dhg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I pointed this out on the Ruger website on the 375 Ruger thread:

http://www.ruger.com/promo/hawkeyeVOC.php
and:
http://www.ruger.com/resources/tellTheCEO.html

I thought this justified its own thread, though. Clearly Ruger are starting to design their next M77 design, and want folks who actually hunt with the products to influence the design. I like it when a company seeks to meld its product to the minds of its customers, rather than employing marketing-types to try to meld the minds to the product. And i have something of a soft-spot for Ruger, and i think the Hawkeye is an almost great rifle.

So what do you want on the next Hawkeye?

Things i would like to see:

The action is very rough and wobbly in comparison to the competition (at least in the long action). They really need to fix this as a first priority.

The recoil pads are a joke, which is partly mitigated by the fact the overly short LOP is also a joke. But when i buy a new rifle i shouldn't have to go out and straight away put a new recoil pad on (it often seems to me that half the US firearms industry is devoted to fixing things that just should have been done right in the first place!).

I'd like a change to the safety - either to a Winchester system, or perhaps the old tang brought back.

Other folks at this price point are starting to bed their rifles. To be honest, i reckon most folks would be happy to pay extra for a rifle with a better recoil pad and bedding job.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Make them the old way, with deep blue and walnut!

Last edited by Whelenman; 10/18/11.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dhg
I pointed this out on the Ruger website on the 375 Ruger thread:

http://www.ruger.com/promo/hawkeyeVOC.php
and:
http://www.ruger.com/resources/tellTheCEO.html

I thought this justified its own thread, though. Clearly Ruger are starting to design their next M77 design, and want folks who actually hunt with the products to influence the design. I like it when a company seeks to meld its product to the minds of its customers, rather than employing marketing-types to try to meld the minds to the product. And i have something of a soft-spot for Ruger, and i think the Hawkeye is an almost great rifle.

So what do you want on the next Hawkeye?

Things i would like to see:

The action is very rough and wobbly in comparison to the competition (at least in the long action). They really need to fix this as a first priority.

The recoil pads are a joke, which is partly mitigated by the fact the overly short LOP is also a joke. But when i buy a new rifle i shouldn't have to go out and straight away put a new recoil pad on (it often seems to me that half the US firearms industry is devoted to fixing things that just should have been done right in the first place!).

I'd like a change to the safety - either to a Winchester system, or perhaps the old tang brought back.

Other folks at this price point are starting to bed their rifles. To be honest, i reckon most folks would be happy to pay extra for a rifle with a better recoil pad and bedding job.

Hard to believe it is cheaper to investment cast something then to have it CNC machined so yeah I wish they made a machined reciever. The Safety has too wide an arc and is too small. The Bottom metal should be redesigned to be one piece and they should do away with the angled front screw.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just quit HIDING the blasted safty so deeply into the shroud and I would be pretty happy with them. Safety needs to be useable and findable to an excited and sweaty digit that is trying to get it off..... NOW! Current model is just plain deadly DANGEROUS on a DGR.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just sent my comments to the "Tell the CEO" link you provided. Thanks for the link and info! I ws surprised and dissapointed that the other link asking for votes on the various features did not include the safety issue which, to my thinking, is by far the biggest engineering screw up. Outside of that I really like the rifles as currently produced and built.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Make they the old way, with deep blue and walnut!

My thoughts EXACTLY

I was gonna say "turn it back into a MKII"

Something clever here.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was gonna say "turn it back into a MKII"

Mk.II metal, Hawkeye stock, clean 2.5 pound trigger and bedding that doesn't need work.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Slim down the receiver.

Aluminum rings, (Ruger rings weigh 1/4lb!)

Tap the receiver so you can use other brands of rings.

Ditch the angled screw and go to a winny type lug.

In a nutshell, Rugers are too heavy, as are their components.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like others have said, fix the safety to be a bit longer/wider-but keep it a wing safety. Improve the bluing and offer a high gloss blue as well. Smooth out the effing bolt already. That hitch in the Ruger bolts is serious. Last, and perhaps the biggest reason Rugers always feel incomplete to me, CNC machine out the casting marks. Seeing rough casting pours on the inside of a receiver just seems wrong to me. A three lever trigger would be nice too....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Amen brother.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better trigger, bigger wing on the safety.

Real recoil pad instead of a brick.

They already are bringing back the deep blue but that would have been a wish otherwise.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I could really like the MKII with a tang safety. CRF but tang safety - little as natural as flicking your thumb forward on the tang like that.

I like the LOP as it is. Deer hunting in November can and often does mean snow and cold = heavy clothes which makes that LOP perfect for me.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Didn't they go back to the blued finish of old?

I put my MKII 260 Rem in a Hawkeye stock; it's neat!!! grin

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's my horse beating:
1. Remove gravel from action. It might even weigh less.
2. Roundtop. Or any -top but that proprietary rail with no adjustment and big clunky rings.
3. Tang safety - what's not to like in a good one? Fast, mindless, ambidextrous.
4. Rid of the angled screw

It's like they're marching to their own drummer while scratching nails on the chalkboard. Which is a shame as would like to buy American if the product was more competitive.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
Just quit HIDING the blasted safty so deeply into the shroud and I would be pretty happy with them. Safety needs to be useable and findable to an excited and sweaty digit that is trying to get it off..... NOW! Current model is just plain deadly DANGEROUS on a DGR.

My complaint.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That safety is a bugger isn't it?

`Bring Enough Gun`
dhg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Personally, i also suggested a .450 Marlin. What would be even better would be if they could talk Hornady into full pressure .450 Marlin loads for use in bolt guns and the BLR.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Somehow develop a 60 degree bolt throw on that mauser action. Take the lead out of em. Awesomely accurate, just HEAVY! Of course, this is on rugers in general, not just the hawkeye.

We all need to crawl before we walk, so that we can appreciate the Mossbergs of life.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
1. bigger safety lever
2. normal recoil lug (i.e. 90 degrees in relation to action)
3. normal scope rings and bases that aren't commonly out of anlignment with the reciever
4. Better accuracy as the 6 or 8 I've had haven't average 2" to 4" at 100, but I know others that have had better luck)
5. leave every thing else the same

FYI, shoot them a little and the actions really smooth up for those worrying about action smoothness.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/17/11.
dhg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mudslicks
Somehow develop a 60 degree bolt throw on that mauser action.

I think the closest design to achieving this has been the Sako 85, and to be honest, in general they appear to have been rubbished for it. Personally, i think they got the compromise right and the design is very sound, but i don't know that they have won in the court of public opinion. (When i read a lot of what is written about the 85, i think there is a lot of misunderstanding about the true virtues of CRF, and quite a lot of folks might get a suprise if they watched what happens if they slowly worked the action on a mauser.) Interestingly, it appears TC were planning on trying a similar compromise with the Icon/Venture. I suspect they saw the reception the 85 recieved, and decided they might be safer and cheaper to stick with a more conventional design. In the US marketplace at least, DGR means mauser claw.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.