Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot split finger (one on top two below the nock) and with no sights. I really wouldn't call it gap shooting as I don't hold my draw long enough to really measure the gap. I grew up shooting recurves by just pointing my hand basically at my target an smoothly drawing and releasing the arrow. I have become pretty accurate that way and that works well for me. I guess it is instinctual. What advantages if any are there to shooting with three fingers below the nock/arrow? Or string walking for that matter. I never really tried any other style and was wondering if I was missing out.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I shoot one finger above two below. I don't measure anything or think of anything. Do you measure or think about throwing a ball? I don't I just throw it, same thing with traditional archery just shoot. But it takes a lot of practice which I find many guys don't want to or can't put in the time. So they turn to other measured methods of shooting. Nothing wrong with it if it works for you.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to shoot three fingers under and did well with it on longer length bows but switched to split fingers to shoot shorter bows and eventually shot all lengths tht way.

Less finger pinch on the top finger, cleaner release, for me anyway. Long distance accuracy went up when I made the switch.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience mirrors fyshbum's. I used to shoot 3-under but switched to split-finger for shooting shorter bows. I shoot more accurately with 3-under and resisted the change for a long time, but I wanted to hunt with the handy shorter bows, and those pretty old recurves on my bowrack keep calling my name. Ironically, I still grab the longbow every time. I just like shooting them better than recurves. Howard Hill said that he was not a good enough archer to shoot recurves accurately. Maybe that's it, I'm not good enough to shoot recurves. Maybe I'll go back to 3-under. That's how I earned my trophies and killed my game. Who knows? Who cares? (don't answer that smile )

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
3 under is louder, probably due the tiller getting out of whack because of the uneven pressure applied to the limbs. Your draw length is shorter with 3 under.

People use it because it gets the arrow under the eye and gaps get smaller.

I have always used split.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
very much of the same opinion. I just draw, focus on the target and let it go when it "feels" right. I have shot compounds in the past that have been top notch with all the do dads ( A Matthews which is collecting dust) and have switched back to a traditional recurve because I find it more fun. Initially I was hung up on sights but have since abandoned them finding that I shot just as well without. I find that I practice or shoot more simply because my recurve is lighter, less complicated and feels better in the hand. Next archery toy will be a long bow without a doubt.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
brinky72 checkout www.MontanaBows.com I have a Whip and love it.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Those are purdy. I had mine built by Steve Turay who owns Northern Mist Bows in Negaunee MI. It's almost too nice to take hunting but I love the way it shoots. I had a PSE Impala before but have used my custom bow exclusively since I bought it four or five years ago. I had it made from Michigan wood, the riser being birds eye maple with an accent strip of dark cherry. It is 55# at 28 inches with about a four to five pound stack per inch and I draw at about 31" I will try to get a good pic of it posted through Photobucket. But those are some pretty bows and it looks like he does beautiful work.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
brinky they are so smooth and you don't notice the stack like most bows. I have the XX Whip. Here is a photo of it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Montana, that is gorgeous. What is the riser made from?

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Black and white Ebony riser, Myrtlewood veneers, and Bamboo core.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot 3 under with a middle finger corner of mouth anchor. Why? because I can use the arrow to sight off of. It works and works very well. You should give it a try before just writing it off. I think it is much easier to stay consistant by using a gap type of aiming system and keeping the arrow as close to the eye as possible reduces the gaps. My point gaps are about 22" below the center of the target from 15-25 yards and point on at 40 yards. BTW, 22" is about the distance from the feet of a deer to the center of his chest. Draw back, check the point to his feet - focus on the chest and make a good release - sounds easy enough doesn't it! Good luck with it.

Last edited by centershot; 10/20/11.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am not writing it off. I know what works for me and my method works very well for me. Well enough to win a shoot or two a year. Wish I had time to enter more then that. But between the compound, sporting clays, hunting, and fishing I just can't find an extra day in the week.

I don't knock anyones method if it works for them. If they ask a question I answer with my answer, yours may vary. Different is what makes the world go round. How boring would it be if we all did the same things the same ways?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It depends whether you want to aim, or shoot instinctively.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'll bet that you good instinctive shooters can shoot baskets with some degree of accuracy, can't you? It's hand-eye coordination. The hand automatically goes where the eye is looking. In short, I don't have it. I can throw balls at a bushel basket at 5 yards all day long and hit it less than 25% of the time. My hand-eye coordination is non-existant. I've spent many hours trying to learn instinctive shooting and I'm a total failure. Some of us MUST aim and use sights or we'll never hit anything.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing wrong with that...just a choice. No offense intended. The only real difference is the ability to cant the bow.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I shoot instinctively, split fingered, canted, and spend VERY little time at 'anchor'. It took several hundred thousand arrows to hone that 'instinct'. lol. I agree that those blessed with good hand/eye coordination can make it work very well.

My shots on game are limited to 30 and under. If you want to really excel at tourneys where longer shots are common, a gap system of some sort is required, imo.

I've screwed around with gapping and even string walking for years, but for my purpose, which is short range hunting and usually in failing light, instinctive shooting is the best method for ME.

YMMV

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Me too, though I limit my shots to around 20 yards. When I want to shoot farther, I carry my compound, which I am proud to do.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Me too, though I limit my shots to around 20 yards. When I want to shoot farther, I carry my compound, which I am proud to do.

I hear ya. I've got a Mathews Switchback XT that I carry when I need to punch a hole at longer range.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't cant my bow when shooting. I guess I know where to put it by practice is the only way to describe it. I can hit a kill zone on a deer out to about 35-40 yards. It may qualify as gap shooting not sure. I just point my hand that is holding the bow at the intended target and adjust for the range how it lines up in reference to the shelf or gap. I don't hold the draw for but a second or two. Never was good with labeling. I do shoot my service weapon almost as well under low light and point shooting as I do with the sights. I guess it's a gift or an aquired skill.

Last edited by brinky72; 10/26/11.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,675
Posts18,513,291
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.