Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yesterday I took a new 200 gr. Nosler Accubond from the new box to check the OAL to the lands. When it was removed from the chamber I noticed the bullet looked different and discovered that the poly tip had broken off. I am thankful that this happened at home and not on a hunt.
Is this a common problem with the Accubonds or just a freak occurence ? Kind of makes me want load the Partition Spitzer to avoid this happening again. Has anybody had this experience ?
Thanks,
Jim

HR IC

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Jim....I had the same thing happen to me loading up 50 rounds for a buddy going on a hunt. My bullets were sitting on a shelf for at least 2 years. They were also nosler 200 accubonds. At first I thought maybe my seating plug was pushing on the tip but I took it apart and it was pushing on the jacket.
I got ahold of noslers 800 number and called in cause I remember a few posts years ago. I got their service line and talked to a nice honest guy there who said they had a problem years ago with a new employee that wasn't installing the tips correctly. He confirmed mine were the right "vintage" via the lot number on the bottom of the box. I asked him what about the 50 I've got loaded. He said tap them on the bench while holding the tip sideways. If they break replace them and if they don't they should be good. Out of 50 I had about 7 bad ones which I had enough bullets to replace. He is sending me 2 boxes to replace my 2 boxes. Not what you want to have happen but great that they got my confidence back. Give Nosler a call....I be they will get your confidence back too!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you very much ! I have emailed the as to the problem, but will call them next week. I really appreciate your post.
Jim

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JimHundley
Yesterday I took a new 200 gr. Nosler Accubond from the new box to check the OAL to the lands. When it was removed from the chamber I noticed the bullet looked different and discovered that the poly tip had broken off. I am thankful that this happened at home and not on a hunt.
Is this a common problem with the Accubonds or just a freak occurence ? Kind of makes me want load the Partition Spitzer to avoid this happening again. Has anybody had this experience ?
Thanks,
Jim

The very big reason I don't consider the AB the best invention since sliced bread.... eek

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by JimHundley
Thanks,
Jim

Curious, your view on all tipped bullets or only the AB?

The very big reason I don't consider the AB the best invention since sliced bread.... eek

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tony I can't speak to all of them, because I have only had this happen with the AB's;and only once....but that "once" was enough for me...... came from the second round down in the magazine.Recoil had jarred it loose I guess. The jagged edge of the open cavity hung up at the juncture of the mag box and feed ramp and would not feed up.

I found the tip had migrated backward into the mag box...it could just as easily have gone forward into the lug recess....who knows? We all know what that could do to the rifle function.

I would have dismissed this as a "one time" occurence, but have opened more than one box of factory stuff loaded with AB's, to find 2-3 tips missing;and the same happened to a friend.So, even though I have hunted with AB's without incident,and admire their great accuracy and ballistics(I do have a lot of them here),I won't use them anymore to hunt with.

If Nosler is having a production issue, I don't want to be the test case.I have other bonded bullets...The advantages are not worth it IMHO.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BobinNH, I have heard of this happening and have personally seen it as well, but I have been assured by the Nosler customer service people that it was an early production issue that has been solved. I guess my question is was your experience recent and with newer bullets? I should point out that I really don't have any skin in the game, just an interest, because I'm a sold out Partition fan.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
superT it was within the last year.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I purchsed a sleeve of 225 grain .338 caliber Accubonds within the last year or so. Approximately 5/50 were missing the tip, which had detached and were lying in the box.

I simply loaded them up to use as practice rounds for field conditions, standing offhand at 100 yds or less.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have seen several of the Accubond tips straight from a new box that were off. And this wasn't with .338 bullets.

I firmly believe it is far more common than the Nosler technician told you.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been shooting the 150 grainers out of my 308 for the past 3 years or so. Probably 5 or 6 boxes (all different lots) with no issues with the tips so far

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been shooting the 165 gr. in my .30-06 and .308 Win for the last 3-4 years now too and have never experienced this problem. Interesting.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Nosler told me it was a very old lot of bullets. The person inserting the tips was having problems. Anyway, Nosler was aware of the problem, was very nice and understanding. They will replace the lot of bullets that I had the " problem " of broken tips.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have been through about 20 boxes of Accubonds over the last couple of years in various calibers (including 2nds in the platic bags) and have never seen a tip missing.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
try shooting a 5 shot group with tips than pull out the tips on on anouther 5 and shot a group.bet you won't see much diff under 500yards or so

Last edited by ldholton; 11/08/11.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ok, ancillary question: given that some of you have noted issues with the tips on Accu-bonds, have any similar issues been observed with Ballistic Tips, or is this phenomenon limited to Accu-bonds??

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
or is this phenomenon limited to Accu-bonds??

It's a phenomenon related to a bad lot of bullets because an employee didn't do his job properly. It can and could happen to any manufacturer. If you have questions or worries call them with your lot number and I'm sure they will tell you if you are at risk.
I use tons of plastic tipped bullets from nosler, hornady, and barnes. I have complete confidence in most all the products I use daily.....but eventually everyone has a manufacturing "oops".

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I bought 500 200ab .308 on 2003. All same lot. I shot 200 of them with no problems back in 2003 2004. I went to load some this year and noticed tips had fallen off in the box. Probably about 7 of them. I called nosler and he said they had some that had bad glue. He let me send them all back and is replacing them with new ones. I am glad they are taking care of me and hope they are good now.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dman.....curious...was the entire tip laying in the box or was it broke off pretty flush with the jacket??

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I've been using 180 and 200 gr 30 cal and 160 .284 for several years now and haven't seen this yet thankfully. However, I have had this issue with the 162 HOR AMAX.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 21, 12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 67 invisible), 13,974 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,278
Posts18,545,082
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.