Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by swarf
OK. I missed it. What was Phil's fix for the Ruger too small safety?

Enlighten me....

Originally Posted by 458Win
I sent then a photo of this mod I do to M-77s with Devcon. How hard can it be? They are simple cast parts
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even the original Winchester M-70 went through two diffferent mods to it's safety lever before it settled on the current one.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like Ruger rifles and they've always been my go-to. The safety could be a little bigger, the action could be a little smoother and the front action screw could be omitted. Wait a minute -- I think I just described a Winchester!

The Hawkeye is labeled the Hawkeye Standard in their catalog. Maybe they could keep the standard "rugged and reliable". They could introduce a Hawkeye Deluxe with some upgrades -- bedded actions, free floated barrels, iron sights and pay a little more attention to the action. They could charge accordingly for these options as well.

Maybe they could use a little refinement, but I'm pretty fond of them the way they are. If I want other options I usually turn to Kimber, Winchester or Remington.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big improvement for me would be drop the name Hawkeye.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Weird, I have never noticed the safety was hard to "flick" on any of my MKII's. Not sure what you guys are complaining about. I like that it doesn't stick out.

I was thinking the same thing.

Don't hunt as much as many people on here and I seem to use different rifles of mine for different animals these days. But my boat paddle 7mm mag had taken a few dozen deer, about half as many antelope and a few elk in conditions from blizzard conditions to 80+ and I've never given a 2nd thought to the safety being too small?

BUT... thankfully we all like different things as it'd be a pretty boring site and an even more boring world if we didn't.

Little smoother action and a little diet would be welcome changes.

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Offer it in 6.5x55 and 7x57; that'd be nice!!

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Offer it in 6.5x55 and 7x57; that'd be nice!!

+1, and offer the option of open sights on 'em.
Aside from that, I've been very pleased with my M77's, in all three variations (tang safety, Mk II and Hawkeye). The only rifles I've hunted with since 1978.

Jeff

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Make one in 375 H&H

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Make the safety a little easier to work with gloves on.

Get rid of the angled front screw to make it easier to bed.

Keep the trigger simple and reliable but a bit of adjustability would be good.

Better recoil pad, although the one on my SS 338 rcm is decent.

Float the barrel and add a least a dab of bedding at the lug.

If they want to run an integral base make it picitinney.

Offer a LA that will handle 3.60 COL without it being to heavy and then offer a 300 and 7mm based on the 375 ruger case that you can seat vld type bullets out a bit and kiss the lands.

Smooth up the feed rails and ramp a bit so they don't scratch the crap out of your brass and feed so rough.

Sounds like a lot but i can't imagine a good recoil pad costing much more per unit and a free float and dab of bedding shouldn't add more than pennies either. The integral picatinney could be unrealistic with investment casting but hey, it could be doable since they probably have to Finnish machinebthem anyways.

They could also have bell and Carlson make them a synthetic stock option like the one on rems Alaskan Ti. That would definatly add some cost but would be a nice option.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 10/19/11.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Weird, I have never noticed the safety was hard to "flick" on any of my MKII's. Not sure what you guys are complaining about. I like that it doesn't stick out.

I'm just used to a M70, if you want it off quickly just jamb your thumb forward and the wing moves, that doesn't work for me with the M77.

IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I'd have McMillan make a stock that duplicates the factory wood.

Ken

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My son has a Ruger MK II in 6mm Remington and I have never had a problem with the safety. It seems large enough and effective to me. We also have 2 Ruger's in our family, my #1B in 6mm and his MK II in 6mm Remington. Both shoot very well! No complaints there at all.

6mm Remington & .280 Remington: Start chambering those two fine cartridges again PLEASE!!

Do NOT put detachable magazines in them, or only specific models if requested. They have a great scope mounting system in my opinion. Possibly heavier but stout and bullet proof!

24" barrels on more chamberings such as 30-06, 280 Remington, 6mm Remington. I know the last two aren't chambered but they should be again! Put longer barrels on more of them guys!

Never had a problem with the angled forend screw. Had my boy's MK II pillar and glass bedded. It shoots 90 gr. E-tips like lazers!

I love the new stock design of the Hawkeye. It feels and looks great. I think Ruger makes a fantastic rifle. I know this doesn't count here, but I want them to keep making #1B's. I have two and would buy more. Best looking of all the #1 models!

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry, that is actually 3 Rugers in our family. Two number 1's and a MK II>

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Make the safety a tad larger.
Make aluminum rings for lighter weight.
Redesign to a larger straight recoil lug and screw.
Scale down some of the excess metal in the receiver.
Make the tab on the bolt bigger, in tandem with the rails, to reduce bolt wobble.

Spend the extra $50 per rifle to pay a craftsman to do the little things that make a rifle great, such as buffing the action rails, working the bolt a thousand times to wear it in, adjust the trigger via file and springs to be creep free and just under 4 pounds, put a dab of epoxy bedding on the new recoil lug, etc.

The basic design of the current Hawkeye is amazing for a hunting rifle.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 6mm
6mm Remington & .280 Remington: Start chambering those two fine cartridges again PLEASE!!

Originally Posted by 6mm
24" barrels on more chamberings such as 30-06, 280 Remington, 6mm Remington. I know the last two aren't chambered but they should be again! Put longer barrels on more of them guys!

Yep. You and I share a fondness for 6mms and .280s.

Kurt

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok, since no one else has said it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Tie it to an anvil, row out to the middle of the Atlantic, and sink it to the bottom. Then go buy the Winchester that you really wanted in the first place. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Ok, since no one else has said it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Tie it to an anvil, row out to the middle of the Atlantic, and sink it to the bottom. Then go buy the Winchester that you really wanted in the first place. smile

now THAT is mean!!!!

Gus

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Sprint11

If only Winchester would make one of their new M70 Extreme Weather's in 375 H&H with a 22" barrel we would be there!

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?mid=535110

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How to improve them?

take accuracy lessons from Savage and Sako. Same goes for Remington and man do they need them lessons!!!!!!!!!!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I put in a lighter trigger spring, aluminum pillars (wood stock) and bedded it. Shoots great, really like the rifle. I do prefer the tang safeties to the wing, flip, whatever their called, safety.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1936M71, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.