Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I had been meaning to catch that program, and just happened up on it last night. Looks like a heck of a bunch of fun to me, and I enjoyed watching the dogs work. My question is, why are they capturing the hogs alive? Why not kill them? I understand that it would be a little tricky shooting amongst that swarm of dogs, but I just wonder what they are actually doing with the hogs when they haul them off.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Had a friend that had a truck from Arkansas come to his place a few times a year to buy all the wild hogs he trapped. They were sold to an exotic game operation for Yankees to shoot.

I know he sold in excess of 300 hogs one year to them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There's folks around here that live capture and then sell them to the big ranches for paying customers to come hunt.

Prices vary depending on size, sex, and coloration.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Beat ya..........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm just a dumb old hilljack, but I figured there had to be more money in that operation than just a bounty or removal fee.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In TX there state certified packers that buy live for slaughter; just like any packer they can't process DOA animals for resale.

Last edited by SAcharlie; 11/13/11.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
In TX there state certified packers that buy live for slaughter; just like any packer they can't process DOA animals for resale.
My wife used to by various cuts of pork from a company over in east Texas. Taste varied from fair to awful so I had her quit buying. Those hogs aren't being feed out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know anything about feral hogs, but what do you guys think of these shot in Ohio. They say our population is on some sort of verge. I don't know what that means, like some population point after which they explode out of control I guess.

These look good size and well fed to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crosshair; 11/13/11.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I had been meaning to catch that program, and just happened up on it last night. Looks like a heck of a bunch of fun to me, and I enjoyed watching the dogs work. My question is, why are they capturing the hogs alive? Why not kill them? I understand that it would be a little tricky shooting amongst that swarm of dogs, but I just wonder what they are actually doing with the hogs when they haul them off.

They are fun. I watched that show one time, so my knowledge of the show is limited, but the Florida guys were the only real hunters on that show. Plus, they were obviously killing the hogs of camera.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some hogs are sold to game ranches and some are also sold live weight to slaughter houses. Most hogs sold have to be at least 100 lbs live weight and there is a big demand overseas. I don't like messing with live hogs and have been practicing the "shoot and release" method for about 15 years. Tom

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pretty sure that it is illegal to transport a live hog in Texas now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hutch
Pretty sure that it is illegal to transport a live hog in Texas now.

I don't think so. I know a guy up in Lampasas that traps live hogs and either feeds them out of sells them for the "Wild Bore" that restaurants sell these days. He was doing pretty good last I heard.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
you can't transport them then release them somewhere else, is how the law is worded i believe.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm fixin' to retire and come to Texas where I'd have plenty of Hogs to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
you can't transport them then release them somewhere else, is how the law is worded i believe.

Correct but it's like saying you can drive faster than 70mph on the interstate either.

Everyday in East Texas you see guys with them in trailers taking them to someplace else for release. Was really popular in the mid 90's when hogs were rare in East Texas. Looking back maybe I should have just shot the pigs in the trailers as they were pulling them down the road.

I thought it was a dumb idea then but nobody doing it could see the downside to it.

Otto is my co-pilot.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I like my bacon with less squeel, please

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Down here anything with an inch and a half of teeth showing counts as a 'trophy boar' and will fetch anywhere from $80 to $175. Meat hogs usually around $40 or $50. They're worth nothing dead.....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The thing I can't figure out down there is all these ranches on these shows say that the hogs are a nuisance and they want rid of them at all cost. The ranchers claim that these hogs may force them out of business but then want to charge you big money to come hunt them. I have checked out several inexpensive hunts for hogs down there through the years but they always place a bag limit on the number that they will allow you to kill. Doesn't really sound like they truely want to get rid of them to me. Give me a green light to kill all I want and a way to get rid of them and I will wear them out for free.

Buy once, cry once.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The ones hunting for free and getting to kill all they want are going through the good ol boy network. Ranchers have learned to exploit the hog populations in their favor. Its gonna cost you to hunt anything on private land in Florida.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In KS, the Fish and Game does not handle hogs. That task was assigned to the Dept Of Agriculture beacuse feral hogs are domestic. I guess that some think that there were always pheasants here. To hunt feral hogs, one must send to the state and get a form that is then filled out with the landowner name, the 1/4/x/1/4 sec where hunting, and who is hunting. This is returned to the state and a permit is issued.

The are paying helicopters to shoot hogs 30mi from my farm. I am sure that Gunny would call this a cluster f*ck.

In the deer regulations in MO, the Fish & Game takes a whole page to ask folks to shoot all feral hogs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,661
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.