-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not put the trigger out of their target rifle into the Hawkeye. It's a nice trigger.

`Bring Enough Gun`
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by orion03
Why not put the trigger out of their target rifle into the Hawkeye. It's a nice trigger.

Good point.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A detachable magazine on a bolt action is like mounting curb feelers on a 4x4 pickup. I like Ruger's scope rings. A nicer trigger would be nice. Of the Ruger rifles I've shot the accuracy is plenty good. I've never had a problem with the MKII safety. I like the angled fron action screw. It works so why change it?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Extend the safety maybe, but I like the 3 positions. When the safety is engaged making it impossible for the firing pin to fire is perfect.

Build the stock that would accept a mercury cyclinder to absorb recoil (like the Benelli).

A recoil pad that absorbs recoil.

With a boat paddle stock that had inserts to be able to change lop. One or more of the inserts could be limbsavers. Then you could forget the mercury cyclinder.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope Ruger doesn't listen to all this. I can just barely afford them now which was Bill Ruger's intention all along. This rifle is the best out there in it's price range. Having said all that, an affordable " Super Grade " might be nice.

Last edited by lastround; 10/19/11.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bcp
Three position tang safety. Might as well make it better while they're at it.

I've owned 4 MKII's. Sold them all and went back to tang safety models because of the safety.

Bruce

Sold the only one I've bought to hunt with because of the dang safety. And it was a 6.5x55 too. Three position tang is my choice. You can't make the existing safety but very little wider or it'll overlap the bolt when it's in "fire" position. But it could at least be taller, rounded on top sloping down to the wing, with some checkering on it. Still, a 3 position tang would be great.

The trigger is stupid simple and I like that. But all I've ever tried were creeeeeepy as all get out. That and the overtravel could be fixed with a couple of set screws with limits. I know a real trigger guy can fix them but Ruger's factory triggers are way over-lawyered.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
dhg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't get the problem with the angled bedding screw. However, i pillar-bedded mine, which is cheap and easy and i can't see why Ruger shouldn't do that with factory rifles. If it adds $20 to the cost of the rifle, i'm sure everybody would gladly pay.
And personally, i think Rugers 77 are very accurate. In fact i have no doubt that majority opinion amongst those i know would be that Rugers now outshoot Remington and Winchester. I might not choose them to build a target action from, but they have certainly sorted their barrel problems out.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Ruger's had 40 years to try and prove the angled front screw does something that other systems don't. Is anyone convinced that it accomplishes anything significant????

The wing safety needs a re-design. It's just too small to use easily. Make it bigger or go back to the tang safety.

Boat paddle stocks are ugly. Virtually everyone thought they were ugly until they stopped making them. Now everybody thinks they're cool??

Re-introduce the round-top. It would be nice to throw some Talleys on there.

Can I get a flat-bolt RSI???

Spend a few extra bucks and clean up the casting marks inside the action/smooth up the action.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Make it lose weight, and put on a safety lever I can get my thumb on.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i don't really care how they do the bedding or what not if they could give the rifle a 1" accuracy guarantee (which probably means they would need to change the current bedding method ...). after that i'd like em to put a consistent 3 lb trigger on it. i like that the .257 bob is a regular catalog item, but i'd like for them to bring back the 6.5x55 swede and the 7x57 as well. i kind of like the current weight and LOP, but then i prefer a little heavier rifle because they are easier for me to shoot well.

i have both an old tang safety m77 and a m77 mark II, and i would prefer the tang safety if i had the choice.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sent then a photo of this mod I do to M-77s with Devcon. How hard can it be? They are simple cast parts
[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
dhg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lastround
I hope Ruger doesn't listen to all this. I can just barely afford them now which was Bill Ruger's intention all along. This rifle is the best out there in it's price range.

Most of the suggestions would actually be really cheap to do. Changing the safety is the main theme, and it probably wouldn't cost a cent. Better, thicker recoil pad - a few bucks at most. If you have a look on the Ruger website, a lot of the options they listed would be quite expensive - adjustable stock, detachable magazine...

I looked at that list of options and thought Ruger was heading off in the wrong direction. I just want a plain, old boring mauser-actioned hunting rifle and for what it is worth, i like blued-steel and timber. I just want the current rifle to have a smoother action, the old safety back, and a longer length of pull and a recoil pad that works. In comparison to what Ruger looked to be proposing, my list looks pretty cheap and simple.

And i bet you they have already listened to us here, and i'll put money on the fact the new rifle will have a better safety. I might not get my tang back, but i bet it will be bigger.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
I sent then a photo of this mod I do to M-77s with Devcon. How hard can it be? They are simple cast parts
[Linked Image]

Ugly, yet effective whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just make it a little bigger and more rounded so it doesn't cut your thumb and is easier to operate. Not too much to ask for is it?????

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Removable magazine. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok. I'll go along with the wing modification on the safety. But not a box mag.

Last edited by lastround; 10/19/11.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be tough to be a manufacturer trying to satisfy all of us.

Doug
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
On a wood stocked hawkeye I looked over, the pistol grip area seemed way too thin. I prefer a more hand filling grip than it had.
What others have said about the safety, It feels like you have to pick at the safety before you can push it forward. Would prefer a bigger wing or go back to theor p;d tang safety, or better yet a Savage 110 style tang safety.

The wobble in the bolt is similar to some other mauser style bolts, but they would be wise to make it smoother even if they needed to charge more.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Weird, I have never noticed the safety was hard to "flick" on any of my MKII's. Not sure what you guys are complaining about. I like that it doesn't stick out.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
OK. I missed it. What was Phil's fix for the Ruger too small safety?

Enlighten me....

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,152
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.