Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
congrats. lets see a pic of the rig.

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another Howdy! You can't beat the .308...period.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the interest guys, I'm charging my camera batteries and will soon have pics up. I am a southpaw, so my lefty rifles were limited to Tikka, Ruger, Savage, and Remington. I liked the looks of the 700 CDL, but didn't like the looks of the price tag. Tikkas, I understand, shoot well. I hadn't heard a complaint about Savage's accuracy, and the Ruger never really tripped my trigger, so to speak. I just took my time, looked at my options, and decided the Savage 14/114 was my best option. The wood is beautiful, the fit and finish I would rank up there with anything, the trigger is GREAT, and I can't tell you how well the thing shoots... mainly because I am rained out currently in Iowa and it's driving me crazy! Again, pics will be up soon, before dinner I reckon...

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Welcome to the insanity of the rifleman fraternity. You made a great choice on a rifle and optics. I wish you much luck. I will caution you, that you will probably end up like the rest of us, on a life-long quest to own and shoot the perfect rifle. Have fun with that!

Hmm....I'm still in search of that "perfect" rifle. I'll let you guys know when I find it wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hawkman0206
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice rifle. Who said savages are ugly???? I'm pretty sure it will shoot as good as it looks, it's a savage after all.....And you're a lefty. Bless your heart, Nsaqam will be happy grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you never bought another rifle and scope their would be nothing you couldn't do. Welcome, nice choice, congrats, and good luck. By the way you'll buy more, LOL.

Good luck, Guy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I am fairly new to the site, but am a big fan! I just wanted everyone to know that I bought my first rifle, a Savage 14 308 Win.

Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know. Cheers! Steve.

Congrats and welcome to the Fire! I must warn you, within 3-4 years you'll have a gun safe full of rifles, a reloading press, all kinds of bullets and powder, and then you'll convert to true Loonyism and start buying dies for rifles you don't even own...

Ain't that the truth...

Brett
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That is a VERY nice looking rig you got there!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
thats a nice little rifle.

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. . . I am a southpaw, so my lefty rifles were limited to Tikka, Ruger, Savage, and Remington. . . ..

Lefty eh? Should have gone with the .300 Savage in that case.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very nice. It looks to me you may need a raised cheekpiece to get your eyes up to the scope with a proper cheek weld. Hold the rifle and close your eyes. Mount it naturally without thinking about it. Hold it there and open your eyes. I'll bet you end up looking under the scope. If you are seeing the crosshairs clearly, you are good to go. If you need to raise up, you will need something. Guys who use them call them stock packs. Some guys will make their own out of whatever they have laying around. Allen makes an inexpensive one. I have used an Allen butt stock cartridge carrier with some padding under it to get me up where I needed. I also have a Blackhawk stock pack on my long range rifle with no padding. It depends on how much you need. Try something temporary until you find what works. What ever you do, use something soft, that stock is too nice to mess up.
You may also be able to use lower rings to drop the scope a bit. That may get you enough, or at least help. In my opinion, most gun shops guys don't think about the scoope height. See if your shop will fit a lower set of rings for you. Just make sure the bolt does not hit the objective bell. Most who mount a lot of scopes will remove the bolt prior to setting the rings. That way you don't forget to check.
Good luck and keep us informed, we love to hear stories, good or bad!

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great looking rifle. I've never owned a Savage, but hear they shoot well. Also, good choice on the rings and bases. I much prefer Weaver-style bases and Burris Z-rings to windage adjustable set ups.

That rifle and set up in .308 should cover most big gam hunting in the world.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on catching the fever....careful though, they have a way of multiplying. grin

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,789
Posts18,496,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.