Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Weaver Super Slam -

Is the Dual-X reticle bold or thin? Narrow or wide opening? Compared to a baseline like a Leupold regular Duplex.

Repeatable adjustments? Turret? Adjustment range? Holds zero? Low light? Eyebox? Eye Relief? And of course - focus...

Where are they manufactured? Weaver warranty service? It is lifetime but not transferable...

First hand knowledge appreciated. I do not know anywhere I can see one before buying - but a drastic sale has me very tempted. Don't need skooled on what else is available. Thanks. OT

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought two 3x15x50's from the Natchez sale and with free shipping,it was a deal I couldn't pass on.They are awesome scopes.They both have the Dual-X reticle,thin.The opening is the narrow type like the Leupold.The optics are very clear,adjustments are repeatable,eye relief is four inches plus.Some other specs can be found on Weavers site.From what I've been able to find out,these scopes are made in Japan by LOW,the same company that makes Bushnell Elite scopes.They compare to the Bushnell Elite 4200's and Zeiss Conquest I have.No regrets on my purchase.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe Light Optical Works also made the Weaver Classic Extreme scopes. Those were the equal of any I have seen for clarity, precision and performance.

Sam......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Where is the big sale?

Has anyone tried the 1-5?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep - those are the deals. There are several really great scope deals right now... The Super Slam seems a reasonable way to get into a quality scope w/turret at a great price. L.O.W. has made very good optics over the years. Appreciate the info provided by all. In my continuing indecision, I was out in some fairly persistent rain and fog (clouds) this evening, the old Leupy M8 6x HD was not cutting it, could barely see through it. Ordered up an Elite 4200 3-9 deal to try for my future rain rifle... Still on the fence on the SS.

Any more info on how bold or thin this Weaver Dual-X reticle is? OT

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's the thinner crosshair,exact same as my Bushnell 4200 has.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
FYI, Natchez has a habit of listing some astronomical list price, then the "sale" price to make you think you are really getting a deal.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I checked out prices before I bought mine and I could not find anyone to beat that price anywhere.The closest prices to it was $150-200 more.They may show some inflated prices on their sales,but their sale prices are usually quite good.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by baldhunter
It's the thinner crosshair,exact same as my Bushnell 4200 has.

Thanks

After rebate, a 2-10x42 is $219 or 3-15x50 side focus Hubble unit at $299. Pretty dang low IMO. I'd sure like to see one in person.

Again. The info is appreciated. OT

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here's a video review of the scope.You can see how massive the turrets are.
http://www.theriflescopestore.com/wesusc.html

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These scopes would be a great bargain at half the price...and they are on closeout for good reasons.

The glass they put in these scopes is very good, but they are very heavy for no particular reason that I can see.

I also see no advantage to having exposed pop-up turrets unless you just like to spin knobs all day, on a scope that has a very limited elevation adjustment range.

They are oddball scopes...I'd pass even at those prices...the better models are sold out anyway.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Heavy - agreed, but generally 5x range scopes are. Likely a sign of heavy duty overbuild. Not intended for a lightweight... Stout, like an Elite 6500 to me.

Turrets? They are for those seeking such, rightly so, but dang thems enormous!

Value? Its in the glass you mentioned. A frigg'n bargain compared top glass elsewhere. No hydrophobic coating, bummer.

Oddball? Those big turrets may qualify!

Will I buy? Not likely today. OT

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To be fair, my critique was more directed toward use as a general hunting scope; for shooting at targets, fixed stand, long range or as a varmint type scope, good glass helps and weight and size wouldn't matter, but a very limited adjustment range would.

I guess what one might consider "oddball" could also be looked at as innovative...but... an innovative turret design doesn't mean much in the real world when it runs out of adjustment.

Weaver might have thought about innovating on that a little more before putting this scope on the market.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 2-10 x 42. With a 5:1 erector assembly, additional lenses, a slightly larger objective in addition to the turrets, not hard to see where the weight is. It is a L.O.W. scope, if the turrets and extra zoom range don't appeal, then perhaps the std. Grand Slam is more your speed. The eye relief is very generous on the 2-10 I have and it is in the same class you'd expect from Bushnell Elites, Grand Slams, and other L.O.W. product-- meaning very good.

--Randy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 160user, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,856
Posts18,497,054
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.