Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am one of those guys who beleives in "keep it simple and stupid."

I've already got my vanilla 30-06 that shoots my handloads great, but I would like to develop one load that I can hunt the country (or even world) for non-dangerous game. I want to know its ballistics, etc. like the back of my hand. I would use it from 10 yds to 400 yds.

So, if you had to pick one of the two bullets for the 30-06 to hunt the world, which one would it be? Why?

GB1

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
180 partition or 130TTSX - then flip a coin.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
165 gr. Partition. Simply because I've watched sooooo many Nosler Partition bullets of various calibers and weights do exactly what they are advertised to do - kill stuff dead as long as you put the bullet in a line with the vitals. I'm sure the TTSX will too, I just haven't used it and I've got so many Partitions on the bench that I probably never will.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by herschel34
I am one of those guys who beleives in "keep it simple and stupid."

I've already got my vanilla 30-06 that shoots my handloads great, but I would like to develop one load that I can hunt the country (or even world) for non-dangerous game. I want to know its ballistics, etc. like the back of my hand. I would use it from 10 yds to 400 yds.

So, if you had to pick one of the two bullets for the 30-06 to hunt the world, which one would it be? Why?

180 Partition, hands down. Seen enough wonky things with TSX-type bullets to make me stick with the proven Partition.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 bullets to hunt the world with an 06, I'd say the 180 NPT and the 180 NPT.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
And even the 200gr Partition.... just for variety! wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Eenie meenie Miney Mo.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Partition for me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you had to choose one that would never be wrong in terms of damage: not enough, too much; or effectiveness at any distance, I'll add my vote for the 180 Partition.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

I think I'd agree with dober on this one. If it will shoot the head off of an elk it will do anything...... I still like that picture.. grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Huntr
And even the 200gr Partition.... just for variety! wink

Shoot the 200 NP's in both my '06's as well, unreal penetrator at 2700 ft. per.

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geeez I dunno yet because I haven't hunted the world blush;

but based on what little I know and given the two choices I would grab the 180 Nosler Partition....or a 165 gr Bitterroot. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nod goes to 168 TTSX even more so since Nosler decided to jack the price of their popularity and profit maker the Partition.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nosler sells far more Ballistic Tips than any other bullet--and the AccuBond is now in second place, not the Partition.

My vote is also for the Partition. I've taken a lot of animals with various monometal bullets, whether the TSX, E-Tip or whatever, and in general I've found the Partition to kill quicker--and penetrate plenty. The modern notion is that bullets must exit to kill big game, but I haven't found that to be so....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok ok ok if I had to go with 2 diff bullets for the 06 I'd go with a 150 Horn flat base and a 200 Noz Pt.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
180 Partition!!! But that's because you only mentioned the 2 bullets. IF it were me, it would be a 180 Northfork first and then a 180 Partition second.
I've found that Northforks are slightly more accurate than Partitions, at least in the rifles I use 'em in, they hold together better and don't lose as much weight as well.
Sure, they cost more but so what? You're talking about hunting the world. If you can afford to do that, you can afford the cost of a Northfork or two. Never could understand the concern of bullet cost on a hunting trip. Granted, you don't need a primo bullet for deer or most game in the Lower-48 (elk being the exception) but otherwise.....
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The modern notion is that bullets must exit to kill big game, but I haven't found that to be so....

And I have a collection of recovered mono-metals to prove it........ grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would also choose the Partition (actually prefer the Swift bonded partitions but this specified Nosler. I would choose it because I've shot enough to "know" how it will perform in all cases.

I've used the "alphabet bullets" a lot less, but have seen enough failures to expand when velosity drops (and occationally for no known reason) to make me a bit leery. Not that those "failures" are at all common, but I still have more confidence in the Partition.

The main reason to used the Partition is because it is a "real" hunting bullet. The mono-metal bullets, while apparently generally effective, are the result of an anti-hunting movement to outlaw lead bullets. The mono-metals were NOT designed because they were thought "better" but as a response to this ani-hunting plot (thanks Kalifornia). I will NOT support that movement by using these bullets until required to do so by law.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, Rick, sorry to say it but that's simply not true. The Barnes X was invented long before any lead-free regulations.

Not that they don't fit right in with such regs, as do many other, newer monometal bullets. But that wasn't the reason Randy Brooks developed the X, and kept after it despite many trials in development and improvement over the years. If you have private knowledge that Randy is anti-hunting, then I'd like to hear it--and I know him pretty well.

Another little piece of reality is that most bullet companies sell all over the world, and the European market is substantial. Many of those countries are moving toward lead-free. That's what driving a lot of the recent move toward non-toxic bullets, not California.

The plastic-tipped monos have also pretty much solved the problem of expansion failures.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 67 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.