Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DAMARA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
thinking of putting an order in for a lightweight sporter....around 7.5-8 pounds scoped with a leupold vx3 3.5-10 CDS...

Thinking a 243 or 260 REM...

WHo would you go with and why

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its no contest, not even close - Robert Gradous all the way!!!

I've been there & done that with both of them (couple times) - Robert's work by miles blows GAP away. Robert is so paticular & obsessed with perfection its ridiculous!! He is the only one to touch your rifle - GAP is more assembly line. Robert will also help you with load development/barrel break-in, GAP won't unless you pay the $$$$.

Another thing, you can call & talk to Robert anytime - try talking to your smith at GAP after your order is place - if it happens, it'll be very brief and you'll probably get cut short.

Not here to bash GAP, just stating the facts as they occurred with me. In MY opinion, GAP is way over-rated compared to other smiths out there!!!

PM me if you want my phone # - I can go over all of this in detail!!!!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 11/07/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is really hard to over-rate rifles that come with 1/2 MOA accuracy guaranteees (as the non-typical does), IMO.

That said, I think either would be a fine choice.......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It is tough to say GAP is overrated if you want an accurate rifle. They just built a 7mm-08 on my 700 resembling their non-typical and it is very much a shooter. True, if you expect to pick up the phone and speak with some one every time, there might be more accessible smiths but I did not have any issues. Most of my communication was done via email but they built a very accurate rifle at what I thought was a fair market price for a custom build. I would use them again, no questions asked.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 300MAG

I've there & done that with both of them (couple times) - Robert's work by miles blows GAP away. Robert is so paticular & obsessed with perfection its ridiculous!! He is the only one to touch your rifle - GAP is more assembly line. Robert will also help you with load development/barrel break-in, GAP won't unless you pay the $$$$.

Another thing, you can call & talk to Robert anytime - try talking to your smith at GAP after your order is place - if it happens, it'll be very brief and you'll probably get cut short.

Not here to bash GAP, just stating the facts as they occurred with me. In MY opinion, GAP is way over-rated compared to other smiths out there!!!

++1 on Robert.He builds an "incredable rifle"

Do a search for Robert Gradous on 24hr,6mmbr, Sniper Hide, etc.. You will read nothing but the best of comments on both him and his work.

PM me also if you want my phone # - I will also go over all of this in detail!!!!!

Last edited by andrews1958; 11/06/11.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or.....grin

You could go with something like what I'm gonna move (sell),a

M70/Stls
Stls/Fwt contour/PN 308
Hunter Edge
Talley
PT&G btm metal

Shoots like a fiend and is brand new and ready to ship...grin

Metal work via Redneck

PM me if you have any interest.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cannot comment on GAP, though from what I know you will receive a first class product.

I can say Robert Gradous is outstanding in every aspect of the build. The guy really cares and is a top notch individual.
I recently received my Gradous build with ammunition and have nothing but praise for Mr. Gradous. I received another custom build from a noted builder nearly same day as receiving the Gradous rifle and there is no comparison in any way between the two in regards to quality or customer service.
You can't go wrong choosing Mr. Gradous to build your rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go w/Dober's rifle first, ready to rock and roll, and all quality parts.

If you build, I'd go w/Robert. Nothing against Gap, but Robert is a one man operation w/a keen eye to detail, no shortcuts anywhere and backs his work.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Can't say anything about Gap but I will tell you my history with Robert. I had a rifle built that wasn't perfect (no names will be mentioned) and he took that rifle and did the work that needed to be done. That said, he is current building me a 243 as we speak. He will build it right, just do a search and you will see target pictures posted for proof. He is accessible as previously mentioned. By the way, 243 was not my original caliber choice but not enough difference between what I originally wanted and the 243. This honest opinion came from Robert, but as he told me "I will build you whatever you want."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm with 300MAG. No doubt about it....Gradous all the way.

Primo, Glad to hear Gradous is building you a .243, he has built me two .243's & there both tack-drivers.

1st 3 shots ever fired from new barrel/build .243win at Gradous shop 2 months ago. 40,41,42grains of IMR4350....does not matter, it shoots .250 groups.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by slg888; 11/06/11.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Robert is building my next two once the parts get here. Hopefully this winter....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Having experience with both, I agree with 300MAG. But never underestimate resale value, and GAP's resale quick with little discount.

I've been there & done that with both of them (couple times) - Robert's work by miles blows GAP away. Robert is so paticular & obsessed with perfection its ridiculous!! He is the only one to touch your rifle - GAP is more assembly line. Robert will also help you with load development/barrel break-in, GAP won't unless you pay the $$$$.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Having experience with both, I agree with 300MAG. But never underestimate resale value, and GAP's resale quick with little discount.

Last visit to Gradous shop there were couple new GAP rifles being repaired. According to the guys at www.Diaperhide.com, 'Moon' is the best 'smith there. ....Well,it was one of his being repaired.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
From what I know, that doesn't surprise me one bit. I've been through a few GAPs and one impressed me enough to keep. It is also the best shooting rifle I've ever had. Its an older GAP and interestingly the stamp is an arrow (George).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=ctsmith]

Yes, Resale is to be considered, but I have seen far more GAP rifles for sale vs. Gradous....

I don't build or buy rifles to be re-sold, as my intention is to build a really good one and enjoy it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
How many Gradous rifles have been built vs GAP?

B
B
Robert Gradous is an outstanding rifle builder. His work is top notch and he knows exactly what it takes to build a great performing rifle.

He also happens to be one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I am proud to call him a friend.

George and the GAP folks are also good people and build a heck of a nice rig. GAP has a fine reputation for a reason. Buying a "semi-custom" like the ready to go Non-Typical isn't a bad way to go.

I think rifle performance wise either company will satisfy most shooters. Robert will give you more of the "truly custom" feel.

Mark

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

GAP may be better known than Robert but when you see one of his rifles come up for sale (which is rare) they go real quick.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Higher priced rifles move much more quickly at SH than 24HC. GAPs are beloved over there. You can always move a higher priced GAP at SH. I don't like my odds of anything high priced at 24HC.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
GAPs are beloved over there. You can always move a higher priced GAP at SH. I don't like my odds of anything high priced at 24HC.
The site owner of Sniperhide.com recently spent a week with Gradous. Here is his review..

http://dedicated.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2705800

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 37 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,860
Posts18,497,174
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.