Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Maybe it's my 55 y/o eyes. But my 6x leupold alaskan scopes with 28mm objective lenses seem as bright as other scopes set at 6x.

IMHO the quality of the glass and it's coating are a bigger deal than the objective lense width. Anyone else concur or is it just me?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prm
Has anyone used a fixed power for eastern woods deer hunting? Can't imagine using 6x in the woods. Not unlike the black timber in CO. Just curious more than anything.

Do it almost on a regular basis these days. Leupold 6x36, 6x42 and this year the 3x20. Last night I could have shot a Deer, with a good rest at 5:05PM-which is the time I quit-out to around 200yards in a field. However, I wouldn't shoot that late at that distance. I watched four Does at perhaps close to that range and at around 5:15PM things were pretty much shut down. Sunset was officially 4:55pm.

Naturally in the woods things would go dark a little sooner.

4x and 6x would only be more of a good thing.

Those with normal vision, who say they will not work, just haven't used them, or haven't used them enough to realize they will. A fat reticle and a fixed scope is hard to beat for woods hunting.

Last edited by battue; 11/30/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A fixed 6x will just look so much brighter than a 3-9x set the same, that it is not much of a comparison. Don't know if it is the extra lenses or what, but variables really dull things down.

A Leupie 4x is still about the most useful scope around for most people's hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
101 - less lens in a fixed and quality coatings matter, IMO.

Battue, for woods ranges, a 6x or even 4x w/an HD, or German 1 or 4 reticle is pretty useful, and a 3x would too, my lil 2.5 w/WD was alittle thin for a coon in the shadows at dusk, but flattened a doe DRT against her brown hide at 75 yds, about the last 15 minutes of legal light.

Years back had a 6x42 HD, M8 on my 700 Swede, dropped a deer at VERY dark dusk light, in heavy brush, around 40 yds, reticle was so prominent, I do believe anything less would have faded/been lost.

DD - I'd say it depends on the 3-9, not that I disagree, but all variables are not created equal.

I may try another 4x33 w/G1 or G4, the former I know is VERY fast, prob the fastest to sight pic I have used. An HD would not be bad, again speaking woods use on those 3 where they shine.

'Lit reticles' are likely also 'fast to sight/bang' also. I like K.I.S.S. and avoid batteries or flashlight powered optics.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
FX3 6X42 HD gets my nod. Just picked it up on the fire a few weeks ago, but it really shines at dusk.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that a short action rifle? What rings are you using?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Contrary to popular belief, lower magnification does not improve low-light performance.

The myth of low-mag brightness is based on a larger exit pupil. But if the exit pupil is large enough (at least 6mm) more magnification will provide a MUCH brighter image. This is because you're essentially twice as close as with a 3x scope. Get closer to anything in dim light and you'll see it better.

And there you have it!..................

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Really, I can't get a normal duplex with a 6x42 in matte? Looks like only heavy, wide, or LR duplexes.

How's the heavy duplex for open field hunting (mule deer, elk, caribou)? I realize it would shine at low light and in the timber/woods, but how about in normal light? Do the large posts obscure anything too much?

I believe you have all converted me to a fixed 6 scope.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Long action 7mm mag, with Leupold low DD's. I almost need the reversible front ring set, but with the generous extended eye relief, it's not a problem for me. I would imagine a standard duplex would be much better in open areas, but I cannot comment because I have not tried the HD in those type of long range open areas. Most of my hunting is in big open mixed pine and hardwood timber, and alot of the deer don't move until right at dark. I still don't understand why they don't offer the 6x42 with a standard reticle. I would bet it would be their leader in sales for that size and series if offered as a standard option.

Last edited by PINEKNOT; 12/01/11.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The heavy duplex in the 6X42 scope is a fantastic hunting scope. The crosshairs are one minute of angle, closer than most of us can hold under field conditions,and those heavy crosshairs are a confidence builder when they are plastered against chest hair on an animal.
Two things I would say, based on my experience of using them for the last 10 years or so, is that you have to choose targets with attention to the larger crosshairs. A diamond of correct size will shrink sight in groups substantially, especially past 100 yards. Secondly, sometimes the 6X42 Leupold can have a little more parallax than desirable. In that case, a trip back to Leupold remedies the problem.
For several years, I have loaned my 270 to a friend from out of state, and he has used it VERY sucessfully on deer, antelope and coyotes at some pretty long ranges. Without scratching the old noggin too hard, I can think of several shots over 300 yards.

Fred

Last edited by Royce; 12/01/11.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PINEKNOT
Long action 7mm mag, with Leupold low DD's. I almost need the reversible front ring set, but with the generous extended eye relief, it's not a problem for me.

I used the same set up on a long action 700, then switched to the extended front base to move the scope back farther. The extended base by itself helped very little, because the base to bell clearance allowed the scope to move back only a little farther. To take advantage of the extended base I need to change to taller rings. I'm not sure if I'll leave it as is or change. It has been long enough that I'm used to it now.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,821
Posts18,496,525
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.