Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5791957 11/08/11
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Figured I'd share these photos with you, I know the elephant the rest I don't know what they are.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dwarf buffalo, bongo female, forest elephant and my best guess for the last two would be a monkey and a snake!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fortunately, the snake has a hole in its side. Green Mamba?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't think it's a green mamba. The picture has one that was in a cage in a reptile park with me safely on the correct side of the glass. The picture is not that clear but hopefully the color comes out. I believe snakes have a role in the ecology: they on their side and I on mine.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Don't know either but I know it climbs trees because it was after weaver bird nests in a mango tree.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cannot see for sure, but the eyes seem too small for a boomslang (tree snake). I'll try and find somebody who will know for sure.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The second photo looks like a harnessed bushbuck female and calf.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
would bet the snake is a Jamesons mamba.....they range up into the Congo and look like that, scales look right for a mamba.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome photos.
Thanks for sharing

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pinotguy

An absolute possibility. Difficult to say as there is nothing to compare it with for scale but she looks just a bit big for a bushbuck.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PieterKriel

An absolute possibility. Difficult to say as there is nothing to compare it with for scale but she looks just a bit big for a bushbuck.

Coloration and pattern look right for harnessed bushbuck. ??

I sent the picture of the snake to Norman Crooks. The man has a wealth of knowledge regarding snakes, and he could possibly identify.

My son and I stayed at his home before departing Zim earlier this year. Norman has quite a collection of snakes (alive). He gave my son and I the grand tour..... snakes give me the hee�bie�jee�bies! eek

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by PieterKriel

Coloration and pattern look right for harnessed bushbuck. ??

I sent the picture of the snake to Norman Crooks. The man has a wealth of knowledge regarding snakes, and he could possibly identify.

My son and I stayed at his home before departing Zim earlier this year. Norman has quite a collection of snakes (alive). He gave my son and I the grand tour..... snakes give me the hee�bie�jee�bies! eek

be curious to know if my guess is right.....i think it is but there are a whole lot of African colubrids that im not familiar with.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Maybe this is a better shot of the fawn for identification. Some fellas suggested the snake to be a green mamba. If you looked only at the shape of head and eye, scale design you would swear it to be a green mamba as per some expats that live here also. But the body color is all wrong.Go figure??

Last edited by 378Canuck; 11/10/11. Reason: spelling

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
[Linked Image]

Maybe this is a better shot of the fawn for identification. Some fellas suggested the snake to be a green mamba. If you looked only at the shape of head and eye, scale design you would swear it to be a green mamba as per some expats that live here also. But the body color is all wrong.Go figure??

see my post, its a jameson's mamba per my guess....just a different species of mamba and some are colored like that....there are 4 mamba species: black(Dendroaspis polylepis), eastern green(Dendroaspis angusticeps), western green(Dendroaspis viridis) and Jameson's Mamba (Dendroaspis angusticeps)

Jameson's Mamba (Dendroaspis angusticeps)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks rattler, that's very interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gotta head full of useless info, snakes make up a significant portion of the space used for useless info as ive been catching them since i could walk crazy also have kept a number of species....

the wife says if she could find a practical use for the info floating around in my head she will make millions laugh as is im just the walking encyclopedia for the newspaper....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think you got it right rattler. Thanks for the useful info. Mambas have strange poison also since I was told your organs bleed out, since the poison removes the clotting agent in your blood. Would this be correct. Do people actually bleed from their eyes when bit by a mamba?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wrong snake, your thinking boomslang, and yes thats accurate, also a bit delayed, symptoms dont usually start till hours after teh bite....

mamba is neurotoxic, stops your diaphragm from working, heart quits working....big issue with mambas is there venom takes 10-15mg to kill an adult, however when they bite they tend to inject 100-120mg.....before antivenin was developed it was pretty well unheard off for someone to live more than an hour from a black mamba bite.....even now with antivenin being made its a beotch getting someone to it quick enough to do any good...

the other three mambas are less toxic but only slightly so, not that it matters cause they to tend to inject several times what it actually takes to kill you.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 33 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.