Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The situation played out pretty much the same in MS as the op described. The problem was that they waited too long to start allowing a significant doe harvest and the population got out of control, now 30 years later we're still trying to get it under control. The latest gimmick the wildlife guys are using is a two week doe only "primitive weapons" season starting tomorrow. That season will run up until the start of the rifle season which is any deer. The two week "primitive weapon" season runs during the last two weeks of bow season which has the bow hunters all upset.

I put "primitive weapons" in quotations because in Mississippi a legal primitive weapon can be a centerfire as small as 35 caliber. The way the rules are written a NEF handi rifle in 35 whelen with a scope is a primitive weapon. I just sighted two in yesterday and got through loading 50 rounds of ammo. Somehow a 200 gr. hornady interlock doing 2700 fps out of a 35 whelen doesn't sound too "primitive".

It's all kind of silly. It would have been much better if they'd managed the population correctly from the get-go instead of trying to fix it now.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm 46 and have yet to shoot a doe. One day.

Thats good if the circumstances were such thats the only way to go. But if you refused, when does needed to be thinned, then I'm a hair upset with you.

You have to do whats best for the herd. You don't just go in to kill on OR the other period because you feel like it.

I have a place here that will likely never see a doe killed because we can't afford it and don't need it. Yet I hunt 2 other places where if you didn't kill does you'd ruin the balance and quality of the herd.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Years in Florida and it was only a weekend for doe and that was it. Then they changed it to a week long and that week pretty much corresponded with the rut. It was nothing to find bucks that week, doe not so much.

Same with living in Louisiana back in the day, one weekend.

Nine years living in Alaska, doe were off limits.

Last year in Texas, all lined up for a doe and out popped a gray fox that I wanted, so down went the fox.

duh, in a hurry and didn't read furhter... ya been doing good from what I see on this post.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Ive got 8 do tags for Wisconsin rifle season its gonna look like s fuzzy pipe organ when im done lol

There should be no complaining about deer sightings if you're going to fill 8 tags

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
drawing for a doe...
JHC!!!
I had 6 standing under my fig tree at 6PM today.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had hoped this thread was referencing Bawney Fwank.

1flier

Black Olives Matter!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I regularly get 1-2 doe tags per year and in NY, you can have 2 signed over to you.

I will shoot a doe anyday of the week...of course, I started hunting when it was legal and expected to kill a doe, so I never went through the period of people thinking less of a doe...

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,761
Posts18,476,523
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.