-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, I will, ET, guaranteed, I will. Hope that Kurt helps you to get to the straight and narrow post haste. Isn't it great to have the resources and personal support available so the learning curve can be compressed? Were those not available, I'd still be trying to figure out what BP is and where it can be had grin.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grinMan, when I first got my original Sharps in 1994, there was almost NO pool of experience to speak of ESPECIALLY in the BIG cartridges!!! AND there was no "'Net" to speak of to acquire information that WAS out there!! Talk about re-inventing the wheel grin Musta gone through a ton of lead and nearly as much powder before I got the danged thing to see things my way(somewhat) grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Otter was and remains a true gentleman showing the breeding and heritage of those reared in the honorable Cornhusker nation.

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Otter, I am pleased to see that at least someone remained SENSIBLE grin A 45/90 is a LOT easier to get right than a 44/90. grin

ET, we are still waiting:

- "...A 45/90 is a LOT easier to get right than a 44/90..." I really know nothing about the 44/90 but I am guessing that one of the first steps to "getting it right" would be, and I am just guessing here, but maybe,
SHOOTING THE DAMN THING!!

grin

Johnny $

Last edited by Johnny Dollar; 10/28/11.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty cool stuff, ET. smile

One of these days I need to watch somebody paper patch bullets who knows what they are doing. I dabbled with it on my Field's Patent .500-450 #1 Blackpowder Express, but it leaded up after 3 shots and I never was sure if it was bore condition, or my lack of savvy.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Otter was and remains a true gentleman showing the breeding and heritage of those reared in the honorable Cornhusker nation.

Otter, I am pleased to see that at least someone remained SENSIBLE grin A 45/90 is a LOT easier to get right than a 44/90. grin

ET, we are still waiting:

- "...A 45/90 is a LOT easier to get right than a 44/90..." I really know nothing about the 44/90 but I am guessing that one of the first steps to "getting it right" would be, and I am just guessing here, but maybe,
SHOOTING THE DAMN THING!!

grin

grinYer gittin' blind in yer dotage there Lad grin Note my post regarding letting a few go and splitting a 4" sapling grin

Johnny $

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great rifle and Cool round!, dont for get the 44/77, it and the 44/90 along with the 50/70 were the Buffalo rounds, in the 1st years of the Hunt! about 10 years ago I ordered a 44/77 from the Ballard rifle Co. I shot a nice 250lb Black Bear with it. wish I still had it. have to get back into the blackpower game one of these days Im thinking!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlering
Great rifle and Cool round!, dont for get the 44/77, it and the 44/90 along with the 50/70 were the Buffalo rounds, in the 1st years of the Hunt! about 10 years ago I ordered a 44/77 from the Ballard rifle Co. I shot a nice 250lb Black Bear with it. wish I still had it. have to get back into the blackpower game one of these days Im thinking!

So were the 50/90, 45-110, 40-90 BN and the 45-70..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They are great rounds also, but came later in the game. I have taken alot of meat critters with the 45-70, I have owned about a dozen Shilo, and C. sharps, rifles, the Ballard and two Sharps Borchardts. starting to get the bug again! I took a 150lb bear with the last shilo Sharps i owned it was in 40-70ss

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlering
They are great rounds also, but came later in the game.

Well, I have only owned about a half dozen Shilohs myself. wink

And was a personal friend of Wolf Dreoge( Shiloh's founder). I live in Dodge City, KS (and know a bit about the history of the Buffalo hunting as well as Sharps cartridges ,myowself)

The 50/90 and 40/90 BN were pretty much there at the start.

The 45/70- due to the fact free ammunition was available from the Army, pretty much killed off the the 44/77 after 1875 or so. As did the .45 2/7/8 case to the 44/90.

A hell of a lot of Buffalo were killed in Texas and Wyoming/Montana from 1875 to 1880 and all those cartridges figured prominently in the slaughter.

And YES you are right- it IS an additction launching those big slugs downrange with Black powder! wink

Last edited by jim62; 10/31/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well you live there and I have just read books, guess we learn something every day, and YES they are fun, I have just used mine for bear and deer, i did shoot a buffalo but with a win. 1886 made in 1901, in 45-70, hope to shoot another one someday, maybe another campfire hunt! out the door to go Bowhunting!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grinOutside of cranking out a few at hunting camp to see if I could kill a deer or bear wid it, I hadta wait until yesterday to get actual range time. No.1:The cases fireformed A LOT. The shoulder moved forward and rounded into the gentle radius tht Kurt described. It did NOT contribute to gilt edged accuracy. However, I was shooting at the tiny little silouette in the upper left hand corner of a K5 at 100 yards and nailed it nicely. Group was about handsized and the little guy was zapped like a natural christian. I am gonna load up and shoot the rest of the cases in that 100 piece bag before I start to work up any really good loads. RCBS folks said they'd make me a neck size die. I am very pleased to note the rifle has a nice tight neck portion of the chamber. All I would need do is use heavier paper if it became necessary. I don't care to do that as I am working only about 2 mils under bore as it is. I am liking this boomstick A LOT!!! grin

Last edited by EvilTwin; 11/01/11.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
- Yer gittin' blind in yer dotage there

Hey! Who you calling OLD there? Geezer!

Don't make me come up there and sort you out - cause I'll do!

(Is your house handicapped accessible? I have problems with my walker on stair steps...)

laugh

So you finally got around to doing some shooting. Were you using Kurt's loads or were you just fireforming?

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Turned out ta be fireforming with full loads. I was using 90g of FFG Express and a 490 g PP slug. I think it is gonna get tried at 100 g next time out.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 11/01/11.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 25 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.