Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok Guys we have had this thread before about what is the best camera, or ar least a great dependable camera. I have posted along with many others the fantastic performance of the canon Powershot series of cameras and just how easy they are with great pictures. I have been using one for a long time. The one I have now is an S1 IS. So whats the problem?

Well many of you that have hunted with me have seen that yellow "otterbox" I carry it around in. It's a drybox made for Kyakers and white water rafting. It fits this camera just perfectly and is likely the only reason it's still working when you consider the kind of duty it sees. Well it seems that I had a lief or piece of bark fall into the case that I did not notice when I closed it. With the lens up and the piece of bark, very small piece, like 1/32 X 1/8" laying on the lens pinched between the lid and the glass it has dulled a tiny spot near the center of the lens making it take photos with a blur in the picture.

Now I don't know anyone with a better camera packing system or anyone who looks after their camera with more field care then I do. Yet even with the ultimate carry system using a dry box the equal of a tiny Pelican airtravel gun case I still manage to screw up the lens.

Now the question: Where do I send this to get it fixed? Who out there on this site knows of lightening fast turnaround for a canon camera repair? Even a core exchange with another working one? I am a bit desperate to have this back quick as it's prime bear hunting season now.

HELP!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My guess is you wore off the lens coating and if that's the case there isn't any easy or quick fix for the problem and it will probably need to go back to the factory to be re-coated or have the lens replaced.

Sounds like your a "little" hard on your cameras so I suggest this might be a good chance to buy another one and use the one being repaired as a spare when it gets back.

Although there are a lot of good reasons to have both cameras be the same model there is a new very small cameral out that has knocked my socks off....the Casio EX- Z750....not only does it take great photos with ease (7 MP) but it will record 1/2 hour of good quality video with sound on a 1 MB flash card. Here's a link for you.

http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseac...3F-51AAF90E09F5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He happens to be right, the Casio 750 is a great camera and it is only $369.90. I would go with a Pentax Optio WP because it is waterproof to 5' and can take more abuse @ $259.90

As far as fixing the camera, if you would like, send it to us and we will take care of it for you. Quality repair is a fact, speed we will do our best on.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's a miracle! I had nothing to lose with this lens so I took a Q-tip and some Leica lens cleaing fluid and cleaned this lens the best I could with some real elbow grease I might add. The dull spot seemed to be reduced by a large amount!

I dried it and took several photos to check. Sure enough it's difficult to see a bad spot now. What the heck I'll keep rubbing. Like some magic wand this Leica lens fluid and a Q-tip have polished the dull distorted section completly away now!

I'm beginning to think it may have been sap or some other drop on the lens from something that I could not rub off without solvent. Maybe it was not dull from abrasion at all, but rather from some foreign sticky crap? Whatever the reason my kharma is good eh. My long time photo partner is back at full function again!

Gotta love these powershots!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (257man, 1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 117LBS, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,264
Posts18,525,337
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.