-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guy in the local classifieds has a Remington 700 FS 243 for sale. Apparently the FS was a model produced from 1987-1989 with a fiberglass stock, which I was unaware of.

Anyway, does anyone know who produced this fiberglass stock for Remington back then? Any chance it was McMillan? The price is right on the rifle and I may pull the trigger, just was curious if anyone had some insight for me. Thanks!

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wasn't it B&C?

The 700FS and 700RS came out in '87, same year as the Custom Shop 700 KS, Kevlar Stock appeared. I have a long action RS Rynite Stock (solid polyester based material), awaiting an action. The FS is lighter weight than the RS and since its fiberglass, you can shape or repair by adding material with cloth and resin. I don't know if it has a hollow butt filled with foam or what. Buy it, great vintage for a Remy 700. OT

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info, that's good stuff. Definitely going to see if it's still available. Had no idea of that model, as I wasn't even breathing air until late March '87.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The FS stock was made by Brown Precision and is a proprietary design especially for Remington. The pistol grip is the same long open style of their standard model but the forend is much more slender. I've had two, a 7mm Rem. Mag and my current one, a .30-06, both left hand. Some were made with a nice ghost leaf pattern and some were plain grey. FWIW Brown will still make this stock pattern as they still have the mold, or had when I called about 4-5 years ago.

These things were always real sleeper deals. You got an excellent aftermarket stock and barreled action for just a tad more than the going price of a standard Model 700. The recoil lug on the .30-06 is very neatly glass bedded into the stock. All metal is matte finished, including the bolt and the stock is the blind magazine ADL style. The .30-06 with Talley lightweight mounts and a Leupold 4X scope weighs 6 lbs 15 oz. unloaded. Subtract the scope and mounts and the rifle alone will run right about 6 lbs 4 oz. Not bad for a full contour barrel in a long action. A short action .243 will run a couple-three ounces less than that.

Both of mine are/were superbly accurate right out of the box, Remington was at the top of their game back in the late 80's and turned out excellent barrels.

Get it!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The FS stock was made by Brown Precision and is a proprietary design especially for Remington. The pistol grip is the same long open style of their standard model but the forend is much more slender. I've had two, a 7mm Rem. Mag and my current one, a .30-06, both left hand. Some were made with a nice ghost leaf pattern and some were plain grey. FWIW Brown will still make this stock pattern as they still have the mold, or had when I called about 4-5 years ago.

These things were always real sleeper deals. You got an excellent aftermarket stock and barreled action for just a tad more than the going price of a standard Model 700. The recoil lug on the .30-06 is very neatly glass bedded into the stock. All metal is matte finished, including the bolt and the stock is the blind magazine ADL style. The .30-06 with Talley lightweight mounts and a Leupold 4X scope weighs 6 lbs 15 oz. unloaded. Subtract the scope and mounts and the rifle alone will run right about 6 lbs 4 oz. Not bad for a full contour barrel in a long action. A short action .243 will run a couple-three ounces less than that.

Both of mine are/were superbly accurate right out of the box, Remington was at the top of their game back in the late 80's and turned out excellent barrels.

Get it!

Agreed on the late '80s Remington quality!
My '88 production 700 KS (LH of course!) was a superb rifle in all regards.

Get it!!!!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Thanks for the info, that's good stuff. Definitely going to see if it's still available. Had no idea of that model, as I wasn't even breathing air until late March '87.

Well I guess I was wrong on source but you are lucky young man to find one! That 243 ought be a great rifle!

Jim in Idaho - thanks for the correction. Sounds much lighter than a RS. My long action RS weighs 36.7 ounces bare! OT

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I had one of the model 7 fs rifles in 7mm-08. It was extremely nice to hunt deer in the woods with. I needed money more than the rifle at one point. I really wish I could have that one back.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a Model 7FS in .308 and it is handy as a side pocket and light as a feather. A full power .308 load will get your attention but it is a joy to carry about. PH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 36 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.