Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gunchamp
What is the most accurate bolt action 22 lr you can buy out of the box? Not looking to spend cooper money. I've been told the ruger 77/22 or the cz 452. You guys feel that its between those two? Thanks.

How much are you willing to spend?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I would go with a CZ for the money. I have the CZ 452 American and Varmint with trigger jobs and both shoot great. I also have a Win Repro 52 and a Rem 541 T that I love but I always pull out one of the CZs. I like a .22 that feels like a full size centerfire. I shoot CCI minmags and they shoot into the same hole at 25 yards which is perfect for what I need. I can also shoot eggs easily at 100 yards on a calm day without much effort.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Alot of good on the cz. Thats what I've been hearing all over the place. Thanks.

Gunchamp...

I had one final thought to share with you because most of the posts have said nothing about it, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT...

Once you choose your "most accurate" rifle, a "BIGGIE" is the ammo you decide to shoot through it !~!~!

I test over 30 different brands/types of .22 rimfire ammo... and my pillar-bedded CZ453 "Varmint" shot consistently the best (i.e., "most accurately") with Wolf Match/Target .22 rimfire ammo.

Unfortunately, lousy ammo produces lousy groups with amazing consistency... and there's really no way to tell if your rifle is gonna "like" any given brand/type of ammo. There's really no "short-cuts", ya just have to check each brand/type of ammo out and see which one shoots the most accurately IN YOUR RIFLE.

I tried every brand and type of .22 rimfire ammo I could find including the hyper-velocity stuff, the high-velocity stuff, the hollow-pointed stuff and the common so-called standard velocity stuff as well as all the different brands of "target" ammo... and the best was WOLF MATCH/TARGET ammo in my CZ453.

Jus' my 2�... wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

That Wolf Match Target is the real deal. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg and it has been the most accurate ammo in each of 4 .22 rifles and 3 .22 handguns I've tried it in. Can't say it beats the Eley or RWS or whatever since I haven't tried those - they aren't readily available around here and just cost too much for general shooting, but it beat Federal match, CCI standard velocity, Winchester Super-X and put Winchester T-22 to shame (T-22 is junk in my estimation, it didn't shoot worth sh*t in anything).

I laid in 4 bricks of Wolf Match Target all from the same lot and use it sparingly in 100 and 200 yard .22 silhouette matches, and now to prove what any particular firearm is really capable of.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd suggest one look to the world class small bore shooters as opposed to us squirrel shooters here. If anyone would know.... Anschutz will likely be in the mix.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by orion03
Get yourself an old Mossberg Model 44 then go embarras your friends with their high dollar rifles.

24 1/2" bullbarrel pipe with the better part of an entire tree for a stock...rude and crude, but wicked in the accurate dept.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
You may want to look at the Winchester Wildcat - TOZ78. It is a nice inexpensive little .22 bolt that seems very accurate to me. Mine prefers remington target standard velocity for
100 yard shots. I put a cheap tasco pronghorn scope on it and
it makes for a fun day of shooting.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cheap?

My Remington 580 single shot, cost my dad about 64.00 in 1976, will shoot .3"-.5" with SK Jagd Rifle Match; my Cooper 57 shoots the same ammo at .7".

Buy the rifle you want and that fits your budget, then test as many types of ammo you can and you should find at least a few that will group less than .5". This may include ammo that costs 10.00 or more per box which should not be a deterrent if you use it for hunting and not plinking.

Dave

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Annie 1416 shoots tiny little bug holes, but the old Marlin 60 semi does too. Also got the wife a 10-22 in a camo synthetic stock that is amazingly accurate. I have a few other that shoot well too, as the ones that don't shoot well don't stay around here long.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
My most accurate 22lr is my Anschutz 1907 repeater, but it is well above your price range, and very heavy. My Brno Model 4 is very close behind accuracy wise, but they are long out of production, and they are quite heavy as well. However, if you look around a nice one can be had for around $600 to $700. My most accurate sporters in 22lr have been my Cooper Jackson Hunter, my CZ452,my CZ455. and my old Remington 541S. The CZs and my 541 are very close, with the 541S being ever so slightly more accurate, perhaps due to the better trigger. If I had to buy new, I would go with a CZ453.

[b][/b]I have a BRNO Model 4 that I would sell for $600.00 I have not shot it enough to truly know how it shoots. It is heavy with a loonng barrel. I have both the original sites and a set of BRNO rings. Let me know if anyone has interest.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Anschutz and Cooper.

DF

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had Remington, CZ, Kimber, Winchester, Browning and Marlin but the most accurate 22 I've had is the Anschutz 54 I have now.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't forget about the Anschutz/Weatherby. I like their stock more than the factory Anschutz and IIRC, the price is pretty good. One can shop around and do pretty well.

DF

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Annie 1416D
[Linked Image]
Also has an EFR scope in tip-off mounts.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My Cooper Classic would hold it own with the Anschutz .22 LR I had. I liked the way the Cooper looked and subsequently traded the Anschutz.

I had a Cooper LVT in .17 HMR that I moved down the road because it was too heavy for a walking around rifle. My current .17 HMR is an Anschutz 1717 sporter, which has the model 54 action. With certain rounds, like the CCI TNT with Speer HP bullets, it will shoot quarter inch. The LVT never did that.

Anschutz, for accuracy, may be matched, but rarely bettered by factory rifles. They raised the bar pretty high and it would probably take a high end custom rifle, at much greater cost, to better an Annie. And that wouldn't be so easy... smile

DF

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dirtfarmer may be generally correct about Anschutz being tops in accuracy, but that was no so in my case.

My Anshutz was replaced by a Brno 452 because the Brno was more accurate.

The most interesting thing, was that the Anschutz gave really fine accuracy with only a few expensive loads ("Eley Match", and I think the other one was "Eley Club" but I didn't keep the records when I got rid of the rifle more than 25 years ago).

The Brno was much less fussy and bested the Anschutz's best with more than half the loads I tried in the Brno (including some rather cheap ones) so that saved me a lot of cash. At that time, I was into competition shooting and fired about 400 shots per week.

I would not be surprised to find that if you took 100 Anschutz rifles and tested them with, say 10 loads, and compared that to it competitors, the Anschutz might well be at the top of the heap (other than the Rem 40x, that is).

Having shot at quite a few clubs who had "club rifles", I would NOT bet agains CZ coming in very close though!

Cheers,

John

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
jpb,

Sounds like your Anschutz was a real ammo snob. I'd have traded that German huzzy for the Czech any day of the week. Sounds like she is much easier to live with and not such a b___... laugh

You did right.

Df

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jpb
Dirtfarmer may be generally correct about Anschutz (other than the Rem 40x, that is).

John,

I once had a rather rare rifle, a 70's vintage 40X .22LR sporter with clip. It was very accurate, but had such a tight, match chamber, that I found it next to useless with hunting ammo. And hunting squirrels is what I wanted it for. Rather than mess with the chamber, I traded it. Those things are quite expensive as they didn't make that many. It was sorta heavy, too. No regrets about sending it on down the road. My keeper .22LR is a Cooper Classic and I cycled through several, including Kimber, which can't hold a candle to Cooper, IMHO.

I have a CZ, the long barreled one with military type sights. I forget the model number. Thru the Hawkeye borescope, CZ barrels are a work of art, no machine marks at all. They look like a match Krieger. This CZ is super accurate and I can see what you're saying. With top guns, it often gets down to the individual rifle, as they all can vary somewhat even within the same brand and model.

DF

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The long and short of it is that the aforementioned Mossberg, along with CCI standard velocity ammo, is going to be hard to beat field shooting.

Off the bench you will do better with a higher priced gun, but you pay dearly for each 1/10" reduction in group size.

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
For less than $600 get a CZ and have it tweaked or a Savage. For $600-800 I 'd get a used Remingtom 541S it's a beautifull rifle and accurate. For $900-1200 get an Anchutz or a Kimber of Oregon. For $1700 -3500 get a Cooper. It's all about the money.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Man on man alla this talking leaves no time for shooting. Some kid happy with his Cricket would do better, no.smile

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.