Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
AJD, odor and motion are huge no doubt, but it's rare something glints in nature other than perhaps water. It's not a huge thing, but I won't hunt with a gloss stocked rifle, or one w/high polish.

Looks like the majority is happy w/current blue. Maybe those matte models will get discounted smile

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would be Ok with a "rust blued" barrel and color cased reciever..and "perkier" wood,
besides my big gold chain shines more than my rifle....

Last edited by rifle; 11/06/11.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It would have to be much better than my Hawkeye!
You can almost rub that finish off with your finger.
I like the matte,just needs to be a little more resiliant.
Mike

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like matte as well. It's more pleasing to my eye.

I don't know if game can see the flash of a glossy finish or not, but I don't like shiny on any firearm.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 65BR
Thinking for hunting, it'd be more practical. IIRC Dakota's are matte correct?

Thoughts?

A thick layer of furniture paste wax gooped on and allowed to dry will kill any glare off the highest gloss. The wax protects the rifle from rust in wet/salty environments and if blotchy enough, is an impermanent camo that can be easily removed after the hunt. Something I learned from reading Finn Aagaard.

I would not walk away from a rifle I wanted because it was too shiny.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tip on the wax, c12.

The high gloss metal polish is one of the things I like about the Ruger 77. For some unknown reason, a bit less polish seems appropriate to me on the #1, and that's just the way they are made.

About the only thing I would change on the #1 is to add a bit more spring tension to the lever latch to keep it closed more securely. More tension would be harder on the aluminum trigger guard where the lever latch seats, but I always hold the latch open when closing the lever anyway so it would not matter to me. I actually cut the latch on one particular #1A to shorten it and make it harder to inadvertently open. Glued the end back in place so it didn't leave the latch slot open and ugly. It looks pretty good actually, IIDSSM. You can't see the cut unless you look closely. But you have to point your thumb and get it up in there tight to actuate the latch, and field brush rarely gets to it.

But I digress.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Changes to the #1?

How about?

-- sealing the wood
-- a serious recoil pad on the heavier kickers
-- serious iron sights like the ones on the Boddington and African 77 series
-- a crisp 3lb trigger out of the box
-- a lower profile safety that won't hang up ejected cases

At an MSRP well over $1100, such things are hardly bank busters.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 11/09/11.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Agreed on a lower profile safety tab. I don't mind it when shooting paper because it saves me from chasing empty cases in the prickly brush just behind my bench. However, a lower profile tab would be nice for hunting when a fast follow-up shot might be wanted. Anyone know where a safety tab can be purchased?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 17,178 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,074
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
5 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.