Print Thread
Hop To
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Shot both today during a sight in session. The Axis was brand new with the packaged scope. The Remington was an older model that also had the package scope.

These are competing models in the value category. The triggers were the same. The scope on the Remington was a real handicap. The cheap package scope on the Axis brought in tighter groups.

Ergos? I remember a few times having to pull up before firing just to readjust my hand on the Axis. The contoured pistol grip kept distracting me.

I could get use to the grip on the Axis (maybe) or put a better scope on the Remy.

In the end, given the opportunity to pick a free one off the shelve, my hand would levitate toward the edge.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IMHO, the Marlin XS7 is a better rifle at a similar price point.

Scott
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
IMHO, the Marlin XS7 is a better rifle at a similar price point.

What he said.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I heard the new Marlin XS7 are better than the first batch that rolled of the line. I was able to shoot a pre-production model and the action was jerky. Seriously, when I first handled an EDGE (ala Axis), the action just didn't seem worth $2. Working the bolt today wasn't a second thought, it was that grip. Savage can keep that reverse recoil lug setup but if they would consider working the stock a little (not a lot, it is their value line) they might sell a few more.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did a trigger job on an Axis recently, piece of cake, and was surprised to see that the action was pillar bedded. Between the two I would go with the Savage without a doubt.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've handled both... and helped an older friend with a Rem 770 and the factory... it came off the shelf brand new at Wally World...

it was chambered in 7 Mag and it would not even chamber a Remington Factory 7 Mag ammo!

sent it back to the factory, and they sent it back saying it was fine...

got it back and it still wouldn't chamber a factory round, right out of the box...

sent it back again, with a nasty letter and they just replaced it...which my friend promptly traded off to a guy who was looking for a 7 Mag, and wanted to trade off a Savage 110 in 30/06 with a botched trigger job on it..

my buddy took the Savage, knowing the trigger was going to need being replaced...

He felt he got the better end of the deal...

The Axis, the 770 and the Marlin side by side, it isn't even a decision that needs thought... the Marlin blows the other two out of the water...

Marlin doesn't make a 223 in their yets and the Axis comes in that chambering.. minus that...the Marlin hand down.. the other two are a POS right out of the box if you ask me..

the 770 feels like a disposable gun and the Savage's one saving grace is one can do a barrel swap on it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.