Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
dhg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody own one of these. I know the basics - very well made, 4 lug rear locking action, flag safety. Can anyone tell me any more? Was there just a single action length? What extractor and ejector set-up?

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
As you stated M54?/M60/M65/M68 rifles have a 4 rear lug bolt with a 60 degree bolt throw. These have the smoothest bolt operation of any rifle I own. Sporter and Deluxe models were offered with the M68's being the fanciest of them all. The safety differs between models with the safety on the M68 rotating 90 degrees from forward (vertical) to aft (horizontal). There was only one action length to my knowledge and the extractor/plunger setup is pictured below. The actions are extremely strong and I have it on good authority that White Labs failed to ever blow up their 30-06 test rifle during product safety testing in the 60's. This strength is in part due to the narrowish ejection port that allows for a stiff action while also helping to keep debris out. Loading via the ejection port is possible with the standard protocol being to just load one through the port, invert the rifle and open the floor plate, and drop in three more cartridges. Barrel is 24" with a 1:10 twist for my 7x61. Stock has a Monte Carlo comb and a good amount of cast off. The overall package is about a pound lighter than something like a Sako L61R Finnbear of the same vintage. The M68DL pictured below is one of the last specimens ever manufactured and imported - probably late 1967.

Most Schultz and Larsens were chambered in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. The final version of the cartridge was branded the 7x61 Super as Norma modified the interior case profile to achieve similar ballistics to the competing 7mm Remington Magnum. Norma brass is still available at Graf's and Midway USA. Other somewhat rare M68DL calibers in include .308 Norma, 30-06, .270, .243, .358 Norma, .308, .264 Winchester Magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum, and 22-250.

Build quality is fantastic and superior to anything you will find today in production or semi-custom rifles.

Reference Book (in Danish): http://www.nordfynsk.dk/Programmer/Otterup_gevaerfabrik/udkommet.htm

Reference Video on Schultz and Larsen Rifle Production: http://youtu.be/Hecf_z0lFWQ

M68DL Pics and 7x61 Ammo Info:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

150 gr on left, 154 gr on right...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great info, PB. Thanks!

dhg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great response and beautiful rifle, Powderburn. I will continue to keep an eye out for one.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Good luck in your quest! When you can find one in original condition, they are quite a bargain since most people don't know anything about them. In their prime, Schultz and Larsen rifles were among the most expensive and least well known inside the U.S. Ultimately, S&L was much better at making rifles than they were at marketing against Big Rem, Weatherby, and Sako.

IC B2

dhg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Powder Burn, how much does your rifle weigh?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The S&L M68DL as pictured weighs 8.8lbs on a bathroom scale. A Sako Finnbear with a scope weighs 9.8lbs on that same scale as a comparison. Imperfect scale but it's safe to say it's lighter.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That action looks LOOOONG.

Terry

C
C
I hope you all are still watching this line. I just got my Grandfathers S&L 30-06. I cannot figure the model. It is a 30-06 that should make it a 38dl but as I understand it the 38dl should have rosewood on the forend of the stock. My pistol grip cap and the white line between the butt and the stock are right for the model but not the forend. I'll try and post photos but I need to take another with lower resolution for reduced size.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautifully made rifles and accurate. Don't get much better. My nephew has a few and it don't get much better.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B3

C
C
I cannot get the photo down to under 100k so I cannot post it. The gun looks brand new. The weird thing is there are no markings. The but pad is the only place that says Shultz and Larsen. The barrel only has 30-06 and the action only has 3373 which I'm assuming is the serial number. I just emailed the company in Denmark and sent photos asking if they could tell me more. I just got it and until I get back to Colorado I will not know how it shoots. My father put a Leupold 3X9 scope on it so I've got good quality there. It is a beautiful gun. Has what I think is Ivory inlayed into the sides for the fore stock. Like I said, The barrel inside and out and the receiver look brand knew and the wood is emaculant. I wish I could post a photo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Upload your pics to photobucket first and then post them here.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TC1
That action looks LOOOONG.

Terry

The M54J magnum action is even more impressive especially when it houses legendary .378Magnum cartridge. The recoil is lightning fast and brutal, but as they say the struggle is the glory.

For us gentle souls there were German-made Colt-Sauer rifles.

C
C
How do I post from the photo bucket? I've uploaded them to photobucket.com

C
C
Here is a photo of the rifle

Attached Images
100_2295.jpg (78.26 KB, 1383 downloads)
I got the photo bucket to downsize the photo so it's below 90K. Here is a shot of the rifle
C
C
Here is a close up of the action. I've seen shots of other S&Ls that have the model on the barrel right side. Mine as you can see has nothing. On the left side of the barrel it says 30-06. Others I've seen where it say Schultz and Larsen and model along the top of the action. You can see that mine just has the checkering.

Attached Images
100_2297.jpg (84.62 KB, 1402 downloads)
Last edited by cookcw; 06/19/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once you save the pics to your album there will be four options under each pic.
Click on the bottom one and hit ctrl C. (this is the shortcut for COPY)
Go to the reply where you want to post it and hit ctrl V. (this is the shortcut for PASTE)

Hit submit and it's done.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Powder_Burn
As you stated M54?/M60/M65/M68 rifles have a 4 rear lug bolt with a 60 degree bolt throw. These have the smoothest bolt operation of any rifle I own. Sporter and Deluxe models were offered with the M68's being the fanciest of them all. The safety differs between models with the safety on the M68 rotating 90 degrees from forward (vertical) to aft (horizontal). There was only one action length to my knowledge and the extractor/plunger setup is pictured below. The actions are extremely strong and I have it on good authority that White Labs failed to ever blow up their 30-06 test rifle during product safety testing in the 60's. This strength is in part due to the narrowish ejection port that allows for a stiff action while also helping to keep debris out. Loading via the ejection port is possible with the standard protocol being to just load one through the port, invert the rifle and open the floor plate, and drop in three more cartridges. Barrel is 24" with a 1:10 twist for my 7x61. Stock has a Monte Carlo comb and a good amount of cast off. The overall package is about a pound lighter than something like a Sako L61R Finnbear of the same vintage. The M68DL pictured below is one of the last specimens ever manufactured and imported - probably late 1967.

Most Schultz and Larsens were chambered in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart. The final version of the cartridge was branded the 7x61 Super as Norma modified the interior case profile to achieve similar ballistics to the competing 7mm Remington Magnum. Norma brass is still available at Graf's and Midway USA. Other somewhat rare M68DL calibers in include .308 Norma, 30-06, .270, .243, .358 Norma, .308, .264 Winchester Magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum, and 22-250.

Build quality is fantastic and superior to anything you will find today in production or semi-custom rifles.

Reference Book (in Danish): http://www.nordfynsk.dk/Programmer/Otterup_gevaerfabrik/udkommet.htm

Reference Video on Schultz and Larsen Rifle Production: http://youtu.be/Hecf_z0lFWQ

M68DL Pics and 7x61 Ammo Info:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

150 gr on left, 154 gr on right...

[Linked Image]

What is the twist rate of your rifle? I am getting a M60 with a 1/12" twist and wonder how it will handle slugs greater than 140 grs?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.