-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A good gun safe is a sound investment, so you are doing the right thing.

My safe was second-hand, from a trusted dear friend who was upgrading. He still has a key, just in case. The price was just north of your upper range of costs, at $900. He delivered. HEAVY and very secure, which explains the cost of shipping tonnage to distant addresses.

I am not concerned about fire protection inside the safe. I did look long and hard at the vulnerability of the various safes, their locks and doors. See YouTube videos.

Then also look at the position of your safe. Enclose/protect the back and sides, if you can, so that it cannot be tipped over on its side or back. See additional videos. These topics have been covered before in Campfire discussions, so use the Search function.

So, buy a good safe and train your mind:
always use the safe for guns and valuables
place it well, protected from smash and dash thieves
insure your home and valuables at a level you can afford

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Plan on the safe holding about half of the guns they claim to hold. Scoped up the rifles take a lot more room. Guns get nicked and scratched in a safe that holds anywhere near capacity. I am glad I bought mine. It stinks to drop the change required for a pretty good one, but they are nice to have for tax papers, vehicle titles, a piece of jewelry or two. Lots of things that shouldnt be laying around. I dont have anything in my safe really worth breaking into it, but I have plenty in there that I dont want picked up of a table top or out of a drawer.

S
Sleeper Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The ultimate goal is have a house with an extra room/basement that I can turn in to a safe/secure gun room/reloading center/man cave.

That would add a 1st time of defense between the safe and the guns/valuables.

I fill this out in a bit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The best deal I've found is Winchester safes on eBay. The prices are lower than what I've found elsewhere, and the price includes delivery to your driveway.

The safe I'm replacing is a simple fairly heavy gauge steel cabinet with a combination lock. It offers no fire protection, and probably could be pried open in just a few minutes. But it does perfectly well at keeping the grandkids' curious hands out of trouble and keeping casual thieves out.

I'd say that you'll want about twice as much capacity as you have guns. When the safe is stacked to capacity, it is hard to get guns in and out without dinging stocks.

There are fire ratings, and there are fire ratings. Some one hour safes are rated for one hour at 1200F, and some at 1400F. So you can't always compare directly.

Just because a safe is rated for an hour doesn't mean that your guns will all be OK for an hour. It means the safe won't get above a certain temperature. Whether your guns are OK or not is another issue.

Some safes have hinges on one side and locking bars on the other sides. Those are pretty easy to pry open. Safes with locking bars all around are harder to open.

The thing that is holding me up is that Winchester safes can't give me the bolt pattern in the floor. I have to get the safe here, and then put the anchors in the concrete floor. I'm going for something in the $1500 range... couldn't find something I really really liked at half that, which is where I started shopping.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My goal would be to have a gun safe bigger than my house....

Wait a minute, my gun safe may already be bigger than my house. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fort Knox...Defender Series as a minimum.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Scott F
Peal it with a pry bar and a hydraulic device much like fire department jaws of life.

Many safes are made of mild steal and can best be attacked from the side. Some can be attacked with a cordless sawsall.

Some are locked with a lock so simple they can be opened by manipulation in a half hour or so leaving no marks or damage of any kind.

The average burglars time-on-target is less than four minutes, at least the successful ones. Stupid ones hang around longer. Jaws might work, but Joe Burglar ain't bringin' jaws. Pry bar won't work either cause all he'll do is spin the safe in a circle, you have to have something to pry AGAINST. As for cutting a hole in 1/4 steel large enough to remove all the guns with a Dewalt sawsall, I'll believe it when I see it. A big husky/Stihl quickie saw, yeah, but that little battery chit ain't happening. I've run one enough to know.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have opened gun safes in less than five minutes. Hell, one time I opened a post office safe in less than three. And that was doing it without harming anything.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got be to remembering. I once got a nice little note in my service record for opening a nuclear weapons vault on a FFG in less than two minutes but I cheated. Never did tell the brass how I did it but you could have parked a missile in any one of their open mouths after they watched me do it. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a house full of antiques and guns years ago. Had a cherry rope bed valued at ten grand and a pre civil war hutch with original glass worth almost that much. I put an insurance rider on every peace. It was not that much more and it covered replacement cost. I would think a list of your firearms and a specific rider on them would cover the cost.

One advantage of getting rid of all the clutter and living a simple life is you don't have near as much to loose. wink
The riders are too expensive. When you figure the cost monthly or yearly and what you could potentially get back, it's not worth it. IMO, this is the explanation for the proliferation of gunsafes.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It was a long time ago, seventeen years or more but I do not remember it being much more than the standard policy.

Now if my home burned the most I would loose in a couple of grand. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The riders on guns, jewelry, etc. around here, are cost-prohibitive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll second the notion that no matter what you get or spend if someone really wants in they'll get it and quickly. Two years ago near me someone took a welding rig type truck and backed it up the driveway of the victim. Cranked up the generator and compressor and zipped off the top of the safe with a plasma cutter. I figure from the time they backed up till they left they probably weren't there 5 minutes, probably a lot less. It didn't say in the paper what brand of safe but I assume it wasn't a cheapy as they said they got away with 60 guns out of the safe.

Best protection in my mind is to keep what you say about your guns to a minimum and have a safe to deter someone who breaks in on a whim or for something else.

Even in a neighborhood I'm not sure how many neighbors would say anything about a service type truck with loud equipment running being there for 5 minutes.

After Katrina I no longer keep my guns all in the same house/town. Same thing for cash on hand as well.

Last edited by NathanL; 11/02/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 4 inch grinder with a cutting wheel makes quick work of gun safes, especially if you come in from the side. I do not worry with my home owners they refuse to cover the amount of guns I have. A separate policy from another company makes sense if you have a bunch of guns.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A rider on the homeowners insurance doesn't appeal to me because I don't like the idea of having to list everything. Easy way for the gubberment to start gun registration.

But the real reason is that many of us Campfire types buy, sell and swap so often that the list would be no good in a month. Then the insurance company would be charging service fees to update the list once a week. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My ultimate goal?
To live where a safe isn't never needed.

But we can't go back in time.
I'm with Scott 100% on this.
ANY safe can be breached, given enough time and effort.
My aunt and uncle were lockpicks. They won fastest lock opening contests for years...

I've watched him open bank vaults.

All a home safe can do is discourage kids and petty theives.
And buy you some time in the event of fire.

Mine? a cheap , unlined smallish safe. ( too small for everything, but then I have added bedroom safes as well )
Enough to make the wife feel comfortable.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Longbob
You think all that is a quandary. Just wait until you get one and within a year you realize it is about half the size you really need. That quandary hits everyone that has a gun safe.

Still cannot figure out how the guns breed in the dark.

It is exactly like a shop. If I built a hundred by four hundred shop it would half as big as I needed in six months.
Exactly... I've always said that a farmer needs to calculate the area needed to store machinery - then double it.. When the very FIRST shovel touches the ground, double it again and you just might have enough room..

Use the same calcs for a gunsafe.. Trust me on this.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One other valuable (and productive) point, Doc,

....KILL thieves

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EddyBo
A 4 inch grinder with a cutting wheel makes quick work of gun safes, especially if you come in from the side. I do not worry with my home owners they refuse to cover the amount of guns I have. A separate policy from another company makes sense if you have a bunch of guns.

...assuming the owner's not a Black Powder shooter, at which point that goes all awry.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by EddyBo

...assuming the owner's not a Black Powder shooter, at which point that goes all awry justice is served. .

GTC

Fixed it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 55 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,314
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.