 0% federal taxes. Tell me how much they would pay under Cain's plan. There's over 50 million retire folks so it's a big voting block that needs to know what Cain's plan does to them.

Also you are assuming mortgage payments and utility bills will be exempt from Cain's 9% sales tax. If so, Cain's flat sales tax is not so flat after all. I know Cain's sales tax applies to food, unlike some state sales taxes, so it may also apply to mortgage payments and utility bills. The devil is in the details.

Also, only the self-employed pay 15.3% payroll tax. Ordinary employees pay 7.65% (actually 5.65% this year). You can't assume employers will use their 7.65% savings to increase wages being they'll lose lots of other tax deductions under Cain�s plan.

Why is it that you think some Americans need to be exempt from fixing this nation's problems, and having equal skin in the game when it comes to funding programs and budgets?

Exactly why is it that continuing class and generational warfare amongst Americans seems like the best idea to you?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and those reasons alone Sean, will keep the 999, flat tax, fair tax or any other change from ever happening.

Congress and .gov will never give up the power to write the tax laws. Way too much control there.

Same as why you will never see term limits on congress...........

Sam......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Actually those of us who have gray hair had a fair hand in causing the problem. Not so much the young ones who are getting the bill.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paying an equal percentage is one thing, but having to pay a new tax on money the income tax has already been paid on is just wrong.
You mean like the capital gains tax or the completely immoral death tax we currently have that goes AWAY under 999?

Cain's plan treats capital gains as ordinary income, so you pay 9% income tax and then 9% sales tax, for a total rate of 18%. That's a 3% tax increase over the current capital gains tax rate of 15%. Didn't you know that?
For crying out loud, your calculations are INCORRECT. I'm still waiting an income number you'd like me to run so we can get on the same page.
From his website since apparently everybody is allergic to reading it.

Phase 1 - 9-9-9
Current circumstances call for bolder action.
The Phase 1 Enhanced Plan incorporates the features of Phase One and gets us a step closer to Phase two.
I call on the Super Committee to pass the Phase 1 Enhanced Plan along with their spending cut package.
The Phase 1 Enhanced Plan unites Flat Tax supporters with Fair tax supporters.
Achieves the broadest possible tax base along with the lowest possible rate of 9%.
It ends the Payroll Tax completely � a permanent holiday!
Zero capital gains tax
Ends the Death Tax.
Eliminates double taxation of dividends
Business Flat Tax � 9%
Gross income less all investments, all purchases from other businesses and all dividends paid to shareholders.
Empowerment Zones will offer additional deductions for payroll employed in the zone.
Individual Flat Tax � 9%.
Gross income less charitable deductions.
Empowerment Zones will offer additional deductions for those living and/or working in the zone.
National Sales Tax � 9%.
This gets the Fair Tax off the sidelines and into the game.

OK, no income tax on capital gains, so it's not realy a flat income tax, which undermines everyone pays the same tax rate fairness deal many on this thread like so much.

Looks like under Cain's plan Warren Buffett will still be paying at a lower rate than his secretary, and maybe no income tax at all. Just great.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Gross income less all investments, all purchases from other businesses and all dividends paid to shareholders."

OK- I pay a rancher for a hunting lease.He has to pay 9% to the Feds.[passive income according to Sean].Since I'm "purchasing from another business-the rancher- whatever I pay him[let's say 1000 bucks to make it easy] is a business expense for purposes om MY taxes.

Now I sublease it to Sean for 1300 bucks.I have to charge him 9% of the 1300 bucks and send it to the Feds.

At the end of the year,I send the Feds another 9% of the 300 dollar profit I made.

That's simple enough[I guess].

Under the present system,I get 13 Benjamins from Sean,pocket 3 and give the rancher 10.

999 ain't never gonna compete with 000.grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Exactly why is it that continuing class and generational warfare amongst Americans seems like the best idea to you?

Sean, I think the question should be: Is advocating a middle class tax increase the best strategy to unseat Obama? Is it a winning strategy going into 2012?

Keep in mind that people tend to vote for their own economic self interests, and this won't be in their best interests regardless of how fair it might be.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Actually those of us who have gray hair had a fair hand in causing the problem. Not so much the young ones who are getting the bill.

Someone finally said it.

Thank you.

Personally, I'd love to say "f'k you" to the IRS and have those leaching off me and mine deal on their own.

Didn't save enough for your retirement and can't get by? Not my f'kin' problem; get a job.

Can't pay for your health care? Not my f'kin' problem; find a charity, rely on family, or die.

But, no, the class and generational warfare has to continue until the whole damned system collapses, just so the "some pigs are more equal than others" mind set can blame the younger generations and stick them with the tab, then whine when the tab can't be paid.

I don't give a schit whether it's 9-9-9, 5-5-5, or 30-30-30; get everyone's skin in the game equally, and have ALL Americans ponying up for the excesses of .gov, and we'll see quickly what's really important, and what can go away.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by NeBassman

Sean, I think the question should be: Is advocating a middle class tax increase the best strategy to unseat Obama? Is it a winning strategy going into 2012?

Keep in mind that people tend to vote for their own economic self interests, and this won't be in their best interests regardless of how fair it might be.

F'k Hussein, f'k class and generational warfare, and f'k an unequal tax structure just because it's politically expedient.

Identify the damned problem, create a simple, direct solution, and get everyone in on the fix equally.

Otherwise, Hell.... put Hussein back in there, and let's crash this whole damned thing once and for all, so we can rebuild it back from the ashes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why is it that you think some Americans need to be exempt from fixing this nation's problems, and having equal skin in the game when it comes to funding programs and budgets?

Well it turns out Cain's plan is not flat after all being that there's no tax on capital gains. Folks like Warren Buffett would pay at a lower rate than ordinary wage earners. Maybe you should ask Cain why he thinks some Americans need to be exempt from fixing this nation's problems, and having equal skin in the game when it comes to funding programs and budgets.

Guess you think there's no difference between retired folks, their children and their grand children when it comes to the economy and taxes. Your class and generational warfare shtick is blind to the laws of nature and reality.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
No, I see Americans as Americans.

Obviously, you don't.

Hussein will welcome your continued support, Komrade, as like you, he sees some pigs as more equal than others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't read the entire thread, and so I apologize if this has already been pointed out. I'm sure ABC didn't choose the "family of four with a $50,000 income" by chance. They likely chose it because they believe it makes the 999 plan look bad.

A family of four making $50,000 would have four personal exemptions at $3,700 each, for a total deduction from income of $14,800. The $50,000 is down to $35,200. The standard deduction for a married couple filing jointly is $11,600, and so the $50,000 gross income is now $23,600 in taxable income. Other deductions/credits could reduce taxable income even further.

According to the 2010 Tax Tables, the tax liability for a married couple filing jointly with $23,600 in taxable income is $2,706. From this amount, the family of four could deduct a $1,000 child tax credit for each child, or $2,000 total.

When all is said and done, this hypothetical family of four making $50,000 would have an income tax liability of $706. $706 divided by $50,000 equals an effective federal income tax rate of only 1.4%.

Any meaningful tax reform plan that would put this country on a sound financial footing is going to require more than a 1.4% tax rate (or less) from the vast middle class. I'd be willing to pay more if it meant that my kids would not inherit a bankrupt, third-world country.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 10/13/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, I see Americans as Americans.

Obviously, you don't.

Hussein will welcome your continued support, Komrade, as like you, he sees some pigs as more equal than others.

So why should Warren Buffett and other wall street fat cats get a lower tax rate under Cain's plan than most other Americans? Apparently you see some pigs as more equal than others.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
There's that class warfare again. It's the only card you have, isn't it, Komrade?

You don't read well at all, do you?

Dividend INCOME is taxed at 9%. It's just not double taxed.

Capital gains are not taxed, because the initial investment was already taxed as income; thus, no double taxation.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cain's plan is "exposed"? Goodness, he's doing all he can go get some exposure for it! And from nice 'neutral' source like ABC? Maybe you might find a source that isn't just a slice of the Democrat propaganda wing?

Cain's plan would shift taxes in a way that would make them transperant even to most of America's dummies who can't see how hidden taxes are eating them alive!

Ever notice that the Dems ALWAYS demonize the mean ol' rich and say they favor the 'working man'? But the system remains the same and the really rich give far more money to Dems than the competition so maybe there's something between what Dems say and what Dems do that isn't quite right? (Dwell on that a few minutes!)

All BOzo and company have to run on next year is racial demigoguery. It's going to be the worst slime and smear canpaign ever seen of whomever the Republican nominee is! But Cain has to be their worst nightmare; how can they rage that all non-BO voters are racist if we vote for an intelligent real black man instead of a bumbling, empty suit half breed?

Go Cain!

Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (06hunter59, 160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 54 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,134
Posts18,523,194
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.