Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'd like to spend some time dialing in some different rifles at 400-600 meters and checking the tracking on my scopes as well. I don't have much experience past 400 meters so I'd appreciate some input on bags/rests and/or proper technique. I have no plans on ever competing from the bench so I don't want to spend a lot on equipment but I would like to find something more stable than my range bag to help me get everything set up. Thanks!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
HR IC

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you mean for a bench, the Caldwell "Rock" is a pretty good rest for it's low price. I fill the small bag with lead shot for more weight. There are a number of low cost leather rabbit ear rest on the market.

I'm not an expert by any means, but find typical BR style is the most comfy for me. You should be able to find some pics online and there are books on the subject as well. If a righty, you gently squeeze the rabit ears with your left hand for minor adjustments while left elbow rested, your right elbow will rest on a pad or folded towel, right hand very light on the palm.. When you are setting up, snap a few dry fires. When you are set right, the x hairs shouldnt move at all on the snap. Totally relax, don't tense up. It takes alot of practice to do it with rigs that have a stout recoil. I took me a while to get used to light weight nonbraked magnum rifles with that form and being totally relaxed, you definitely should build up to that IMO to avoid any bad habits.

loder

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some excellent sand and toe bags can be made from kids blue jeans. (@$1.00 at car port sales) I had a seamstress sew me up some and she even made a tote handle out of the extra pants seams.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just me, but I do all my longer range work off the ground. Either off a day pack or off a bipod on the front and a rear bad of some sort.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks fellas!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
This is just me, but I do all my longer range work off the ground. Either off a day pack or off a bipod on the front and a rear bad of some sort.

Dober

Same here Mark. I even do all my load work up while shooting prone w/bipod and rear bag. I feel much more comfortable there than on a bench.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've done all my long range work either prone off a backpack or some other MPAJ position.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Haven't seen that for a while. laffin

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I do my load testing typically at night if I"m serious, no mirage and usually can find no wind....

Doing it off a field prone position is fine too, but I don't think it milks out the last nth of accuracy, BUT it will tell you what field accuracy is. Thats two seperate things for me. I try to tweak it all to the best first, then worry about zero's.

Seems like you are load settled and after zero's.

A few things. Remember, wind can be 10 times different on the way to the target.
The wind closest to you is the worst, the wind further downrange does not affect as much.
You have to have a perfect NPA natural point of aim.
Your body has to recoil with the gun straight back... if it recoils and the gun lands to one side or the other of your target, your NPA is off OR you have not the same repeatable body tension for the weapon.

Wind is one factor.
Mirage is a TOTALLY seperate one.

Before you start to shoot, test your position by dry firing until you dry fire and the gun does NOT move any. If its moving at the "hammer" drop, YOU still have work to do on the position.

Tracking for me.... shoot and get zero's and do it again on other days to confirm.

Windage notes, make sure you record WHAT conditions you shoot in, vs what correction was. Without that, shooting for practice does you no good at all. Even if its as simple as.... past 300 yards I will NOT shoot in a wind over X mph.

I'm repeating some stuff here that others put up... but relaxed body is your friend, NO muscle tension to speak of and you fire on your natural respiratory pause, you do not hold your breath, exhale normally and you have about 2-5 seconds to break the shot max, before you stop and recycle a few breaths and relax again and try again.

Shot has to come basically as a complete surprise.

Now that I"ve said all that you have to learn where you have to be perfect on the gun and where you can push the gun fast, the trigger fast etc.... you'll have some scenarios like above.. lets just say 200 and under I can press the trigger in a hurry, and not be perfect on any of the above and still kill a deer. And a prairie dog probably. But not a fly.....

Typically vitals are a large enough target.

As SSG Praslik always said, you ahve to be smooth on the trigger. Don't care if you are smooth, ssmmoooottthhhh or sssssssmmmmmmoooooootttttttthhhhh, as long as your are smooth, you are good.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks for the responses.

I usually hold the grip firmly with my right hand and pull it into my shoulder. I then put the web of my left hand under the butt of the stock.

So.....if you don't use any muscle tension on the rifle - how are you holding it to avoiding getting "bit" by the scope?

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use a sling or bipod. My bipod guns won't come close to getting bit by the scope.

The sling prevents the rest of them. Of course you have to have some muscle tension while shooting, but the point is make your position a kind of bone to bone contact one, as much as you can, so that you don't rely on extra muscle tension to "correct" the sigth picture and fire with.

I really do wiht slings, if I'm checking NPA, exhale and just make myself totally relax, if the gun isn't there I work the position some more. Never fix a problem with muscle tension.

IF I have a lighter gun thats a recoiler say while hunting and using a rest, I just put my non firing hand over teh scope and relax that arm/hand limp then... IE the weight of it but no tension agian. It'll slow it down enough for any normal round one wants to shoot. Maybe not a 378 wtby light rifle...but the rest fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rost495 has it right, IMO.

I shoot for zero off a good a rest & bench before moving to field positions & off backpacks, etc.

I use large & heavy sandbags off the bench for zeroing at whatever range........Actually, a Bulls Bag on top of 4 other stacked bags for the front with a fairly heavy rabbit ear bag on top of another bag in the rear.

Altogether, I probably have 75 lb of sand on the bench.

The end result is all that matters though & everyone has their own preferences.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You use scopes that have enough eye relief for the cartridge you're shooting.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Have used many vises/rests, just don't like them. Shoot all my rifles with harris bipod and rear rabbit ear sandbag. Mainly fire up to 300WBY rifles, mostly 7mms. I make sure rifle is level and pointed at intended target. Mount rifle with the least amount of touching possible. Shoulder barely on pad, hands just lightly cradling grip. I want to remove all possible pressure on rifle. Squeeze easy and should be somewhat surprised at engagement. Get excellent groups if I am up to it. I am a glasses wearer and rarely get bit. Also may help(shooting), I am 280lbs. Don't have alot of flinch issues (lucky?). I have range right outside my door, live on ranch and shoot several times per week working on different guns. Shoot to 600yds but mostly 100-400. Good Luck, TG

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The harris bipod will give worse accuracy than sandbags. But they are the only good hunting bipod. You don't see anyone running them in f class where you are allowed a bipod because they are way to much shot to shot sensitive and sensitive to body tension shot to shot.

That being said, I start on bags to zero initial, verify off the bipod and get distance zero's off the bipod as thats where I generally will be making long shots from, the bipod. Even if I were to make a long shot out of my deer blind, I'd crawl down and go prone to make it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When I go off the bench, I use a set of the Caldwell bags. They are not very expensive, and I filled them with rice. Good stability without too much weight. On the ground, I use a bipod, either a 6-9 or a 9-13. The 6 is preferable, it does not get you up high and is more stable. The 9 is necessary for tall grass and such. Rear bag really helps. Much more stable and repeatable. As Jeff has stated, consistency is the key. Same break every time. Remove as many variables as possible. When consistency is good, then shoot in field positions. Performance off bags may be different than on ground. If you can't hit in the field, your practice at the bench is wasted time.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

I like to do that too, but if the ground is wet and muddy, I much prefer setting up a portable bench.In wet condition, a ground sheet can help, but I still prefer the bench.

Of course, sometimes getting a bench to the firing point is just not practical, so prone is the way to go...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
The harris bipod will give worse accuracy than sandbags. But they are the only good hunting bipod. You don't see anyone running them in f class where you are allowed a bipod because they are way to much shot to shot sensitive and sensitive to body tension shot to shot.

Just curious, but just how much shot to shot variation do you see with the Harris? I know any amount is too much for an F Class shooter, but wondered how its likely to affect us lesser mortals??

Regards,

Peter

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
ask an F class shooter. I shoot irons to this point.

All I'm saying is that I know a couple of good F class shooters and they won't shoot a harris due to repeatablility issues.

My guess is first the feet don't slide on recoil so they kinda hop around, and the springs on there probably vibrate differently from shot to shot.

I'll say this much, at 700 yards off the bench without a bipod I can shoot around 3 inch groups on average. Put it on a bipod and that moves up to around 4 inches almost, but if I pay attention its not enough to matter, if I get sloppy about things setting up for the shot it can go up to MOA groups. I haven't shot much past 700 with the harris at this point. When I have longer shots i get a pack out and go prone over the pack instead.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW I'm only a mere mortal also.... just didn't want that spread around that I was a bad azz or such... I can hold my own most days but there are many better shooters than I.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.