-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Would be a shame to inadvertently put lead back in the ground where it came from....might harm non-target species..... shocked

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plattski
A few guys here don't seem to believe or care that lead remains in their food or harms non-target species, and they claim copper is a conspiracy to eliminate hunting. Not likely. Copper just makes sense - it works great for hunters and satisfies non-hunters concerned with human health and unintended harm to wildlife.

Non-lead bullets and shot are the wave of the future and I look forward to the day when lead is no longer used in ammunition for field use.

It pains me to criticize a bullet with such a loyal following and incredible effectivness but I couldn't disagree with you more. Once (if) lead bullets are banned, the hippies will find a reason to ban copper bullets. I promise.

No different than banning bear baiting. They did that in Colorado, then they moved on and got the spring season eliminated. You can't give them an inch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
A few guys here don't seem to believe or care that lead remains in their food or harms non-target species, and they claim copper is a conspiracy to eliminate hunting. Not likely. Copper just makes sense - it works great for hunters and satisfies non-hunters concerned with human health and unintended harm to wildlife.

Non-lead bullets and shot are the wave of the future and I look forward to the day when lead is no longer used in ammunition for field use.

It pains me to criticize a bullet with such a loyal following and incredible effectivness but I couldn't disagree with you more. Once (if) lead bullets are banned, the hippies will find a reason to ban copper bullets. I promise.

No different than banning bear baiting. They did that in Colorado, then they moved on and got the spring season eliminated. You can't give them an inch.

Dog Hunter
I believe there was some sort of conspiracy back in the day they banned lead shot for migratory birds?
Something to the effect that There really were not many, or any Bald Eagles deaths related to consumption of wounded lead shoot game. Unlike what we have been told.

Proving your point.

There are a lot of reasons we shoot lead. The side effects simply have not been proven.

Another consideration I would have?
In order to make my 'Premium' NBT bullet just barely fit my magazine, loaded to the length that performs best in my rifle, almost touching the rifleing. The bullet would need to be set back into the case further.

My fastest, most accurate elk load is very close to a compressed powder load.
I would have to move to a slightly faster powder. For that alone, it ain't happening.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
No, but a premium shot is.

Once again...probably more wisdom in that post than the Campfire can handle.... cool

I agree with the above two posts,and would take it just one step further and say there is no good reason not combine the good placement with the qualities of a well constructed bullet.
We can argue until the cows come home about whether the reliable penetration, weight retention,consistent expansion,etc of a Premium game bullet are "worth it" or not,but I fail to see when these things ever became handicaps and I would rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them, if you get my drift. smile

Sage wisdom all.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Actually there has never been any concrete proof that migratory birds, condors, etc have died from lead poisioning except maybe those that have been shot. Furthermore all the studies made concernig humans eating tainted meat from lead bullets have been pretty much debunked and have proven to have been done by people with an agenda to push. Even the CDC came out and stated as such.

As for having the capaibility and not needing it or that the so called premium bullets are not a handicap,that is certainly true. But going along with that conjecture would say that we all need to be driving Mercedes, Lexus, BMW ,etc and should junk our Chevies,Fords, Dodges,etc. After all, some of those high end priced autos have many safety features that the plain vanilla ones do not. So even if not needed, we should have them in case they ever are.Kinda like the guy who buys a vehicle with 4wd and never takes it off the pavement. He might someday

Many have bought into all the sales hype that they just have to have these type of bullets or thier hunting trip will be ruined.If they were not avaialble,how many would stop hunting, and how many started hunting after they were developed for that reason.

Those that feel they must use them can rationalized as much as those that feel they don't have to use them, but when it all comes down to it, everyone still uses what they want and that is fine.

However for me it would be liked paying a $500 lady of the evening for an oral sex job when one could go down the street and pay $25 for the same thinbg and feel the same when done.

Too may people are fleeced out of thier money very easily.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/06/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good points.

I can rely see that point when considering new/factory ammo, the price really jumps for a premium bullet.

Reloading, the cost is not as apparent, if you do not figure in the time.

Sort of like finding that $500 dollar gal that likes beer.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
340mag: "IF" you are talking about Elk Hunting with a "premium" Nosler Partition bullet, being necessary - the answer is yes!
Take this from someone who has Hunted Elk for right at 51 years now (and Deer for 53 years)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

A few guys here don't seem to believe or care that lead remains in their food or harms non-target species, and they claim copper is a conspiracy to eliminate hunting. Not likely. Copper just makes sense - it works great for hunters and satisfies non-hunters

1. That's the best laugh I've had in a while. No one I know has found any lead frags in deer meat or bear meat from being shot, WHILE EATING said meat. We don't use buckshot or birdshot.

2. NOTHING satisfies non-hunters short of ELIMINATING hunting.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Brad
Not all "premiums" are the same. In some situations, a more frangible bullet will give quicker kills than a "harder" premium.

At the end of the day, elk only need a bullet to punch through the lungs... most any bullet will do that.

I tend to like Partition's because they have a relatively frangible front half that grenades in the lungs, yet retain a wadcutter shape to punch through and out.

But that's the nitpickings of a rifle nut.

Saddlesore's Sierra Game King's are likely a nearly perfect elk bullet. Ditto Dober's NBT's.

Having seen game kings fail to expand at all, AND overexpand to big stopped by a small pig... I trust em like core lokts... they'll mostly work and be careful what you ask them to do, but beyond that why would one even risk a cup and core when there are better bullets for that uh oh situation. Given the choice to pass shots, yeah, but even then... its risky....having seen weird things from almost ever cup and core bullet out there, from over expansion to very little to perfect performance, I just run a safety bullet instead.

Its kinda like having the extra cubic inches... its there should you need it which can be nice at times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
...I started shooting Barnes copper solids because I got tired of feeding lead fragments from weak bullets (core lokt) to my family, nor do I want to leave lead waste in the field to be eaten by scavengers...

Elemental lead is pretty much harmless unless it's being shot at you. What's dangerous are the various salt compounds that lead forms. The reason paint containing lead is bad is because in older paint formulas organic lead salts were added as a catalyst to harden the paint, the lead salts help the molecules of the paint binder crosslink and it makes for a harder finished product. Those lead salts go straight into the bloodstream when eaten and end up in the brain causing all kinds of neurological problems. Newer catalysts have been developed that don't use lead salts so the paint problem has been fixed.

Where people get confused is thinking that elemental lead and a lead salt are the same thing, they're not. That's like saying chlorine gas and table salt are the same since table salt is composed of sodium and chlorine. Sure they're both in there but their formation into a chemical compound completely alters the properties of both. Pure chlorine is a gas that will kill you if you inhale too much, elemental sodium will make quite a spectacular explosion if you drop it in a bucket of water. Sodium Chloride is just table salt that we use every day to make our french fries taste better.

The theoretical problem with birds injesting lead pellets or bullets is that they have a gizzard which grinds food to a very fine state thus upping the chance that lead salts will form in the stomach which can enter the bloodstream. I'm not fully convinced of the validity of the theory, but enough people are convinced it's true that we've got the resultant lead bans. Humans don't have gizzards so the chance of enough lead salt formation taking place to offer any danger is practically nil. You'd have ingest significant quantities of lead at every meal for a long time for there to be any chance of harmful side effects. The worst thing that's going to happen from your family eating fragments of lead bullets is that their next day's poop is going to be a bit heavier.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Crow hunter - very nice summary post. Right on the money.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've killed a bunch of elk over the years, mostly with a 270 but the last 3 with a 300 WSM. I've used several different bullets but the most reliable has been the good old Speer Hotcore. The only failure I've ever had was an Accubond out of the 300 WSM. It blew up on the shoulder. Luckily, I found the core in the heart so he went down. It didn't do much to the lungs because it expended all it's energy on the near shoulder, which was pulverized. And this was on a 300 yd shot so the bullet had slowed considerably.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well it depends more on what you are lauching your bullets out of more than anything else, I killed more game with Nosler Partitons than anything else. Yea I shot stuff with Barne X 's and Swift A Frames when I couldn't get Noslers, I have shot a lot of deer with speers and hornaday's. Bullets are cheap compared to elk tags and the other expense in time and travel to go hunt elk. I shoot good bullets at game and the cup and core stuff for the most part on paper. 50 partitions is going to last me once I settle on a load, I don't keep reeventing the wheel in that regard, a good 6 or 7 seasons. Its not even Coffee. These days I do all my hunting with a 7mm RM. So I am asking the bullet to do just a tad more, that what I would out of a 7 x 57. Its a moot point 150 gr Nosler Partitions are about a 2.25 a round if you buy the federal loads here in CT or less if you shoot the Fusions, good deer load by the way. Its still very cheap even thou I get a free tag, lic cost 19 bucks, I have the land, there was a huge expense to buy it, but its paid for, my yearly property taxes make those to deer more expensive per pound than Dry agged Bone in Rib Eyes from Allen Brothers. Sure my 7mm RM is a more expensive rifle to shoot per shot but I may just shoot a dozen cartridges out of it a year, I shoot a lot of 22's for pratice and squirrel hunting. No matter what bullet you choose for your hunting, its going to be the cheapest part of what every you are going to hunt. These days for me to go to Montana to hunt elk, its going to be a good 3k in expenses just to go. A bullet to shoot the elk is the least of it, money aside, its finding one to shoot that is the hard part. The the real work begins.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 340mag
yeah I know this is highly controversial,but in most applications I feel the standard bullets do an excellent job, if properly selected for the application, and a great deal of the answer will depend on the game and caliber and conditions under which the bullets are used, what you expect the bullet to do and if your using what might be called a remotely adequate caliber and cartridge for the game and conditions and ranges where your hunting.
most of us have very limited hunting time and using the best bullet you can afford makes sense when your spending thou$and$ on a hunt and bullets are a MINIMAL almost insignificant percentage of the cost.
yet having dressed out probably more game than many guys over the last 40 plus years,Id have to point out that I see very few bullet failures in the field, and darn few if any are occurring in bullets over 180 grains or over 30 caliber if the bullets left the rifle at under 3000fps, and the main consideration was a rather pragmatic,
"did the deer or elk etc die from a well placed shot"
yeah Ive used a 300 wby on elk in the past with 165 grain bullets and had bullets almost vaporize on impact the elk dropped within 10 feet, is that a true bullet failure?
Ive used a 117 grain premium bullet from a 257 wby on mule deer that seemed to have knocked them silly, but the bullet obviously failed to fully expand and exited,leaving a small path of destruction internally, the deer dropped instantly but was still trying to get up when I reached it,is that a true bullet failure?
most of my elk and deer have been killed with 250 grain speer or hornady .338, .358 bullets or speer or hornady 270-300 grain bullets a few to remington 405 grain not one failed to kill.
Ive loaded 150 grain 277 cal and 200 grain 30 caliber speer bullets for decades for guys in our elk camp, Ive yet to see a well hit deer or elk shrug one off or had a hunter in our camp say he hit game and had a long trailing job, unless it was his shot placement that was the cause , and I don,t remember anyone shooting and not recovering game

I'd hunt anything I hunt with a properly-sized cup and core bullet. By that, I mean I'd run on the heavy side and keep MV in the 2600-2800 fps range. It'll work.

But why? When instead I can choose something better?

That's how I see it anyway.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt. When you can upgrade that part, and hedge your bets, for literal pennies, why wouldn't you?

My load of choice began with an inexpensive bullet. I "hedge [my] bets" by using my tried and true load. Don't change horses in mid-stream.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

As for all this about lead salts v. elemental lead, that assumes that nothing happens as lead passes through your gut, stomach acids, etc. I would sure like to see an actual citation to a study showing that you can eat lead fragments without ill effect. You could try explaining the harmlessness of lead to Beethoven, but, wait, he couldn't have heard you because he was deaf from lead poisoning from his favorite mug.

There is extensive evidence that lead in gut piles poisons birds. This isn't something made up by antis, it's basic biology. My rifles happen to shoot copper bullets well, so I use that. I also like not having to be concerned about whether there are lead fragments in meat I feed my kids. It's obviously too late for it to matter to me, but their brains are still developing and somehow internet assurances that elemental lead is OK don't inspire me to take an unnecessary risk with their health. If my rifles did not shoot Barnes well, then I would just use regular bullets, matched to the velocity of the rifle, and not worry about it at all. If I couldn't afford copper bullets, same deal, forget about it.

I think the political issue on this is that if C and C bullets are banned, then lots of rifles lose their utility and value because they don't shoot well with copper.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A lot of people,say there is extensive evidence that lead in gut piles kills birds, but have trouible citing exact studies and ones that do not have an agenda to push

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
A lot of people,say there is extensive evidence that lead in gut piles kills birds, but have trouible citing exact studies and ones that do not have an agenda to push

go to scholar.google.com and type in three words : raptor lead poisoning Then read'em all.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
plattski,

Ah yes! The lead-fragment paranois rears its head again.

Check out this:

www.springerlink.com/index/BFPM6CLJ036W3VKW.pdf

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by AKBoater
I took a backup rifle on a hunt one time because the bullets were $20 cheaper. I had to hold off shooting a real nice buck because I wasn't confident that with my backup rifle. The shot would have been a no brainer with my main gun.

Were the backup gun's bullets made out of marshmallows or something? That makes no sense.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 66 invisible), 15,835 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,200
Posts18,543,557
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.