Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I spent the evening with a Bama fan, it was fun!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You are gonna miss a large percentage of your field goals when you attempt 50 yarders...

It ain't like they were driving down the field and missing chip shots.

Don't know that you can call them missed opportunities when there was very little chance of success to begin with.

Gambling is a better word.

I see what your saying, but I also noted the choice to continue to kick field goals. Game turned into a field position game they're lucky they didn't get even more in the butt by it.

At some point I start kicking punts and trying to pin teams on the 5 and see what happens with a possible safety of a short kick to gain possesion rather than just turn the ball over for free with a low percentage kick.

Last edited by NathanL; 11/05/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just got back from watching the game....wow, it lived up to the hype

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are gonna miss a large percentage of your field goals when you attempt 50 yarders...

Don't know that you can call them missed opportunities when there was very little chance of success to begin with.

I'm sure it was a tough choice for Saban. He knew points were going to be precious but IMO he missed 3 chances to flip the field on LSU.
Bama was stringing together drives from deep in their own territory. LSU on average had much shorter field when beginning offensive drives. If the Bama punter pooches a couple instead of attempting those long field goals and holds on defense they would have been the one's starting with a short field.

Last edited by Nail; 11/05/11.

What about guns?When do we get guns?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

One of the "ALL TIME" great games IMHO. The hitting was brutal on both sides. I noticed late in the fourth quarter that bama was wearing down. We were able to tackle Richardson with one man at that point.

I knew this game would be a war and a Miles coached team never gives up

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NathanL
Bama has a lot they can look back on and think WTF were we doing/thinking in this game.

The missed field goals, the call to keep kicking field goals, and the penalties in OT that cost them a chance at even a decent FG.

At half I was thinking LSU is lucky to be where they were after their performance and the bungles by Alabama...

All very true, yet I am sure that there are many who will hail this as an instant classic when in fact it was an undeniably hard-fought, but not that well-played a game.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love a good defensive battle. Well played by both teams, at least on the defensive side of the ball.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Nail

I'm sure it was a tough choice for Saban. He knew points were going to be precious but IMO he missed 3 chances to flip the field on LSU.
Bama was stringing together drives from deep in their own territory. LSU on average had much shorter field when beginning offensive drives. If the Bama punter pooches a couple instead of attempting those long field goals and holds on defense they would have been the one's starting with a short field.

Not a lot of punters that can "pooch" punt well, Brad Wing is an anomaly and is excellent at the "pooch" punt

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Seems the replay official forgot the ground cannot cause a fumble. That kid had that ball caught, and in his possession, when he came down on the 1 yard line for 'Bama.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Apparently not

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad

All very true, yet I am sure that there are many who will hail this as an instant classic when in fact it was an undeniably hard-fought, but not that well-played a game.

I can buy that. Then again, great defenses have a way of making opposing offenses look sloppy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
either of those teams would smother whoever they played in the NC game....and the offenses will look a lot better when they're not playing quasi-NFL defenses. See stats from the previous 8 games.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have to have control of the ball and that includes not juggling the ball.

Just like if you "catch" the ball and juggle it and run out of bounds and gain control of it, it doens't count as a reception.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
those damned Hogs will be chomping at the bits, but I think that's going to be a cochon de lait in Tiger Stadium.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

Not a lot of punters that can "pooch" punt well, Brad Wing is an anomaly and is excellent at the "pooch" punt

You can't do it at all if you don't try. Even one might have made the difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many receiving yards did that back for Alabama have that they kept throwing to coming out of the backfield? I thought if they got to OT they would have run that play over and over till they scored.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
those damned Hogs will be chomping at the bits, but I think that's going to be a cochon de lait in Tiger Stadium.

LOL!!

grin grin grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nail

Or if you must commit suicide, just go for it on 4th down. Better chance of picking up 10 or less than hitting 50 yarders with a D+ kicker...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A boucherie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NathanL
How many receiving yards did that back for Alabama have that they kept throwing to coming out of the backfield? I thought if they got to OT they would have run that play over and over till they scored.

That was the 1st play they ran in OT if I'm not mistaken.

Dropped for a loss.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 17,937 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,891
Posts18,538,544
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.