Campfire Ranger
G

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by mossbergman
WOW you people lead sheltered lives. when i was younger spankings like this happened alot, if you did not roll over when told you were swatted in the leg until you turned over, and then your licks were handed to you(more like slammed across your ass). this is how discipline works in the south. why do you think southerners have higher morals/values.

:FLAME ON:

You'll get no flames from me mossbergman. Our experiences are similar. Whether the whipping was justified in this case, I couldn't say. I wasn't there and don't know all the details. It's not really my business nor anyone elses here either. But to call what I saw in that video a beating? That is a gross stretch of the facts. I saw an azz whipping with a belt. Deserved or not she appears to be healthy and didn't need a trip to the clinic for it. I did not see a father punching his daughter in the face or kicking her, nor slamming her into the wall. I didn't see any barbwire on that belt. Maybe my eyes don't work or my definition of a beating is just way different than others here.

I saw many azz whippings like that given growing up and had it done to me with a fresh cut switch, hotwheels race car tracks, short piece of garden hose, a thick heavy plastic hair brush, leather belts, wood paddles and just the hand. I don't look back on a single occasion as child abuse although a few times I got it for someone else's transgression. I survived and hold no grudge over it. And I don't see a problem with a whipping done in anger either. The parent's anger is natural for one, especially for more severe wrongdoings or those offenses where the child has been told many times to stop it. And two, that anger is a clear signal to children they've crossed the line just as much as the pain of the whipping is. Ever watch a bitch discipline one of her pups with a snarl and a nip with her teeth? It sure comes off as angry and they figure out what momma wants in a hurry. There is a difference between whipping a child just because one is angry and whipping a child with anger because the kid did something wrong. Children often believe they are abused today because the PC majority tells them they are, when in fact, they were just getting good old fashioned corporal discipline. The parent's authority is undermined by this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a real shame the 5 year statute of limitations has run. This judge is a real prick. Even today he believes his actions were appropriate. I'm glad his daughter had the courage to release the video.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW you people lead sheltered lives. when i was younger spankings like this happened alot, if you did not roll over when told you were swatted in the leg until you turned over, and then your licks were handed to you(more like slammed across your ass). this is how discipline works in the south. why do you think southerners have higher morals/values.

Your a [bleep] idiot.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This makes me sick...regardless of the need for punishment, THIS was excessive...

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

You'll get no flames from me mossbergman. Our experiences are similar. Whether the whipping was justified in this case, I couldn't say. I wasn't there and don't know all the details. It's not really my business nor anyone elses here either. But to call what I saw in that video a beating? That is a gross stretch of the facts. I saw an azz whipping with a belt. Deserved or not she appears to be healthy and didn't need a trip to the clinic for it. I did not see a father punching his daughter in the face or kicking her, nor slamming her into the wall. I didn't see any barbwire on that belt. Maybe my eyes don't work or my definition of a beating is just way different than others here.

I saw many azz whippings like that given growing up and had it done to me with a fresh cut switch, hotwheels race car tracks, short piece of garden hose, a thick heavy plastic hair brush, leather belts, wood paddles and just the hand. I don't look back on a single occasion as child abuse although a few times I got it for someone else's transgression. I survived and hold no grudge over it. And I don't see a problem with a whipping done in anger either. The parent's anger is natural for one, especially for more severe wrongdoings or those offenses where the child has been told many times to stop it. And two, that anger is a clear signal to children they've crossed the line just as much as the pain of the whipping is. Ever watch a bitch discipline one of her pups with a snarl and a nip with her teeth? It sure comes off as angry and they figure out what momma wants in a hurry. There is a difference between whipping a child just because one is angry and whipping a child with anger because the kid did something wrong. Children often believe they are abused today because the PC majority tells them they are, when in fact, they were just getting good old fashioned corporal discipline. The parent's authority is undermined by this.
I lean your way on this. I have to ask myself if we have a better society today, after the general elimination of this sort of disciplining, or was society better when this was closer to the norm, and children were generally respectful of adults, made a sincere effort in school, and were generally well behaved.

I still say that these two did it very badly, but short of broken bones, starvation, internal damage, sexual abuse, or something equally serious, it's none of anyone's business (outside the family, and perhaps the clergy of the Church they attend, if any), especially not some government agency.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I still say that these two did it badly, but short of broken bones, starvation, internal damage, sexual abuse, or something equally serious, it's none of anyone's business, especially not some government agency.

You know I respect you TRH, but cmon man, a 16 year old girl getting whipped like that is everyones business.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Your a [bleep] idiot.
This obviously comes from an undisciplined grammarian. You're (You are, not your) a [bleep] idiot. Clearly you are sophisticated beyond us Southern boys. Keep'em coming Einstein...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The time for children to learn where the "line" is before they are 6 years old. The childs personality is set at that time.
Set the line by that time and you'll have good kids.

Just wondering ghost, you have kids, family, wife?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Your a [bleep] idiot.
This obviously comes from an undisciplined grammarian. You're (You are, not your) a [bleep] idiot. Clearly you are sophisticated beyond us Southern boys. Keep'em coming Einstein...
You're a [bleep] idiot too. There, how's that for grammar! wink

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I still say that these two did it badly, but short of broken bones, starvation, internal damage, sexual abuse, or something equally serious, it's none of anyone's business, especially not some government agency.

You know I respect you TRH, but cmon man, a 16 year old girl getting whipped like that is everyones business.
Follow through to the logical conclusion of that assertion. It means that government is obliged to intervene, short of a child actually being harmed. Who do you think is going to establish the criteria, and what do you suppose that criteria will devolve into? It also means that the government becomes authorized to supervise parenting. I'd rather allow something like this (no lasting physical harm caused) go without government interference than to permit government to involve itself, because the latter means that government will be establishing a criteria, short of actual harm, whereby they investigate and intervene in the family, which should generally remain sacrosanct vis-a-vis government involvement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So TRH and other who think that it wasn't abusive punishment, do you have kids and do you punish them similarly?

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve
So TRH and other who think that it wasn't abusive punishment
I didn't say it wasn't abusive (plenty of good folks were brought up by occasionally abusive parents, and would have been harmed far more by having been removed from that home by a government agency). What I said was that I don't want an agency of government determining a standard of what's "abusive" if it's allowed to include within that standard anything short of actual, lasting, physical harm, sexual abuse, or something of equal severity. Government involvement in the family is far more likely to cause greater harm that greater good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So by that logic we shouldn't let the government decide what constitutes sexual abuse either?

Jesus...

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're a [bleep] idiot too. There, how's that for grammar! wink
That seems about right for your intelligence quotient. Your sentence should have ended with a question mark, but I doubt you were ever corrected as a child; this is probably all new for you. Like before, keep'em coming.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve
So by that logic we shouldn't let the government decide what constitutes sexual abuse either?

Jesus...

That reaches a level of severity whereby even a highly defective, and even potentially harmful, solution is better than no solution at all. I can reverse this and say that by the logic of your position, every family should be assigned a government supervisor to whom the adults must periodically report and receive into the home for an inspection. See? It works both ways. In a situation where there's no non-harmful solution, I think the standard for government interference should be quite high, such as real physical harm or sexual abuse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj
The time for children to learn where the "line" is before they are 6 years old. The childs personality is set at that time.
Set the line by that time and you'll have good kids.

I agree 100% with this. Worked in my family with my kids.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone that supposes that the US is better due to parens patriae is grasping at historical straws. It's not unlike curing a man's toothache by removing his head. The physical pain is gone, but only a fool would argue the man is better off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No more so that I think everyone should be assigned a cop to make sure that they never break any laws.

What we witnessed was evidence of assault. Pure and simple. If presented with evidence of a crime, the authorities should be allowed to prosecute.

If the SOL hadn't run out that guy would have been indited by this point.

Well except in TTRH (The Theoretical Republic of Hawkeye)...

Last edited by Steve; 11/04/11.

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Short of actual harm, it's a family matter. There are lots of defective parents out there, and if the standard is that imperfect parents need charges pressed, then we're on the road to becoming Sweden.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,635
Posts18,512,118
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.