OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
44/90 BN Got here today, just wiped all the white stuff off it grin
[Linked Image]
The Hartford Collar
[Linked Image]
Pack Hardened finish
[Linked Image]

My original Sharps 45/110 and my new Sharps 44/90. Mebbe I'll call them "The Ghost and the Darkness" grin

[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad I'm here to get sloppy seconds! Bootiful rifle Jim!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For a guy with a new rifle, what does it take to make you smile?

smile smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very very nice, You can roll some bacon in Tennessee with that pair grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HAPPY day, Jim. For both of us. I got my #3 Sporter 45-90 today, too. Just as beautiful as your fine looking rifle.

I'll post a few pics tomorrow . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD

smile smile

grinC'mon Brent!! This is the (in)famous "Campfire scowl". Obligatory wear for fresh killed big game,new rifles,any good news at all!! Only de wimmins and de chirrens are exempt unless they are Campfire denizens theirownselves grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Otter you and ET kiss my Hillbilly grits !!! grin Guess for now all I can do is listen to the music till mine arrives...Oh BTW you two do officially SUCK!!

http://www.shilohrifle.com/

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

smile smile

I thought he WAS smiling!?! confused laugh

Ed

BTW, ET, VERY nice rifle! Now you can box up that old, tired one and mail it to me. I'll PM my address. grin

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

smile smile

I thought he WAS smiling!?! confused laugh

Ed

BTW, ET, VERY nice rifle! Now you can box up that old, tired one and mail it to me. I'll PM my address. grin

grinI'll let one of my erstwhile Pards respond to that on Too-Many-Letters grin
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice rifle, Jim, splendid.

Who's the maker of that rifle ?

Could you tell more about the caliber ?

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

smile smile

That is Jim smiling.

I like the original mo' betta, but the new iron is a looker indeed. Bet it shoots.....

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
"The Ghost and The Darkness"...

I like it. A lot.

Beautiful rifle, and a very proper mate to the original.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jim: I just ran across this post....why is it that a guy as fugly as you is allowed to own such a beautiful rifle???

There oughta be a law....... wink

Cool phuggin beans pard.... cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"The Ghost and The Darkness"
I like it.
Two very nice rifles and coincidentally I was thinking about both a Sharps rifle (I've decided I need one but haven't managed to think up a way to tell SWMBO) and that movie today.
I want to get a copy of the movie to show my kids, plus I haven't seen it in years and it's worth watching.

The original international turd
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
them bufflers is lucky they is already almost extinct....or they'd really be in trouble.

beautiful rifle. you have to stop this constant sales pitch, man.....like feeding me a crack pipe.

get thee behind me, ET. wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hmmm don't look like a buffler rifle to me

more like a POG rifle, pizzed off grizzly

can like the names you've chosen for them

but I'll give you fair warning Jim, don't be posting no targets with holes close together, hell I have a paper punch too (how do you think I get them good groups)

just haul azz up here and I'll let you know if it's a shooter, well after the smoke clears.

nice set you got there

take pride Jim, not often a man will get to hear that phrase from me

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Randy, I guess I gotta start dropping cash into my cookie jar grin Mebbe 2013 if the price ain't too horrid grin Hey Steve,I am the EvilTwin!! I drag people over to the Darkside grin YOU NEED a SHARPS!!! A 45/110!! And ya need it BAAAAD!!! grin grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
maarty--You DO need one. These things call to some of us in no uncertain terms, and I have several of them, in fact.

Simply tell the wife you have been wanting a Shiloh for quite some time, and have decided to get it. Then order it. If she kicks, tell her to get over it, and make it stick. Some things are worth fighting over if you have to, and winning. This is one of those things.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Randy, I guess I gotta start dropping cash into my cookie jar grin Mebbe 2013 if the price ain't too horrid grin Hey Steve,I am the EvilTwin!! I drag people over to the Darkside grin YOU NEED a SHARPS!!! A 45/110!! And ya need it BAAAAD!!! grin grin

I relate, he drug me to the dark side in the worst way!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alright , it's been plenty damn long enough, WHERE"S THE RANGE REPORT???????

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We were inundated by rain yesterday and today. Going ML deer hunting for the next 2 with a flinter. When I get back I give it a test run.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice rifle my friend!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The .44-90 sbn is a interesting caliber. Don't be hard headed when you work up loads for it. It will let you know what it likes and dont like in a hurry.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fine looking pair ET, good for you!!! I need to be shooting mine more. Good luck on the ML hunt.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ET, if Kurt71 is who I think he is, you need to listen to him. He knows what he is talking about. Just sayin...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep. Welcome, Kurt.

Just don't get caught up in the craziness around here.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Thank you Paul.
I have been lurking for a long time around here and there is a lot of good things of interest for me in most of these forums.
I was registered under a different name but when I cleaned out my Lap top I lost the pass word so I registered. I couldn't find a way close the old account. I hope that wont cause a problem.

Kurt

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just got back today from a ML hunt. No luck but FINALLY for the first time in 7 years we hae a bumper cropo of beechnuts. BIG black bear came down within 60 yards of the camp during the nite to chow down on apples from a nearly century old orchard. Kurt, my swami indicator sez yer a pretty good man on the old 44/90's . I figure to first make it go "BOOM" just for the fun. Nice being a 10 year old at 62 grin I hope I can get this creature running soon. Have a pretty busy month ahead. I hope to listen up to ya pretty soon.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cant you shoot the bear????

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not at nite.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi ET,

Christmas before 25th of December! Very nice single shot! I think it's 44-90 Sharps necked, not Remington straight. What cases do you use to make the 44-90? Are they available from US makers like Starline or Buffalo bore?
Will you go to more than 500grs bullets or stay around 450 to 480?
These slugs must penetrate a bit...
Regards
dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jamisons Ltd. for brass.
Live round
[Linked Image]
Going with a 490 grain paper patched and 90 g of FFG (becuz that is what I have a lot of on hand) for starters.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

44-90 Sharps, nice pill! Think buffalos need to take care and black bears too.
I just read Jameson is closing, you need to stock some cases.
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I like the bullet profile. Tell me all about it.
But the patch looks like it was glued on?????????

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Kurt,my bad. I copied and pasted that photo from a historic site. This is the one I have (w/ one of my 45/110 and a 30/06)
[Linked Image]

Last edited by EvilTwin; 10/18/11.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim: Jamison IS going out of business and possibly as early as this week so you might think about stocking up

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jorge just finished talking with em on the phone they will be taking orders up to closing hours Wednesday and said any brass back orders or out of stock items will be processed and shipped through Graf and sons...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
EvilTwin.

I was going to say that you had the original bullet cloned very close. I had Steve Brooks make an adjustable mould from a sample of a original bullet and he nailed it.
Also the 11 degree taper on the shoulder had a slight radius not straight.
Here is my round with a 1.325 long 485 grain 1/40 alloy bullet loaded with 100 grains of 1.5 KIK powder.
To this day I have found nothing that will out shoot this load combo in my two .44-90 BN's.
[Linked Image]

Kurt

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, when I first ordered the rifle, I had no reference to gve folks who asked so I dug up a photo of an old round and that is what is up there. I'd like to have a million questions for ya but I think I'd best make a few attempts first so I have a frame of reference to work from. I was fascinated to learn the 44/90 outsold the 50/90 on the buffalo range. It appears that it had/has plenty of horsepower and I hunt, I don't shoot comp at all. My real name is Jim Martin and you can either go by my name of my handle as you wish.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Kurt, would it be OK by you if I sent you a PM????

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Yes Jim, I would sooner respond to a name then a handle. And Yes your welcome to PM me but I wont be able to give you more advice then what I put down below.

I'm sure your Shiloh will have a 1/19 twist like the two of mine do so it will favor the shorter bullets. If you want weigh for a particular hunting load you can gain it by using a round nose or flat point bullet and keep the length down.
The long nosed elliptical and prolate bullets a lot of guys including me want to use for the 800 to 1000 match shooting will fall flat on there face past 500 yards.
I think with out going back to your early post that you want this rifle for hunting and I think you said 8" accuracy was good enough, your rifle will do better then that with what ever you stuff in it.
I look for 2" or better @200 yards. I never got what I want for accuracy using 2F powder and I worked with 2F swiss and 2F KIK both powders gave a lot of vertical no matter what bullet length or shape I worked with. I use 100 grains of 1.5 or 1F KIK exclusively in the .44 with a 1.325 to 1.340" long bullet of the design of the original type bullets in the photo's. They work and work good for target work and hunting. I used it for a Bison hunt last fall and that bullet passed straight through a 1000+ pound two year old meat bull with a clean one shot kill at around 100 yards.
The Shiloh rough rider I use for hunting has a 32" round heavy with a Lawrence rear sight and a blade front and with the load I listed will shoot 5 shot at 138 yards into a 50 cent size group.
The .44-2-5/8 BN will bring down what ever you aim it at.
I also shoot the .50-90, It always has been my pet but it's not getting used as much as the .44 anymore.

Jim load up some loads and get behind that but plate and learn what that rifle can do. No one can give you a magic load for it it's something you will have to work out with that rifle.

My load is a 1.340 long PP bullet 486 grains with 1/40 T/L alloy patched to .438 with 100% cotton paper.
100 grains of 1.5 KIK powder.
Win. LR primer. one 1/16" cork wad over the powder then a milk carton wad over it, next I use a 1/8" lube wad then another cork and a milk carton wad under the bullet with a light taper crimp just enough so the bullet wont fall out.
Keep all the wads above the shoulder in the case neck and that .300" wad stack will give you enough room to seat the bullet in the case about 3/16".

Enjoy your new rifle it well shoot good.

Kurt

Last edited by Kurt71; 10/19/11. Reason: error
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ET, I am gladdened to know you have finally received your treasure. I hope it gives you some good times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, so here we are Thursday and no range report???? Stand to and report mister!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
madI haven't been able to get out with it YET! BG opens Saturday AM and just mebbe I'll bring it and shoot a test run to see where it is hitting and use it. Not the best way, but I am absolutely DROOLING to make that damn monster go *BOOM*

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
SHARPS are what all the OTHER rifles want to be....when they grow up!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ok -- so anybody else here starting to think that SOMEBODY is just funnin' us into believing he got a new rifle???

I would have shot that thing before the brown truck was out of sight.

Just saying it seems peculiar thats all...

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JD - I got my new 45-90 Sharps the same day as ET got his. I haven't shot mine either eek. I have the cases sized and trimmed and ready to load, bullets lubed and wads ready, but between my work, visitors from out of town and family "troubles" back in Nebraska, I just haven't had the time to get out. When we both are able to get out, you and the rest of the gang will definitely hear about it. Hopefully this coming weekend for me . . .

NRA Endowment Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Work, family, friends yada, yada, yada - Otter, you and ET have got to have some priorities in life. Don't you realize that the rest of us drones are relying on you guys to get out and shoot and post pictures so that WE have something to live for??

I understand that you are busy and life gets in the way of doing the things we want to do - I didn't mean to make it sound like you folks are selfish, self centered bastids that don't give a hoot in Hell for the rest of us.

A few words and a pic now and then would be nice - just sayin'

smile

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ET's out in the deer woods I believe...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JD - I did post pics of mine . . . not real good pics, but pics nonetheless . . .

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...9056/Re_My_new_Buffler_rifle#Post5719056

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know, but if I ever hadn't got to shoot a new rifle for 2 weeks, I'ld be one grumpy sob....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Otter,
Sorry for being a thoughtless pos about the "family" business you had to attend to here in Nebraska. Trying to be clever and failed as usual. Truly sorry about your mother's passing.

That is a beautiful rifle. If I were to have one built it would be that rifle...probably in a .40-something caliber.

I think that we all would like to see some pics of targets, loaded ammo, dead critters a la Sharps, you know, that kind of eye candy.

As far as ET being in the deer woods...well, that is a decent enough excuse but now he DOUBLE SUCKS!!

smile

Johnny $

Kaywoodie
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, there are EXCUSES and then there are REASONS for doing or not doing things. I think Otter has a valid reason for not shooting his new rifle for about a week.

ET flat out doesn't have an excuse. He's at DEER CAMP, for crying out loud! If there was ever a perfect opportunity to show off and shoot a new Shiloh, I don't know what it is. He even had ammo loaded waiting for the rifle. We ought to be seeing pictures of the new rifle and a deer taken with it by now. Anything else is derelection of duty, and whether ET realizes it or not, these Shilohs can get pizzed off and have their feelings hurt by not being shot right out of the box. If your Sharps gets mad at you and sulks, you can have a hell of a difficult time getting it to shoot. I wouldn't be surprised if ET isn't in that phase right now. Just sayin'...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Shot the rifle!! It splits trees better than a hydraulic splitter! grin Didn't shoot for group, just POI. Good enuff to hunt a deer with. Saw ONE buck. Logging cut,3 years old. Frost downed peckerbush. ALL I could see at 60 yards wuz the sun glinting on his antlers,his black noe and the white on his tail. The entire rest of the deer disappeared in plain sight!!! Completely invisible in his color camoflage. Wish I wuz colorblind when that happens. Still gotta get regular range shooting but my FIL has some severe problems that need be taken care of. LOVE this rifle grin I can SEMI-retire my original now.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Shot the rifle!! It splits trees better than a hydraulic splitter! grin Didn't shoot for group, just POI. Good enuff to hunt a deer with. Saw ONE buck. Logging cut,3 years old. Frost downed peckerbush. ALL I could see at 60 yards wuz the sun glinting on his antlers,his black noe and the white on his tail. The entire rest of the deer disappeared in plain sight!!! Completely invisible in his color camoflage. Wish I wuz colorblind when that happens. Still gotta get regular range shooting but my FIL has some severe problems that need be taken care of. LOVE this rifle grin I can SEMI-retire my original now.

Jim,

Just carefully pack up your original and ship it to me grin

You TOLD me on the phone that I needed a Sharps! This way you KNOW it will go to a good home and will be cared for. laugh

See, solved two problems at once...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grinToo-Many-Letters, once again my old Pard has the answer grin
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dang, you've got a one-track mind! laugh

We'll have to continue our conversation tomorrow since you're out of the woods and I finished my hay shed.

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JD - I did not take your comments as "thoughtless" but just as friendly chiding, so no apology necessary (we all have our "crosses to bear", right?).

I do finally have my cases prepped and ready to stuff in the powder, wads and bullets. I really do plan on getting out this weekend and running all 100 rounds through the 45-90, more to fire-form the cases and "break in" the barrel than to shoot for accuracy. I do not expect much for groups but highly anticipate hearing the boom, smelling the sweet smell of spent BP and giggling grin.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Otter, I am pleased to see that at least someone remained SENSIBLE grin A 45/90 is a LOT easier to get right than a 44/90. I got EXTREMELY lucky to have made the connect to Kurt. There really isn't a large pool of experience out there for the old 44/90. Odd actually as after being able to see some of the shipping and order records for the 1873-1877 period,it is clear that the 44/90 outsold the "Big Fifty" Sharps by a pretty fair margin. It was also the "Creedmore" round of choice. Nowadyas the straight wall cases have a huge following while the bottleneck cases not so much. Have a BALL!!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, I will, ET, guaranteed, I will. Hope that Kurt helps you to get to the straight and narrow post haste. Isn't it great to have the resources and personal support available so the learning curve can be compressed? Were those not available, I'd still be trying to figure out what BP is and where it can be had grin.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grinMan, when I first got my original Sharps in 1994, there was almost NO pool of experience to speak of ESPECIALLY in the BIG cartridges!!! AND there was no "'Net" to speak of to acquire information that WAS out there!! Talk about re-inventing the wheel grin Musta gone through a ton of lead and nearly as much powder before I got the danged thing to see things my way(somewhat) grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Otter was and remains a true gentleman showing the breeding and heritage of those reared in the honorable Cornhusker nation.

Otter, I am pleased to see that at least someone remained SENSIBLE grin A 45/90 is a LOT easier to get right than a 44/90. grin

ET, we are still waiting:

- "...A 45/90 is a LOT easier to get right than a 44/90..." I really know nothing about the 44/90 but I am guessing that one of the first steps to "getting it right" would be, and I am just guessing here, but maybe,
SHOOTING THE DAMN THING!!

grin

Johnny $

Last edited by Johnny Dollar; 10/28/11.

Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty cool stuff, ET. smile

One of these days I need to watch somebody paper patch bullets who knows what they are doing. I dabbled with it on my Field's Patent .500-450 #1 Blackpowder Express, but it leaded up after 3 shots and I never was sure if it was bore condition, or my lack of savvy.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Otter was and remains a true gentleman showing the breeding and heritage of those reared in the honorable Cornhusker nation.

Otter, I am pleased to see that at least someone remained SENSIBLE grin A 45/90 is a LOT easier to get right than a 44/90. grin

ET, we are still waiting:

- "...A 45/90 is a LOT easier to get right than a 44/90..." I really know nothing about the 44/90 but I am guessing that one of the first steps to "getting it right" would be, and I am just guessing here, but maybe,
SHOOTING THE DAMN THING!!

grin

grinYer gittin' blind in yer dotage there Lad grin Note my post regarding letting a few go and splitting a 4" sapling grin

Johnny $

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great rifle and Cool round!, dont for get the 44/77, it and the 44/90 along with the 50/70 were the Buffalo rounds, in the 1st years of the Hunt! about 10 years ago I ordered a 44/77 from the Ballard rifle Co. I shot a nice 250lb Black Bear with it. wish I still had it. have to get back into the blackpower game one of these days Im thinking!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlering
Great rifle and Cool round!, dont for get the 44/77, it and the 44/90 along with the 50/70 were the Buffalo rounds, in the 1st years of the Hunt! about 10 years ago I ordered a 44/77 from the Ballard rifle Co. I shot a nice 250lb Black Bear with it. wish I still had it. have to get back into the blackpower game one of these days Im thinking!

So were the 50/90, 45-110, 40-90 BN and the 45-70..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They are great rounds also, but came later in the game. I have taken alot of meat critters with the 45-70, I have owned about a dozen Shilo, and C. sharps, rifles, the Ballard and two Sharps Borchardts. starting to get the bug again! I took a 150lb bear with the last shilo Sharps i owned it was in 40-70ss

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlering
They are great rounds also, but came later in the game.

Well, I have only owned about a half dozen Shilohs myself. wink

And was a personal friend of Wolf Dreoge( Shiloh's founder). I live in Dodge City, KS (and know a bit about the history of the Buffalo hunting as well as Sharps cartridges ,myowself)

The 50/90 and 40/90 BN were pretty much there at the start.

The 45/70- due to the fact free ammunition was available from the Army, pretty much killed off the the 44/77 after 1875 or so. As did the .45 2/7/8 case to the 44/90.

A hell of a lot of Buffalo were killed in Texas and Wyoming/Montana from 1875 to 1880 and all those cartridges figured prominently in the slaughter.

And YES you are right- it IS an additction launching those big slugs downrange with Black powder! wink

Last edited by jim62; 10/31/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well you live there and I have just read books, guess we learn something every day, and YES they are fun, I have just used mine for bear and deer, i did shoot a buffalo but with a win. 1886 made in 1901, in 45-70, hope to shoot another one someday, maybe another campfire hunt! out the door to go Bowhunting!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grinOutside of cranking out a few at hunting camp to see if I could kill a deer or bear wid it, I hadta wait until yesterday to get actual range time. No.1:The cases fireformed A LOT. The shoulder moved forward and rounded into the gentle radius tht Kurt described. It did NOT contribute to gilt edged accuracy. However, I was shooting at the tiny little silouette in the upper left hand corner of a K5 at 100 yards and nailed it nicely. Group was about handsized and the little guy was zapped like a natural christian. I am gonna load up and shoot the rest of the cases in that 100 piece bag before I start to work up any really good loads. RCBS folks said they'd make me a neck size die. I am very pleased to note the rifle has a nice tight neck portion of the chamber. All I would need do is use heavier paper if it became necessary. I don't care to do that as I am working only about 2 mils under bore as it is. I am liking this boomstick A LOT!!! grin

Last edited by EvilTwin; 11/01/11.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
- Yer gittin' blind in yer dotage there

Hey! Who you calling OLD there? Geezer!

Don't make me come up there and sort you out - cause I'll do!

(Is your house handicapped accessible? I have problems with my walker on stair steps...)

laugh

So you finally got around to doing some shooting. Were you using Kurt's loads or were you just fireforming?

Johnny $

Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Turned out ta be fireforming with full loads. I was using 90g of FFG Express and a 490 g PP slug. I think it is gonna get tried at 100 g next time out.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 11/01/11.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1OntarioJim, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,567 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.