Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Looks like some wise guy at the factory put a sub-woofer in there, how's it sound?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
smokepole it is an education on here some days....I see stuff happen to scopes that we just never experienced years past when Leupold's hall mark was that they were considered very tough, reliable scopes....this crap will give a guy pause...

Call me paranoid.... eek

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/17/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Never underestimate the ability of the Leupold Custom shop to screw something up..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Calvin; 10/17/11.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Maybe our nation-leading medical marijuana law is starting to show it's effect in Beaverton... Dude - I forgot to tighten the turret! laugh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Keeripes..... cry

No wonder I hate scopes..... mad

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Maybe our nation-leading medical marijuana law is starting to show it's effect in Beaverton... Dude - I forgot to tighten the turret! laugh

Or "dude, I installed the wrong turrets".. Or "dude, I forgot to install a turret before mailing it back"..

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Cool pics! I always wondered what was inside of there....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had that happen to a Leupold a few years ago too. No fear, it was probably my fault; I didn't focus it correctly! grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Had it happen to a Burris LER scope several years ago. Started putting 3 screws in their caps--hasn't happened since.

Also had a screw cap cover engage the turret as i was screwwing it back on on a Burris. The turret wasn't even up that high either.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hate to sound like a gawd damned curmudgeon, but we ( my old hunting group of about 10 folks) used to beat the hell out of older Leupold M8's and Lyman All Americans;hunting all over the continent and shooting thousands of standard and magnum rounds and I never saw some of the scope problems I see on here from some of this recent manufactured stuff....geezus...

What cracks me up, is this stuff seems to happen over and over again and it seems these makers don't do shidt about it....I just don't understand.... confused

Rant over....I just find it perplexing. frown

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I hate to sound like a gawd damned curmudgeon, but we ( my old hunting group of about 10 folks) used to beat the hell out of older Leupold M8's and Lyman All Americans;hunting all over the continent and shooting thousands of standard and magnum rounds and I never saw some of the scope problems I see on here from some of this recent manufactured stuff....geezus...

What cracks me up, is this stuff seems to happen over and over again and it seems these makers don't do shidt about it....I just don't understand.... confused

It's not just scopes, it's the same way with everything you buy these days. The bottom line is the almighty dollar and to hell with quality and craftsmanship.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Well, guys, welcome to life in the new century. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going hunting with anything I've assembeled in the last few weeks. It's got to have a year in my hands and lots of rds. through it. Even then, it can ahppen. Would you believe I had the forend of my 760 Remington come off in the dark as I made my way to my opening morning hunting spot ? And this was a rifle that had been shot alot for the past year.....
That and I insist on taking another rifle, not just a scope, on my hunting trips. That's because you never know. E

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

It's not just scopes, it's the same way with everything you buy these days. The bottom line is the almighty dollar and to hell with quality and craftsmanship.

Blackheart I was thinking exactly the same thing.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See my post about my scope focus screwing the pooch after about 6 shots. Brand new leupold cds.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Saw it.Hope they make it right for you. frown

One reason I sorta, in some respects, LMAO when guys tell me equipment is "better" today,more sophistcated, better machining and tolerances, blah, blah.

This may all be true......if the stuff holds together.....some of this stuff may be more sophisticated than older gear....but at least the old stuff didn't break down and quit....

We used to buy Leupold because it was the toughest scope available....and they were.......then.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/19/11.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
This is an interesting topic. Barsness commented about the older scopes being more reliable "back then" than they are now. His theory, if I've got it right, is the companies making scopes are making money if they have a reeasonable return rate. If they make them really reliable, including right out of the box, they have to charge alot more to gain not much in a lower return rate.
The other thing is we shooters and rifle looneys are always looking for more from our scopes. Such things cost more, which nobody wants to pay, and increase their chances of having something go wrong.
The best I've been able to learn is that the Leupold fixed magnification hunting and tactical scopes are the most reliable out there. But, of course, nobody publishes their return rates, and there is no independent testing of them for this. E

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
did i count right? did 5 separate guys in this thread say they had this happen to their leupolds?
grin

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

After my experience with the VX3 handgun scope, which is finally "right" and tracking well, I'm not buying new Leupolds. I've had a few M8s and Vari-x IIs on various rifles over the years and they are always reliable, always track well, even with the mushy friction adjustments, and they never lose POI, and I can still see 6.5mm bullet holes at 100 yds with the M8 6x36s I have. Good enough for me, especially when they always perform as advertised.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Eremicus
This is an interesting topic. Barsness commented about the older scopes being more reliable "back then" than they are now. His theory, if I've got it right, is the companies making scopes are making money if they have a reeasonable return rate. If they make them really reliable, including right out of the box, they have to charge alot more to gain not much in a lower return rate.
The other thing is we shooters and rifle looneys are always looking for more from our scopes. Such things cost more, which nobody wants to pay, and increase their chances of having something go wrong.
The best I've been able to learn is that the Leupold fixed magnification hunting and tactical scopes are the most reliable out there. But, of course, nobody publishes their return rates, and there is no independent testing of them for this. E

E don't get me wrong; personally I have had no problem lately,but a friend had this very same thing happen with a new Vx3(turret just popped out)...I have had my issues in the past with some variables, Leupold, Zeiss,and Swaro.My current VX 3 is well behaved....and my 6x36 does just fine.

But what troubles me is the almost chronic problems I see on here, in sharp contrast to what you and I and countless others experienced in the 70's and 80's with their fixed power scopes,and even the older variables, which were legendary for their toughness and reliability....

I can't speak for everyone of course,but over a pretty broad cross section of users back then,there was just never an issue...the optics were never up to Euro standards, but the M8's and even the VX series from back then were like the Everready Bunny....they just never quit,and I cannot recall a single failure, other than one 4X that I literally broke from outright abuse.....it sat on a 338,a 300 magnum and finally quit on a wildcat 358 STA....after maybe 3000+ rounds of magnum ammo,and quite a few hunts.I really couldn't find fault. It was beat to shidt.

But this stuff with brand new scopes is really inexcusable in my view on scopes costing $500+.It just should not be happening....

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/19/11.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It appears that the turrets are probably meant to be super glued or Loc Tited in place. Probably just forgot to do it or else had a bad batch of glue.

It may not actually be anything "wrong" with either Leupie's design or their assembly. What has changed so much over time is the outsourcing of all the minor components of the assembly process. One bad batch of glue and how would they know that ahead of time--unless they have to start independently testing every component in the process before it is used?

I think we are simply seeing the maturing of a market segment (i.e. scope production). Any half decent factory in China can produce cheap mostly useable scopes for very low prices (as in $19 or so). Optics have become a commodity. Commodification forces older businesses either out of business, or into a boutique model.

In the boutique model, the business tries to do everything in-house as much as possible, including maybe something like developing their own glue, so as to control each aspect of their product assembly. Then they sell the new expensive product, which meets great standards, based upon their past name recognition. This of course raises the price through the roof.

Commodification is the end of craftsmanship!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (280rem_cm, 12344mag, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 20 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,967
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.