Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Kurt, would it be OK by you if I sent you a PM????

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Yes Jim, I would sooner respond to a name then a handle. And Yes your welcome to PM me but I wont be able to give you more advice then what I put down below.

I'm sure your Shiloh will have a 1/19 twist like the two of mine do so it will favor the shorter bullets. If you want weigh for a particular hunting load you can gain it by using a round nose or flat point bullet and keep the length down.
The long nosed elliptical and prolate bullets a lot of guys including me want to use for the 800 to 1000 match shooting will fall flat on there face past 500 yards.
I think with out going back to your early post that you want this rifle for hunting and I think you said 8" accuracy was good enough, your rifle will do better then that with what ever you stuff in it.
I look for 2" or better @200 yards. I never got what I want for accuracy using 2F powder and I worked with 2F swiss and 2F KIK both powders gave a lot of vertical no matter what bullet length or shape I worked with. I use 100 grains of 1.5 or 1F KIK exclusively in the .44 with a 1.325 to 1.340" long bullet of the design of the original type bullets in the photo's. They work and work good for target work and hunting. I used it for a Bison hunt last fall and that bullet passed straight through a 1000+ pound two year old meat bull with a clean one shot kill at around 100 yards.
The Shiloh rough rider I use for hunting has a 32" round heavy with a Lawrence rear sight and a blade front and with the load I listed will shoot 5 shot at 138 yards into a 50 cent size group.
The .44-2-5/8 BN will bring down what ever you aim it at.
I also shoot the .50-90, It always has been my pet but it's not getting used as much as the .44 anymore.

Jim load up some loads and get behind that but plate and learn what that rifle can do. No one can give you a magic load for it it's something you will have to work out with that rifle.

My load is a 1.340 long PP bullet 486 grains with 1/40 T/L alloy patched to .438 with 100% cotton paper.
100 grains of 1.5 KIK powder.
Win. LR primer. one 1/16" cork wad over the powder then a milk carton wad over it, next I use a 1/8" lube wad then another cork and a milk carton wad under the bullet with a light taper crimp just enough so the bullet wont fall out.
Keep all the wads above the shoulder in the case neck and that .300" wad stack will give you enough room to seat the bullet in the case about 3/16".

Enjoy your new rifle it well shoot good.

Kurt

Last edited by Kurt71; 10/19/11. Reason: error
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ET, I am gladdened to know you have finally received your treasure. I hope it gives you some good times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, so here we are Thursday and no range report???? Stand to and report mister!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
madI haven't been able to get out with it YET! BG opens Saturday AM and just mebbe I'll bring it and shoot a test run to see where it is hitting and use it. Not the best way, but I am absolutely DROOLING to make that damn monster go *BOOM*

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
SHARPS are what all the OTHER rifles want to be....when they grow up!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ok -- so anybody else here starting to think that SOMEBODY is just funnin' us into believing he got a new rifle???

I would have shot that thing before the brown truck was out of sight.

Just saying it seems peculiar thats all...

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JD - I got my new 45-90 Sharps the same day as ET got his. I haven't shot mine either eek. I have the cases sized and trimmed and ready to load, bullets lubed and wads ready, but between my work, visitors from out of town and family "troubles" back in Nebraska, I just haven't had the time to get out. When we both are able to get out, you and the rest of the gang will definitely hear about it. Hopefully this coming weekend for me . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Work, family, friends yada, yada, yada - Otter, you and ET have got to have some priorities in life. Don't you realize that the rest of us drones are relying on you guys to get out and shoot and post pictures so that WE have something to live for??

I understand that you are busy and life gets in the way of doing the things we want to do - I didn't mean to make it sound like you folks are selfish, self centered bastids that don't give a hoot in Hell for the rest of us.

A few words and a pic now and then would be nice - just sayin'

smile

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ET's out in the deer woods I believe...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JD - I did post pics of mine . . . not real good pics, but pics nonetheless . . .

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...9056/Re_My_new_Buffler_rifle#Post5719056

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know, but if I ever hadn't got to shoot a new rifle for 2 weeks, I'ld be one grumpy sob....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Otter,
Sorry for being a thoughtless pos about the "family" business you had to attend to here in Nebraska. Trying to be clever and failed as usual. Truly sorry about your mother's passing.

That is a beautiful rifle. If I were to have one built it would be that rifle...probably in a .40-something caliber.

I think that we all would like to see some pics of targets, loaded ammo, dead critters a la Sharps, you know, that kind of eye candy.

As far as ET being in the deer woods...well, that is a decent enough excuse but now he DOUBLE SUCKS!!

smile

Johnny $

Kaywoodie
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, there are EXCUSES and then there are REASONS for doing or not doing things. I think Otter has a valid reason for not shooting his new rifle for about a week.

ET flat out doesn't have an excuse. He's at DEER CAMP, for crying out loud! If there was ever a perfect opportunity to show off and shoot a new Shiloh, I don't know what it is. He even had ammo loaded waiting for the rifle. We ought to be seeing pictures of the new rifle and a deer taken with it by now. Anything else is derelection of duty, and whether ET realizes it or not, these Shilohs can get pizzed off and have their feelings hurt by not being shot right out of the box. If your Sharps gets mad at you and sulks, you can have a hell of a difficult time getting it to shoot. I wouldn't be surprised if ET isn't in that phase right now. Just sayin'...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Shot the rifle!! It splits trees better than a hydraulic splitter! grin Didn't shoot for group, just POI. Good enuff to hunt a deer with. Saw ONE buck. Logging cut,3 years old. Frost downed peckerbush. ALL I could see at 60 yards wuz the sun glinting on his antlers,his black noe and the white on his tail. The entire rest of the deer disappeared in plain sight!!! Completely invisible in his color camoflage. Wish I wuz colorblind when that happens. Still gotta get regular range shooting but my FIL has some severe problems that need be taken care of. LOVE this rifle grin I can SEMI-retire my original now.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Shot the rifle!! It splits trees better than a hydraulic splitter! grin Didn't shoot for group, just POI. Good enuff to hunt a deer with. Saw ONE buck. Logging cut,3 years old. Frost downed peckerbush. ALL I could see at 60 yards wuz the sun glinting on his antlers,his black noe and the white on his tail. The entire rest of the deer disappeared in plain sight!!! Completely invisible in his color camoflage. Wish I wuz colorblind when that happens. Still gotta get regular range shooting but my FIL has some severe problems that need be taken care of. LOVE this rifle grin I can SEMI-retire my original now.

Jim,

Just carefully pack up your original and ship it to me grin

You TOLD me on the phone that I needed a Sharps! This way you KNOW it will go to a good home and will be cared for. laugh

See, solved two problems at once...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grinToo-Many-Letters, once again my old Pard has the answer grin
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dang, you've got a one-track mind! laugh

We'll have to continue our conversation tomorrow since you're out of the woods and I finished my hay shed.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JD - I did not take your comments as "thoughtless" but just as friendly chiding, so no apology necessary (we all have our "crosses to bear", right?).

I do finally have my cases prepped and ready to stuff in the powder, wads and bullets. I really do plan on getting out this weekend and running all 100 rounds through the 45-90, more to fire-form the cases and "break in" the barrel than to shoot for accuracy. I do not expect much for groups but highly anticipate hearing the boom, smelling the sweet smell of spent BP and giggling grin.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Otter, I am pleased to see that at least someone remained SENSIBLE grin A 45/90 is a LOT easier to get right than a 44/90. I got EXTREMELY lucky to have made the connect to Kurt. There really isn't a large pool of experience out there for the old 44/90. Odd actually as after being able to see some of the shipping and order records for the 1873-1877 period,it is clear that the 44/90 outsold the "Big Fifty" Sharps by a pretty fair margin. It was also the "Creedmore" round of choice. Nowadyas the straight wall cases have a huge following while the bottleneck cases not so much. Have a BALL!!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.